SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-30 05:20:20

sonofplutocracy

New to Linux

I was inspired to run Linux on my PC because of an article I read about becoming a geek lol. Well what should a beginner know about Linux where can I go to look for information and how do a person make Linux (CrunchBang) their own thing? Just got tired of Windows and Mac is for the cool people

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-30 05:44:42

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: New to Linux

sonofplutocracy wrote:

Just got tired of Windows and Mac is for the cool people

Um, I'm not so sure about the Mac thing. Anyway, you can download CrunchBang and make a live USB stick and give it a try. As for learning about Linux, the best way is to a.) use it and b.) ask questions on the forums (make sure you search the forums first -- your question may have already been answered).

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#3 2012-11-30 12:32:48

ew
#! Die Hard

sonofplutocracy wrote:

I was inspired to run Linux on my PC because of an article I read about becoming a geek lol. Well what should a beginner know about Linux where can I go to look for information and how do a person make Linux (CrunchBang) their own thing? Just got tired of Windows and Mac is for the cool people

Then you have found the right place to start with Linux. Not because it`s the easiest distro, but because the community is very friendly and helpful. Just ask and you will get help. If you want to make Crunchbang "your thing", you should probably start with customizing Openbox, Tint2 and Conky. You will find a lot of "howto`s"  and threads about this in "Tips, Tricks & Scripts", and if you don`t find the answers you`re looking for....., just ask.

A couple of useful external links:
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Getting_started
http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure
http://linux.die.net/man/1/conky

- apt-mark hold account

#4 2012-11-30 12:46:40

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard sonofplutocracy.

You might like to take a look here :-
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23168

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2012-11-30 12:53:32

MrPink
#! CrunchBanger

I will recommend www.distrowatch.com
Take a look at the different distros, download a few, and try them on a live usb stick. You can make live usb sticks from the .iso files using Unetbootin.

Once you have tried some different distros, you quickly find your preferences with regard to window managers, package management and other stuff.

#6 2012-11-30 12:58:10

dura
Bloated Gimp

Mac is for the cool people

You are mistaken.

#7 2012-12-02 18:33:21

intoCB
Scatweasel

Just dive in. Don't expect it to be "easy-peasy" though and there is a learning curve. It takes time to learn how to configure your system to make it as nice as someone in a factory made Windows or OS X for you. Try configuring a PC without Windows to Windows, though, and you'll see that that's a major ball-ache too.

Just get stuck in with an open mind and remember that while Linux may well be a sorry runner-up on the desktop, it is a major OS for servers. In other words, the skills you learn in Linux world can be professionally useful to you too. It's not just a hobby.

Oh and if someone guides you towards Arch Linux, just report them to the police. Arch grooming is a serious offence.

As for Macs, I'm currently booting 6 operating systems on my laptop, half of which would make a Mac user jealous.

Another version of Windows is released. Could this be the year of the Windows desktop? No.

#8 2012-12-02 18:45:00

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

SimonHoare wrote:

Oh and if someone guides you towards Arch Linux, just report them to the police. Arch grooming is a serious offence.

What is it with everyone being against promoting Arch?  tongue

At some point I honestly would give it a go, it helped me hugely in understanding what goes on "under the hood". Of course, doing a minimal install of Debian would work too, but I feel editing configuration files and reading why you got to enable and tweak certain options, is better than having someone automatically do it for you with you not knowing what or why.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#9 2012-12-02 18:53:32

intoCB
Scatweasel

Actually I put Arch together this morning, after spending an hour preparing the notes, so it's more of a personal joke.

No, I agree with you. Anyone who considers himself or herself a Linux user should do Arch at some point. It teaches you loads. It's just not step one  smile

Another version of Windows is released. Could this be the year of the Windows desktop? No.

#10 2012-12-02 19:09:26

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

MrPink wrote:

You can make live usb sticks from the .iso files using Unetbootin.

Once you have tried some different distros, you quickly find your preferences  <snip>

Once you've got a Linux distro up and running, there is an alternative -- arguably a better way -- to make live USB drives that is on a post the folks here at CrunchBang put together:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23267

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#11 2012-12-02 19:09:44

junkie
#! Junkie

#!Crunchbang is a great start! The community here is the nicest of any Linux forum I've ever seen and a strong emphasis around theming, conky, etc... Makes configuring scripts really fun and personalized for learning. Later, or now, If you ever want to get more into the engine you'll feel right at home.

#12 2012-12-04 22:15:19

linuxnewbie

So I tried this on live cd and I like it but, graphics in browser is horrible so foggy, is it because I don't have drivers installed or is this just the way it is and btw where do you get all drivers for your PC? neutral

Last edited by linuxnewbie (2012-12-04 22:16:11)

#13 2012-12-05 03:57:07

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

@linuxnewbie: Maybe it's just the fonts that are foggy?
Try the steps in http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18249&p=1

Drivers, if needed, can be downloaded through the repositories (Package Manager) but are mostly not needed because they are built in the kernel. If you need something 'special' like for example wireless, or an improved graphics driver or something for the printer, you might need to get these drivers from external sources (because some of them are non-free). Any wishes?

Last edited by machinebacon (2012-12-05 03:59:59)

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#14 2012-12-05 22:43:29

intoCB
Scatweasel

I personally don't enjoy Linux at all on my laptop without the proprietary graphics drivers - sorry Richard - but they can be a little tricky to install correctly or at least that's my experience with ATI's Catalyst (a.k.a. "fglrx").

Try installing the fglrx package from synaptic. It's bound to go wrong but when it does, just start a thread in the support section and we'll sort you out.

#15 2013-04-02 23:48:48

cinneidesean

i found it difficult to get started with GNU/Linux but it was worth the effort , inspiring even .

#16 2013-04-03 03:22:46

mishle
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome cinneidesean to the forum.

#17 2013-04-03 16:57:18

seppalta
#! Member
Website

Well what should a beginner know about Linux where can I go to look for information and how do a person make Linux (CrunchBang) their own thing?

Here is some help:  LXDE Guide - Beginners Intro   and
LXDE Guide .

#18 2013-04-03 18:23:44

Iranon
#! Junkie

Almost everything is configurable and/or replaceable.

Don't like something about the GUI? There are literally dozens to hundred options. Sophisticated, tweak-friendly or minimalist... as modular or well-integrated as you want. Choose your poison.
Unhappy with something like responsiveness, boot time, sound latency, power consumption, font rendering? Defaults are usually conservative to avoid major bugs on a wide variety of hardware, you can definitely improve on the things you car about. There is no one true way to do things, which can take some time getting used to (see my signature).

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

Board footer