SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-27 19:15:56

r0n d0n

A long overdue thanks...

I just wanted to say thank you to all of those behind the scenes and on these forums making it possible for complete newbies like myself to transition into Linux. I was hesitant at first since I had just went through my 4th reinstall of Fedora after god knows what I did. Luckily I took a detour while I was navigating towards Debian, and couldn't be happier. It's amazing a distro this size can surpass the ease of troubleshooting problems and beyond compared to a giant like RH's Fedora.  These past few months have been a great learning opportunity for me that I can't imagine any other way. Pouring over threads, wearing out the search button, but never needing to even register to ask anything because it has already been answered for me.

I had just noticed #! on the charts over at Distrowatch and thought I would share. It is a reflection of the untold hours of work that comes with any success in life,  but I believe the best is yet to come. When you have a good product, word gets around.

image.png

>lurk moar

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-27 22:33:42

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: A long overdue thanks...

Great, thank you for the nice post, although I'm not involved in developing CB in any way. But it's good to hear that new users to linux find it approachable and easing their transition. Happy learning! It will take a good number of years and there's always more.  devil  cry   smile

Last edited by Barnabyh (2012-11-27 22:37:02)

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#3 2012-11-27 23:07:04

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome, Ron!

I also invested many years in trying to use Fedora as my OS.  The majority of things I tried to do or install became a lesson in futility.  I spent a lot of time in Ubuntu and it's derivatives, wanting to try but staying away from Debian after experiencing it's support community.  I have found #! to be the absolute best of both worlds.  A fantastic and finely tuned OS with a pleasant and helpful community surrounding it.

#4 2012-11-28 01:38:51

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

schwim wrote:

staying away from Debian after experiencing it's support community.

Yes, they scared me away as well. What a contrast to this community, where I have made in excess of 100 posts before even installing #! on my primary machine! yikes smile

#5 2012-11-28 15:20:36

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

schwim wrote:

...but staying away from Debian after experiencing it's support community.

Yes, that is a sad thing unfortunately and won't even change in the near future if you refer to two forum communities that exist at present. Just forget about them, Debian is more than those communities.

Board footer