SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-19 00:17:38

dhave

Going full-throttle systemd?

If I understand correctly, the current Debian way of changing over to systemd is simply to install the systemd package, make a slight change to the kernel line in grub, and watch the magic.

Except that this doesn't produce a "pure" systemd setup, right? Instead, it results in a sort of hybrid systemd+sysvinit, correct? And this can actually be slower than stock crunchbang sysvinit because, as Holger Schurig writes on his excellent page about using systemd on Debian:

That's because Debian's systemd honors /etc/rcS.d/ and /etc/rc2.d/. Every file in those directories are made implicitly into systemd services and started. But all of those files use lots of shell script magic, which make them slow.

I'm at the upper limit of my understanding here, so I'm not at all sure I've got this right.

Anyhow, if the "just install systemd" approach yields a hybrid system, which, for me, is indeed slower to boot than the stock sysvinit crunchbang, I'm wondering how involved it is to make my crunchbang installation pure systemd, as Holger describes.

Yes, I know Holger has already written all about this, but I'm worried that he might be someone so experienced with Linux that what for him is straightforward could be something that I'd be still working through two months from now.

My question: Is it a real pain in the neck (or elsewhere) to strip away sysinit and convert my crunchbang system into a pure systemd one? Or have others of you followed Holger's steps and had good success?

You may well ask why I want to do this.

Simple answer: I don't know. I guess it's the old Linux motto: If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough.

Last edited by dhave (2012-11-19 00:18:48)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-11-19 00:34:36

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: Going full-throttle systemd?

It's both a huge pain in the ass, hard, and not worth it really, because you would not only be needing to constantly compile, but maintain service files. Here's to hoping that after the freeze we'll get a package that removes all the rc scripts. The best thing is to move to Fedora or Suse. I'll hold off on deciding for a month or two until after Fedora 18 ships, The Debian systemd implementation is the biggest disappointment I've had so far. I mean, I get faster boot times, but none of the other benefits.

#3 2012-11-19 00:50:14

dhave

@el_koraco: Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm really glad to hear from somebody who's tried to go pure systemd. For now, I'm thinking I'll stick with crunchbang minus systemd, as I just got here from Arch, which has been running systemd by default for several months. I really like Arch's implementation, as do many Arch users, though it isn't unanimously popular. Anyway, I'm plenty happy learning about Debian via crunchbang and will hope that in the near future a pure systemd implementation for crunchbang is developed.

#4 2012-11-20 03:58:42

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Debian's systemd is indeed a half-assed solution at the moment and even though I use it, there is not much of an advantage vs. SysV, except for boot speed and some easier handling of elevated privileges for normal users (if this is an advantage) On the other hand, I would not change the base system just because of service management - so neither would I change from distro X to Debian because they use this half-baked thing (or pure SysV) nor would I change to Distro Y because systemd is "implemented" there. But that's just a humble opinion. There's still upstart big_smile (naaaah!)

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#5 2012-11-20 10:14:12

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Just forget about systemd for now and Debian is still king.  devil Faster boot times are bloat. ENOUGH  glasses

Board footer