SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-29 00:27:30

busprof
#! Member

Dedoimedo Review of #! Waldorf

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/crun … ldorf.html

From his review, it looks as though he is expecting some feedback from forum members.  wink 
I'll say this...it was worth the six minutes I spent reading.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-12-29 00:50:32

joek
#! Junkie

Re: Dedoimedo Review of #! Waldorf

Hmm, some of the things he complains about...
For example, in both the Statler and Waldorf reviews, he complains that the OB colourscheme called SimpleGreen is blue. Well, yes, but this is not #!'s fault, and is not necessarily even a bug. Many OB themes are obscurely and 'unhelpfully' named. And people who complain about default wallpapers annoy me. Pretty is subjective, but still seen as a feature...

#3 2012-12-29 00:51:19

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

I'm not so sure. Overall, it's fine, however testing a beta like Waldorf is akin to sticking your finger in a bowl of cake batter, tasting it and then writing about how great (or bad) the cake will be. But he says a lot of nice things, though.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#4 2012-12-29 01:10:43

dhave

Sorta quirky review -- not especially negative, but more like he mainly wants to provoke a response from CrunchBang fans. I'm not taking the bait.

#5 2012-12-29 03:26:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I haven't visited Dedoimedo lately, but he's always been an interesting read in the past. It seems a reasonably balanced review, though you can spot things here and there that he wouldn't have said if he'd spent a bit longer checking things out, eg " IceWeasel, which behaves almost like Firefox, only it's kind of lighter" ?? He's a busy man I guess.

I don't see how Waldorf is the kind of huge improvement on Statler he claims - more a kind of steady progress I'd say - maybe he's trying to justify the ridiculous hammering he gave Statler in the past...

He has a sharp eye for graphic details and had a point about the systray icons, for example. Worth a read.

Last edited by johnraff (2012-12-30 15:10:59)

John     Please help us keep your forums manageable.   Don't Break Debian
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#6 2012-12-29 03:51:06

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

A Fair Review.
To get an 8/10 score is V. Good in my book.
  Realistically, there is not much Igor can fault. #! delivers as advertised but is not everyone's Cup of Tea.

I like it and that is all that scores with me.

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#7 2012-12-29 04:55:06

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Dedoimedo wrote:

But normal people will hate the manual configurations, the empty desktop, and somewhat difficult way of finding your way around

We're not normal... We have always known that.

Good review IMO

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#8 2012-12-29 14:23:18

1002richards
#! CrunchBanger

His review encouraged me to have another try with Waldorf ... now installed and enjoying it!! Had used #! Ubuntu before, liked that too!

#9 2012-12-29 17:47:54

intoCB
Scatweasel

Dedoimedo wrote:

This can help you easily beef up your system, although essentially, for most people, doing an equivalent set of commands would do the same thing. However, given the nerdy mission statement of Crunchbang, the extra help is rather nice.

This is unfair. I don't know half the commands for what the post-installation script can set-up.

Nerdy mission statement? Really? I just thought CB was a really light distro that didn't come with a load of bollocks so it was good for customising and was easy to set-up.

He seems to like Mint so perhaps if we had a few toybox jingles he'd like us more.

Another version of Windows is released. Could this be the year of the Windows desktop? No.

#10 2012-12-29 18:01:28

intoCB
Scatweasel

It was an ok review on balance and many of points are fair. We're up there with Manjaro i.e. above the beginner level but really nothing complicated. However, I'm not sure our community is so geeky. Really, I've lost interest in some distros purely because I can smell the basements, lolcats and hours spent on World of Warcraft. And girly desktop screenshots are few and far between on this forum. If we're geeky, I wonder where the cool distros are?

Don't agree about the post-installation script. The script is to-the-point and no-nonsense. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I don't find minimalism empty; I find it dignified and discreet.

Another version of Windows is released. Could this be the year of the Windows desktop? No.

#11 2012-12-29 20:09:11

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

I found the issue he had with the tray icons particularly silly. They may be a bit on the thick side for someone suffering with OCD but are easily changed. Everybody knows that you have to log out and back in again for changes to icons in the panel to take effect, that's how it's been with LXDE, XFCE and the Tint2 panel in every distro I have used so far. Nothing to do with CB at all, same as the Openbox themes.

It's quite evident that CB isn't Mint and isn't trying to be. The starter script is a concession to user friendliness though, unneeded and unused by myself but sure welcome help for the odd newbie. AB added something similar a while back. Good idea, while keeping in the spirit and not distracting with unnecessary gui-wizards.

Samba. Who needs it anyway, or rather who doesn't know how to set it up if they need it. The last time I saw a good graphical interface for configuring Samba was in KDE3.

Didn't know he had reviewed 10 as well, I had only read the one on 9.04 previously which was really quite positive. 8/10 is probably a fair rating, but some points are just not valid. Actually, if a lot of these points are not valid, makes you wonder if it shouldn't be higher.

Last edited by Barnabyh (2012-12-29 20:28:09)

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#12 2013-01-02 00:51:35

rebornmechanics
#! CrunchBanger

Didn't know what to make of it at first, but it just seemed trollish after a while.

My favorite part in the review is:

Dedoimedo Review wrote:

After a few minutes, you can manage something like this:
- changed wallpaper and removed clipit -

I'm not quite sure why this amuses me.

#13 2013-01-02 16:08:07

intoCB
Scatweasel

We need a CrunchBang CentOS spin just to confuse him. We could call it PEDRO : popular enterprise distribution rip-off. Trouble is I can't get CentOS to do anything more complicated than hold down paper on my desk. Thank God it's stable or I would have lost all my paper by now.

#14 2013-01-07 14:47:23

Morley
#! CrunchBanger

#! just seems better and better to me ...

Anyways, given that you can tweak virtually any distro to look virtually however you want, given a bit of work, I find it weird that he would hold default icons for the sys tray against Waldorf.  Oh well.

I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation!

Board footer