SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-15 18:09:51

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

New to Crunchbang

Hi!

My name is Randy. I have been a hardcore Mac user since 1988. Over the past couple of years I have been spending more and more time with Linux (and loving it). What was once a 100% commitment to the Mac has dwindled down to about 15-20%. I am not a techie. Just someone who appreciates a well designed and straightforward distro to use. I am currently trying out Zorin 6, The great Puppy Linux, as well as Manjaro. It was recommended that I try Crunchbang on my old Dell 3000 desktop. I use this PC mainly for audio editing. Puppy Linux so far has been the fastest distro on this machine. The only thing that drives me crazy is always making sure the Save file always stays green.

I like using Openbox because it is lean, and flexible. I would still like to learn how to get the most out of Openbox. As far as I know, Openbox was designed by a student at Carlton University in Ottawa, Canada. Pretty cool!!

I am hoping that Crunchbang will meet all of my needs and that I can use this forum if I stumble. I hope that my journey with Crunchbang is a long one!!

Nice to be part of this forum!

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-11-15 18:12:13

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: New to Crunchbang

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community rmcellig, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#3 2012-11-15 19:05:11

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang, rmcellig, from a former Mac guy from the '90s. In fact, one of the reasons I started using Linux was that with each new predatory cat, MacOS kept outdistancing perfectly good working hardware in the Mac family (like the flavored iMacs, which run great on the PowerPC version of Debian, by the way). We don't have a PowerPC version, but never mind -- this forum and this community rocks, so you're in a good place. Enjoy!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#4 2012-11-15 20:15:26

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks for the Mac info. I agree with you regarding Apple. I just find I have way more options with Linux. Much more flexible!!

Cheers Randy

#5 2012-11-15 20:23:11

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome, mate! Good choice.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#6 2012-11-15 20:38:19

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Now that's interesting smile

Cheers Randy

#7 2012-11-17 02:07:10

benginm
#! Junkie

Salutation Rand! Welcome aboard smile and thanks for flying #! with us cool I hope so too .. kepp on #!'ing .

#8 2012-11-17 02:12:29

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Unfortunately I ran into a problem that made my OS unstable so I might have to use another distro for the time being. I went to modify the Tint2 menu and when I restarted my machine all I got was a black screen with an X in it. sad I am slowly trying to work my way back to a normal Crunchbang system but I think I need some help. At the moment I am switching between Lubuntu as well as the latest Mangaro.

To be fair, I am running Waldorf.

Cheers Randy

#9 2012-11-17 19:36:40

dura
Bloated Gimp

^ this was a picnic error caused through a bodged autostart.sh rather than anything to do with poor old wally  angel

#10 2012-11-19 18:50:57

ThePrisoner

Welcome to the #! nation, Randy.
"Well designed and straightforward to use" are the main reasons I use #!  on my old laptop.  The old boy got to be too painful to use with more bloated distros.  I'm finding its lightweight nature doesn't prevent you from doing pretty much whatever you need, like the video/audio format converting/editing I'm trying to to do (learn) at the moment.  And a thanks to all you guys that are helping me with the learning curve.  big_smile
TP

'Be seeing you!'

Board footer