SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-20 00:41:40

hozza
Website

Stevie the TV

Hay #!ers

I've been using Linux for many years now (mainly Ubuntu and Arch), actually I think most of my companies staff use Ubuntu now due to my good word of Linux! So proud that I managed to convert the Windows drones big_smile

I've got a computer hocked up to my telly for shows music etc. and have been meaning to re-install a new Linux OS for months, always amp myself up and bail at the last moment as I just couldn't let go of my beloved if not dying media-server!  yikes

But since I came across #! and it's beautiful approach to Linux, simple, customisable and Openbox (a fav of mine), I could't put it off any longer,. I slapped #! in a VM to have a quick look around and then strait onto "media-server.local", now renamed to "stevie.local" (a refrence to Joey from Friends TV show, when he names his TV, Stevie. Stevie the TV).

Absolutly LOVE #! and everything about it. Really love the Termal "cb-welcome" script!  big_smile VNC works soooo much smother on #! than Ubuntu for some reason!

#! + (iPhone & HippoRemote) = Perfect TV

Just a few small but major improvements I could think of;

1. autostart setup script, similar to the cb-welcome script. This could make it slightly nicer to add/remove bits-and-bobs on first install, such as VNC server, compositing etc.

2. the forum compose new post page, the textarea where the actual post is written is bright white when compared to the rest of the forum theme it stands out like a sore thumb, maybe darken the textarea background to a light grey?

3. System Wide EQ... This is always a biggy when it comes to Linux, it would be lovely if #! was one of the first Linux's to come with a global EQ built in, it was a pig to install "alsaequal", will post a tut soon! smile

Very, very happy with my #! Telly. Will be donating and getting involved in the community in the near future!

facere aut mori conatur

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-20 00:54:24

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: Stevie the TV

Welcome to CrunchBang, hozza -- and enjoy that #! Telly! smile

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#3 2012-11-20 00:57:45

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Other distros have pulseaudio-equalizer, Debian has decided in its infinite wisdom not to package it.

#4 2012-11-20 00:58:55

hozza
Website

el_koraco wrote:

Other distros have pulseaudio-equalizer, Debian has decided in its infinite wisdom not to package it.

WHY?!?!

Can't we add it back in?

Last edited by hozza (2012-11-20 01:03:35)

facere aut mori conatur

#5 2012-11-20 05:53:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Waldorf (the current Testing pre-release, based on Debian Wheezy) has PulseAudio by default; I'm usually reluctant to recommend the Testing release, but in your case it might be better for you.  Be aware that the Waldorf live images are (currently) too large for a standard CD, so hopefully the media server you'd be putting it on can boot from USB or DVD.

The color of the text input area is determined by your GTK theme.  There aren't many that have dark text areas, but you can browse box-look.org for some.  One that's available in the Debian repos is Xfce-Dusk, which is in the package xfwm4-themes.

#6 2012-11-20 13:09:51

hozza
Website

pvsage wrote:

Waldorf (the current Testing pre-release, based on Debian Wheezy) has PulseAudio by default; I'm usually reluctant to recommend the Testing release, but in your case it might be better for you.  Be aware that the Waldorf live images are (currently) too large for a standard CD, so hopefully the media server you'd be putting it on can boot from USB or DVD.

Do you know when Waldorf is suppost to release?

pvsage wrote:

The color of the text input area is determined by your GTK theme.  There aren't many that have dark text areas, but you can browse box-look.org for some.  One that's available in the Debian repos is Xfce-Dusk, which is in the package xfwm4-themes.

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick there. In this part of my OP I was talking about the forum website, there would have to be a small CSS change for the textarea to be darkened. Nothing to do with the #! OS smile

facere aut mori conatur

#7 2012-11-20 13:28:51

pvsage
Internal Affairs

The way the CSS for the forums is currently set up, the text & background for the text entry area is indeed determined by the GTK theme.  Not sure if the CSS can be modified to override this or not.

Waldorf will become stable about the same time Wheezy goes stable, which will be "when it is ready"; this is The Debian Way.  Exactly when Waldorf goes stable in relation to the Wheezy release date is entirely up to Corenominal, our benevolent despot and the sole developer of CrunchBang.

#8 2012-11-20 19:58:39

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community hozza, we are glad to have you!

I always find the latest deb of pulseaudio equalizer from here and use gdebi to install it with no issues.

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#9 2012-11-21 00:05:56

benginm
#! Junkie

Salutation hozza! Welcome aboard smile and thanks for flying #! with us cool I so hope that you'll enjoy your stay .

I am sure your suggestions will  fit more on the proper section
    » Feedback & Suggestions

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewforum.php?id=3

thanks for your suggestions , keep on #!'ing  glasses

Board footer