SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-03 22:59:57

rzrscm
#! Member

Gimp crashes (seg fault) when trying to use text tool...Bug?

When I start to type some text using the text tool, Gimp crashes with a segmentation fault.  Sometimes I'll be able to type the text, but it'll crash when I try to resize it.  Either way, it crashes every time I try to use the text tool.  Is this a bug in the current build?  Has anybody else experienced this?  Here's the output I get in my terminal when it crashes...

(gimp:3095): Gdk-WARNING **: /build/buildd-gtk+2.0_2.24.10-2-i386-Tg7Q_2/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gdk/x11/gdkdrawable-x11.c:874 drawable is not a pixmap or window

(script-fu:3097): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error
zsh: segmentation fault  gimp

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-12-05 08:17:54

fratermus
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Re: Gimp crashes (seg fault) when trying to use text tool...Bug?

What version of GIMP are you running at the moment?  I assume the crunch machine has received the "update and dist-upgrade" treatment.

Might try invoking it as gimp --verbose and seeing what happens in the output just before the crash.  Some have reported GIMP was trying to load a non-essential plugin leading to crashes;  moving the plugin out of the plugin dir might help.

I googled and found lots of reports of this kind of thing happening (especially a couple of years ago) but I did not read closely enough to see what the problem and resolution was.  I'm trying to get through my inbox tonight...

brother mouse
new to crunchbang.
my first linux kernel build was on a 386-16sx with 6MB SIPP RAM ($50/MB!)

#3 2012-12-06 00:52:02

rzrscm
#! Member

Re: Gimp crashes (seg fault) when trying to use text tool...Bug?

fratermus wrote:

What version of GIMP are you running at the moment?  I assume the crunch machine has received the "update and dist-upgrade" treatment.

Might try invoking it as gimp --verbose and seeing what happens in the output just before the crash.  Some have reported GIMP was trying to load a non-essential plugin leading to crashes;  moving the plugin out of the plugin dir might help.

I googled and found lots of reports of this kind of thing happening (especially a couple of years ago) but I did not read closely enough to see what the problem and resolution was.  I'm trying to get through my inbox tonight...

I have version 2.8.2.  I tried the --verbose option, but now the crash isn't happening no matter how much I try to get it to crash.  I removed the tumbler package earlier because it was causing all kinds of CPU overload problems, but that's the only thing different with my system between yesterday and today aside from the reboot.

Board footer