SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-10 20:15:36

ThePrisoner

DVD Authoring Software

Hi all,
I've got a collection of video cam footage I shot and saved on my SGIs as MOV format files.  I want to convert these files to a different format (XVID or MPEG-4?) and and burn them to DVD with chapters, menus, backgrounds, etc.  I've never done DVD authoring before, so has anyone got experience and suggestions on how to do this and what good software's available to use for #!?  Thanks,
TP

Last edited by ThePrisoner (2012-11-11 15:47:50)

'Be seeing you!'

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-10 20:29:50

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: DVD Authoring Software

I think the most user-friendly DVD authoring software in the Debian repos is probably k3b.  Be aware that installing this will pull in quite a few KDE dependencies.

#3 2012-11-11 01:58:25

greywolf

I have been doing this for SOOO many years smile. It is one of my main uses of home computer.

These can only be personal preferences, not strict recommendations as 'the best'; but, Devede is my preferred authoring package and Avidemux has always handled any conversion I need, particularly into dvd compliant mpg files.

Note, for 'special' files such as Topfield '.rec' files ( mpg with special headers in them) first remove extra stuff by demuxing with ProjectX and then remux into dvd compliant file with 'mplex' from the cli in a terminal. This is part of mjpegtools package.

YMMV so you should search Synaptic for 'dvd' and try a few yourself is the best way to choose.

By the way, whilst I use K3b to burn the final iso image to the actual dvd, I don't think it does the authoring job - ie creating menus, decoding etc.

cheers,
Greywolf.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

#4 2012-11-11 06:23:20

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

There is always the cross-platform DVDStyler.

#5 2012-11-11 07:03:01

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

I have also spent hours looking for, testing and fiddling with softwares just to create DVDs with good looking menus. My first conclusion is:

In linux, the situation is HORRIBLE.

Most of the softwares I've tried have annoying bugs or will allow you to make at best static menus (i.e. background pic + audio + text link to your videos). I agree with greywolf about Devede, it is not bad compared to many other softwares, but is still extremely poor to non-free alternatives on Windows.

So here are my  humble recommendations:
- If you do not need editing of your files and just converting them to a DVD compliant format, use ffmpeg. It is fast and since it is a command line application, you will know what is happening instead of having a  2-hour-long static "generating menu" dialog box. For example:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -aspect 16:9 -acodec ac3 -target ntsc-dvd -r 29.97 -threads 4 output.vob

to have your video converted to a 16:9, ac3 sound, NTSC DVD compliant vob file using 4 threads. Adjust the command to your requirements!

- If you need to join some files of the same format, just use the cat command. For example

cat * > joined.mov

This will join all videos in your folder into one joined.mov file. Again, adjust the command to your requirements. Note that the generated file will not play entirely in your media player but after conversion with ffmpeg the index will be re-built and you will be fine.

-If you need editing, I had the least problems with kdenlive. The interface is also rather straightforward. You will have to do the encoding in kdenlive as well ("render" as dvd). Drawbacks of kdenlive: It needs a lot of dependancies and, depending on the version of kdenlive and the format of your video files, the encoding might be screwed due to some bugs. I like avidemux too but I encounter more problems than with kdenlive on big projects (mostly audio out of sync issues).

To generate relatively easily nice menus, the best thing I have found so far is 2ManDVD. Install it from the multimedia repository http://deb-multimedia.org/
Again, it has some bugs.  At least with 2ManDVD you can make video-preview buttons by a simple drag-and-drop. If you have already encoded your files, making the menu should be simple.

I hope it helps and I hope someone has better suggestions! I have been thinking of installing windows on a separate partition because of the lack of good authoring software in linux, I haven't done it yet because of psychological block I have to install windows again after all these years away from it...

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#6 2012-11-11 10:58:33

pvsage
Internal Affairs

kiiroitori wrote:

- If you do not need editing of your files and just converting them to a DVD compliant format, use ffmpeg. It is fast and since it is a command line application, you will know what is happening instead of having a  2-hour-long static "generating menu" dialog box. For example:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -aspect 16:9 -acodec ac3 -target ntsc-dvd -r 29.97 -threads 4 output.vob

to have your video converted to a 16:9, ac3 sound, NTSC DVD compliant vob file using 4 threads. Adjust the command to your requirements!

Note to self - `man avconv`.  (Apparently, avconv and ffmpeg are essentially the same command with some bikeshedding between the two camps. roll )  Seriously though, I really need to learn more about this command. monkey

- If you need to join some files of the same format, just use the cat command. For example

cat * > joined.mov

This will join all videos in your folder into one joined.mov file. Again, adjust the command to your requirements. Note that the generated file will not play entirely in your media player but after conversion with ffmpeg the index will be re-built and you will be fine.

This is an intriguing option.  Will the resultant DVD have individual chapters for each of the original files, or will it play as a single long chapter?  (I can easily think of times when I would want one or the other.)

To generate relatively easily nice menus, the best thing I have found so far is 2ManDVD. Install it from the multimedia repository http://deb-multimedia.org/
Again, it has some bugs.  At least with 2ManDVD you can make video-preview buttons by a simple drag-and-drop. If you have already encoded your files, making the menu should be simple.

Looking at the project page for 2ManDVD right now... Je ne sais pas lire le français, but it looks a lot more friendly than its APT description suggests. big_smile

#7 2012-11-11 11:25:00

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

ThePrisoner wrote:

Hi all,
I've got a collection of video cam footage I shot and saved on my SGIs as MOV format files.  I want to convert these files to a different format (XVID or MPEG-4?) and and burn them to DVD with chapters, menus, backgrounds, etc.  I've never done DVD authoring before, so has anyone got experience and suggestions on how to do this and what good software's available to use for #!.  Thanks,
TP

1. You start with analizing your input media (resolution?, framerate?, interlaced = true/false?) and deciding on what your output will be. For example(s):

a.
my input is 1920x1080, 25fps progressive video
my output could be DVD video, but dvd is limted to 720x576px, so how about doing a nice AVC + AAC in mp4 container that will play on my wdtv (or some other nmt).

(mediainfo is a nice app for basic analisis)

b.
my input is 720x576,25pfs interlaced material
my output could easily be a "pal dvd", since it can keep interlaced structure.

c.
my input has 5.1 multichannel audio ...

2. In case of video dvd with menus - You would script (piece of paper works best for me) the entire structure, look and everything needed < This will enable you to avoid usual software default looks.

I could write forever on this subject.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2012-11-11 11:25:33)

#8 2012-11-11 13:02:36

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

pvsage wrote:
kiiroitori wrote:
cat * > joined.mov

This is an intriguing option.  Will the resultant DVD have individual chapters for each of the original files, or will it play as a single long chapter?  (I can easily think of times when I would want one or the other.)

pvsage, I think that 15mins to 20 mins are a good length to a DVD chapter. So what I recommend doing is joining your file into a 20 min long one (providing you don't need editing!), encode it with ffmpeg and then you have your chapter (1 vob file). When you make your DVD menu with 2ManDVD, you can assign buttons to play only one vob file or play a serie a vob files consecutively.
Sorry it is getting late here so my explanations might not be easy to understand... neutral

Last edited by kiiroitori (2012-11-11 13:05:20)

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#9 2012-11-11 13:19:54

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Thanks dude; have a good night.

kiiroitori wrote:

play only one vob file or play a serie a vob files consecutively.

I think this may may help me find the right questions. wink  Once I have those, the answers will come easy.

#10 2012-11-11 16:10:06

ThePrisoner

Wow, thank you all for all the insight into DVD authoring.  Everyone on this site is very helpful.

brontosaurusrex wrote:

1. You start with analizing your input media (resolution?, framerate?, interlaced = true/false?) and deciding on what your output will be. For example(s):

a.
my input is 1920x1080, 25fps progressive video
my output could be DVD video, but dvd is limted to 720x576px, so how about doing a nice AVC + AAC in mp4 container that will play on my wdtv (or some other nmt).

(mediainfo is a nice app for basic analisis)

b.

c.
my input has 5.1 multichannel audio ...

Very Good beginning advice, most if my stuff is in NTSC but I've also got some PAL material since I can record and play video in different formats.

kiiroitori wrote:

Most of the softwares I've tried have annoying bugs or will allow you to make at best static menus (i.e. background pic + audio + text link to your videos). I agree with greywolf about Devede, it is not bad compared to many other softwares, but is still extremely poor to non-free alternatives on Windows.

So here are my  humble recommendations:

cat * > joined.mov

-If you need editing, I had the least problems with kdenlive. The interface is also rather straightforward. You will have to do the encoding in kdenlive as well ("render" as dvd). Drawbacks of kdenlive: It needs a lot of dependancies and, depending on the version of kdenlive and the format of your video files, the encoding might be screwed due to some bugs. I like avidemux too but I encounter more problems than with kdenlive on big projects (mostly audio out of sync issues).

Good bundle of info you have here, thanks.  I'm going to try my hand with some command-line utilities for file conversion.  The MOV files the SGI generates are very good in quality, but over a gigabyte in size per 5 minutes of tape reel.  Hopefully I can convert these to a smaller footprint suitable for DVD authoring.  Then I'm going to try my hand at various DVD Authoring GUI tools, probably 2ManDVD, Devede and DVDStyler at first.

'Be seeing you!'

#11 2012-11-11 16:50:13

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

encoding part;

the easy way is to use one of suggested ffmpeg command lines (video on videodvd is always mpeg2, audio can be ac3, dts, pcm, mp2 < i suggest you use pcm if its stereo track only)
(You want to use latest version of ffmpeg, preferably latest git compile)
2pass encoding example:

ffmpeg -i input.mov audio.wav 
ffmpeg -i input.mov -target pal-dvd -aspect 16:9 -pass 1 -an -passlogfile some.log -f null out.null
ffmpeg -i input.mov -target pal-dvd -aspect 16:9 -pass 2 -an -passlogfile some.log output.mpg

what you get is pcm audio in one file and video in 2nd, to be later muxed in autoring app.

the hard way is to use windows app caled hcenc (Has to be run via wine and for feeding you need avisynth script) < all free
(This was my prefered mpeg2 encoder while i was still making dvds, more info when you are ready tongue)

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2012-11-11 17:08:42)

#12 2012-11-19 16:25:00

ThePrisoner

brontosaurusrex wrote:

encoding part;

the easy way is to use one of suggested ffmpeg command lines (video on videodvd is always mpeg2, audio can be ac3, dts, pcm, mp2 < i suggest you use pcm if its stereo track only)
(You want to use latest version of ffmpeg, preferably latest git compile)
2pass encoding example:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -target pal-dvd -aspect 16:9 -pass 1 -an -passlogfile some.log -f null out.null
ffmpeg -i input.mov -target pal-dvd -aspect 16:9 -pass 2 -an -passlogfile some.log output.mpg

what you get is pcm audio in one file and video in 2nd, to be later muxed in autoring app.

the hard way is to use windows app caled hcenc (Has to be run via wine and for feeding you need avisynth script) < all free
(This was my prefered mpeg2 encoder while i was still making dvds, more info when you are ready tongue)

Thanks,
after much fiddling around, I got this to work:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -target ntsc-dvd -aspect 4:3 -pass 1 -an -passlogfile some.log -f mp4 -y /dev/null
ffmpeg -i input.mov -target ntsc-dvd -aspect 4:3 -pass 2 -an -passlogfile some.log -f mp4 output.mp4

The end result was that where I originally had a 1.1 Gigabyte MOV file, I now have a 52 Megabyte wav audio file and a 171 Megabyte mp4 video only file.  Excellent quality, at least no noticeable degradation in quality.  Now if someone could share some muxing and authoring tips/howtos, I would be most grateful smile !

'Be seeing you!'

#13 2012-11-19 17:50:15

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Just for the record here, I'd like to give an upvote to devede. I've been using it for quite some time now and have never really had any issues, except when trying to cram over 10 hours worth of content onto a DVD. It's also fairly dependency-lite.

#14 2012-11-30 13:03:35

fortyseven
#! Die Hard

brontosaurusrex wrote:

A question about interlacing/deinterlacing, if you don't mind.

Any recommendations on software to use to rip interlaced video? I have some old movies on dvd that I want to rip. Problem is they're interlaced. I usually use Ogmrip to rip movies and although it does have a deinterlace function, sometimes it can take 5 days to rip and then usually fails at 80% or if it makes it to 100%, the output is very jerky.

I've tried using Avidemux to deinterlace but it doesnt work at all. I also don't like the fact that Avidemux only supports mkv and mp4.

Any thoughts?

on the outside looking in

#15 2012-11-30 13:14:48

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

fortyseven: movies (film material) are not interlaced, what you need is probably IVTC (inverse telecine) < my wild assumption would be that this are "NTSC" dvds.

Board footer