SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-12 08:36:09

tux-linux

Blender - outdated!

This message is for the developers.

Why is it that when installing blender from the terminal it pulls down the repos for Blender 2.49!!!!!!!!!!  As I am not a developer for operating systems, is it that hard to get the latest release of an application built into the OS repo list?  If it is, sorry I asked.  If it's not, then please from now on, include the latest application upgrades.  Especially GIMP.

Thanks.

Last edited by tux-linux (2012-12-12 08:37:05)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-12-12 12:10:22

pidsley
Window Mangler

Re: Blender - outdated!

#! is based on Debian. It gets its software from the Debian repositories. There is one #! "developer" -- Corenominal. He does not control what is in the Debian repositories.

There are three main Debian repositories: Stable (curently Squeeze), Testing (currently Wheezy) and sid/unstable (always sid). If you are using Statler, you are using the stable repos. Blender 2.49 is in the stable repo -- this repo is for very well tested stable software. Blender 2.63 is in the Wheezy repo. If you want this version, upgrade to Waldorf, or move your Statler repos to Wheezy (this is not hard to do, there are several posts on the forum about this).

You can check to see which versions of a program are in each repo using the packages.debian.org web site.

The problem is that you are using a stable(Squeeze) system and expecting it to have the latest software. This is not going to happen. You can read more about the Debian branches starting here: http://www.debian.org/releases/

Last edited by pidsley (2012-12-12 15:29:25)

#3 2012-12-12 15:07:25

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Jerk-ass answer:  Welcome to Debian Sta(b)le, tux-linux.

(Possibly) helpful answers:  What pidsley said - people who like CrunchBang but want newer versions of the Debian packages tend to be happier with the Testing pre-release; at this time, that is Waldorf.  If Blender is the only package for which you want/need a later version (and if 2.63 is current enough for you) and you want to stay with CrunchBang Stable for now, the easiest way to do this with minimal borkage requires a few steps:
1.  Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list so the Debian stanzas point to wheezy instead of squeeze; if you have the backported version of Statler, comment out the Backports stanzas.
2.  `sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install blender`; if there are any signs of dependency hell, cancel and confer with us here, but if all goes well...
3.  Restore your /etc/apt/sources.list to its previous condition; `sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade`; watch for signs of package regressions.  If APT tries to downgrade blender, you can force version 2.63, but it's been a long time since I've had to force a version and I don't remember the details; we'll jump off that bridge if we come to it.

#4 2012-12-12 20:06:08

UncleDoug

Wow.  You guys *are* nice.

Also, what a nice, clear, walk-through!  I felt a little enlightened after reading it, even after using the tools for years.  It may have rejuvenated some aging cells. . .

#5 2012-12-12 20:58:12

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

in blender case you would probably want to get "blender-2.65-linux-glibc211-x86_64.tar.bz2" (or similar name), extract to some place in user space and execute blender binary.

http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

p.s. There used to be an irc channel #blender on freenode, where they may kick you in the even more appropriate direction.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2012-12-12 21:02:04)

#6 2012-12-14 03:39:02

tux-linux

Very helpful Pidsley.  New to Debian distros.  I'm used to Ubuntu that always have their repos up to date.  I ran away from Ubuntu for several reasons, all of which greatly outweigh any reason to leave #!

These older versions will have to do......for now.

I apologize to the Devs for this ill thought post.  I should have talked to a Debian Dev.

Board footer