SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-04 23:06:07

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

how to latest libreoffice and other apps?

Hi guys, OK. sorry if this has been asnwered before, but I cant find the exact instructions for a noob. I am using latest waldorf (oct 15) fully updated today. I get my libre office as 3.54 when latest is 3.6.4.
I gather I have to edit my sources.list ? enable backports or something?

Could some one give me the howto please?
Is it risky? (that means do I risk killing my crunchbang?  ;-) )

I Like being "on the edge" but not commiting suicide :-D

THANKS for being here.

Edit: I AM an obsesive backuper  devil

Last edited by ElQuia (2013-01-04 23:07:04)

*La vida no es esperar a que pase la tormenta, es aprender a bailar bajo la lluvia...
(Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, it's learning to dance under the rain...)

*Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-04 23:38:17

rkwurth
#! Junkie

Re: how to latest libreoffice and other apps?

#3 2013-01-05 00:40:13

bp

Updated version for LibreOffice 4

1. Go to http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?nodetect
2. Choose Linux (deb) x86 for 32-bit or x86_64 for 64-bit
3. Choose your language and latest stable version
4. Download all files (Main installer, Translated user interface, LibreOffice built-in help)

5. Create temporary folder, move and extract them:

mkdir libreoffice_debs && \
mv LibreOffice*.tar.gz libreoffice_debs  && \
cd libreoffice_debs && \
for file in `dir LibreOffice*.tar.gz`; do tar axf $file; done

6. Log in to your sudo and install debs:

sudo su
dpkg  -i -R *_deb/DEBS/*.deb
dpkg  -i -R *_deb/DEBS/desktop-integration/*.deb
dpkg -i -R *_deb_langpack*/DEBS/*.deb
dpkg -i -R *_deb_langpack*/DEBS/*.deb

Last edited by bp (2013-04-27 09:15:39)

#4 2013-01-05 02:33:55

hinto
#! Windbag

Usually, what is in the repo is fine, unless you really need a new feature only found in a newer version.
-H

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#5 2013-01-05 11:08:29

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks guys. The thing is I have a some clients that are in a mixed environements.  Windows Mainly with latest libre office, newer machines on 7 older with XP migrating to Linux Mint 14 that has latest libre office, still older hard migrating from XP or ( ops ) vista to CRUNCHBANG, this older hard being some pentiums 4 w 256 or 512 mb of ram and a buch of old notebooks in the same conditions. Users in 2 or 3 cases (different clients) dont have a prefixed PC, they use any available one. And it irks having different versions of productivity apps. It bugs them and it bugs me.
Linux is a learning experience for them AND for me  cool

bp:

Your method will give me latest libreoffice, OK, but what of updates and repositories? that means how do I keep latest latest and not only for libre office but also for other software.... lets say inkscape, etc? should I mod (and how) my sources?

THANKSSSSS smile

*La vida no es esperar a que pase la tormenta, es aprender a bailar bajo la lluvia...
(Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, it's learning to dance under the rain...)

#6 2013-01-05 12:39:29

bp

And that's where the shoe pinches. Not for all software you can get repository so it means that you've to wait for official debian's update or update manual. Fortunately for LibreOffice you get .deb so you don't have to compile them. Sometimes you can use Ubuntu's repository from Launchpad but this is a little bit risky.

Last edited by bp (2013-01-05 12:43:09)

#7 2013-01-05 12:50:16

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

bp wrote:

And that's where the shoe pinches. Not for all software you can get repository so it means that you've to wait for official debian's update or update manual. Fortunately for LibreOffice you get .deb so you don't have to compile them. Sometimes you can use Ubuntu's repository from Launchpad but this is a little bit risky.

uhhhh, well OK, thanks

#8 2013-01-05 21:43:19

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

The version of LibreOffice in sid is 3.5.4. Experimental has 3.6.4, so you could pin to that for LibreOffice, or you can try downloading and installing the .deb from libreoffice.org, or if you have users on Mint and they are getting 3.6.4, just use Mint everywhere. These are your choices.

Should you mod (and how) your sources? If you insist on Debian, then upgrade to sid, and don't pin. But this will not get you LibreOffice 3.6.4.

#9 2013-01-06 17:45:36

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks but I am not changing Crunchbang for LO 3.6.4. cbang stays. Was just looking for an easy way tio install 3.6.4 an keep it updated in sync with other oeses.  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

#10 2013-01-06 18:07:13

snowpine
#!-a-roo

ElQuia wrote:

Thanks guys. The thing is I have a some clients that are in a mixed environements.  Windows Mainly with latest libre office, newer machines on 7 older with XP migrating to Linux Mint 14 that has latest libre office, still older hard migrating from XP or ( ops ) vista to CRUNCHBANG, this older hard being some pentiums 4 w 256 or 512 mb of ram and a buch of old notebooks in the same conditions. Users in 2 or 3 cases (different clients) dont have a prefixed PC, they use any available one. And it irks having different versions of productivity apps. It bugs them and it bugs me.

Why would you use #! TESTING for these clients? It makes no sense. Put them on STABLE Linux Mint with lightweight DE (Xfce, LXDE, Openbox) and Libreoffice PPA. Then they have exact version cross-compatibility with their other Linux Mint boxes (and Windows too, I suppose... not my department), the elegant solution....

Also it is OK to tell clients to upgrade their hardware---if they insist on always the latest software, surely they can spend a few $$ on RAM upgrade, this is 2013 and the headaches of working with 256mb RAM limitation will cost the business time, money, productivity. If it irks you & the clients now, it will not magically become any less irksome in 1 month, 6 months, 1 year...

/hugged

#11 2013-01-06 19:23:18

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

snowpine wrote:

Also it is OK to tell clients to upgrade their hardware---if they insist on always the latest software, surely they can spend a few $$ on RAM upgrade, this is 2013 and the headaches of working with 256mb RAM limitation will cost the business time, money, productivity. If it irks you & the clients now, it will not magically become any less irksome in 1 month, 6 months, 1 year...

No can do. This Argentina, you can't find old model ram modules for those machines. We have a lot of importing restrictions (absurd) and even before those, importers will only bring "hot merchandise", ddr3, etc. So we HAVE to adapt software to hardware.

The Mint versions I am using are the Ubuntu based 14 versions. Mainly MATE, it's the most "windows like", got a bunch of users foe who it HAS to be easy because of productivity lose. The beauty of Crunchbang is its simplicity ("... guys just right click and go to the menu item...") for the users and for me the ease of setting it up, hardware compatibility and mantaining it. The mixed libreoffice and other soft versions will NOT make me change this scheme that is working quite well since mid 2012. Let's say I am just looking for the "icing on the cake" wink

#12 2013-02-02 10:26:46

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

ElQuia wrote:

No can do. This Argentina, you can't find old model ram modules for those machines. We have a lot of importing restrictions (absurd) and even before those, importers will only bring "hot merchandise", ddr3, etc. So we HAVE to adapt software to hardware.

Thanks for your perspective, ElQuia.  People who live in wealthy countries sometimes forget, don't even think about, or don't even know, that there are many people in the world who can't afford the latest and greatest tech devices, as well as none at all.

I was reading an article in a Mac magazine earlier this week and the guy talked about having this device for that, and that device for this, etc.  I thought to myself, "dude...you live in your own little bubble.  How many people can afford to do what you're doing?"

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

#13 2013-02-02 13:27:43

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

KrunchTime wrote:

Thanks for your perspective, ElQuia.  People who live in wealthy countries sometimes forget, don't even think about, or don't even know, that there are many people in the world who can't afford the latest and greatest tech devices, as well as none at all.

I was reading an article in a Mac magazine earlier this week and the guy talked about having this device for that, and that device for this, etc.  I thought to myself, "dude...you live in your own little bubble.  How many people can afford to do what you're doing?"

Thanks for your comment. Let's see:  My IT work is mostly (50%) for wealthy people (individuals) and 30% for small business. The first segment CAN afford the latest devices and pay top dollar for them, if they can´t get it here they travel, Miami, Europe, etc. The second segment uses devices not as toys but for WORK, got to get all the bang for the buck they can, and that means making devices work till well past their nominal end of life.

The missing 20%, well that is work for charity institutions, low class schools, etc. This segment uses the left over or discarded PC's from the other segments, mostly it is the ONLY way to get poor kids to get some knowledge of computing.

So, at least me, have a 50% of my clients that CAN get the latest, even if it means paying 40 to 50 % MORE dollars (US $) than what you pay in USA for the same device. The other 50 % Needs make do with old devices.

Thanks for understanding. AND: it is a nice target for #! ...

#14 2013-02-05 12:42:35

intoCB
Scatweasel

Tip: the LibreOffice website instructions for installing LibreOffice work really well if you simply don't have an existing copy of it on CrunchBang.

Another version of Windows is released. Could this be the year of the Windows desktop? No.

#15 2013-02-05 13:50:04

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

intoCB wrote:

Tip: the LibreOffice website instructions for installing LibreOffice work really well if you simply don't have an existing copy of it on CrunchBang.

I do have copy on CrunchBang, it ussually is the first productivity app I install. Software piracy is so common sad around here that every windows user has a copy of ms office, so linux users need to have an office suite that can read/write ms formats.

It would be nice if Ceremonial or the team could include in CB a script or whatever (I know nothing of programming) that installs the latest open office, in my experience, both on windows and linux the latest (NON beta of course) version of Libre Office is stable and bug free for normal office work.  cool

Last edited by ElQuia (2013-02-05 13:55:05)

#16 2013-02-05 13:56:41

hinto
#! Windbag

^ The latest in the repo

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get libreoffice

#17 2013-02-05 14:17:51

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

hinto wrote:

^ The latest in the repo

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get libreoffice

Thanks hinto, I always keep my CBangs updated. The thing is that the latest in the repo is no the latest stable release by LibreOffice team. Latest debian is 3.5.* and latest released by LibreOffice team is 3.6.5.*

#18 2013-02-05 14:21:14

hinto
#! Windbag

it's relative.
I'm running:

LibreOffice 3.5.4.2 
Build ID: 350m1(Build:2)

I'm tracking sid.  If you want the latest debian software, track sid.
OW, you'll have to install from their site.
When you mix packages across stable, testing, sid you can end up with the mess known as Ubuntu.
-Hinto

#19 2013-02-05 16:28:26

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

hinto wrote:

you can end up with the mess known as Ubuntu

big_smile  yesss

I have on linuxes 3.5 also.... but latest stable release is 3.6.5 ...somenting (.1 or .2 cant remember now)

#20 2013-02-05 16:36:01

hinto
#! Windbag

^ I must be missing your point then.  If you don't want the [potential] mess, then why install something outside of the repository?
Is there some feature in LibreOffice 3.6.5 that is missing in 3.5.4.2  (or in #! stable).

When you go this route, then Debian (or any linux for that matter) can [potentially] get stuck with dependency problems.  You're probably OK to install it from the LibreOffice site, but it'd not guaranteed to be compatible with all the other debs on your box.  Using the repos guarantees (for the most part) that all the packages are installable. (sid is a bit of a different story).

Unless you have a pressing reason for installing anything "out of band", then the repos are more than adequate.
-Hinto

#21 2013-02-05 20:24:35

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

Hinto:
Quoting my self:

ElQuia wrote:

The thing is I have a some clients that are in a mixed environments.  Windows Mainly with latest libre office, newer machines on 7 older with XP migrating to Linux Mint 14 that has latest libre office, still older hard migrating from XP or ( ops ) vista to CRUNCHBANG, this older hard being some pentiums 4 w 256 or 512 mb of ram and a buch of old notebooks in the same conditions. Users in 2 or 3 cases (different clients) dont have a prefixed PC, they use any available one. And it irks having different versions of productivity apps. It bugs them and it bugs me.

It was just a question. Being as it is I have to level downwards, aka, keep all machines in this mixed environment with the highest version available on Debian that is LOWER than the latest stable available. That´s all, just a personal irk.
devil

Last edited by ElQuia (2013-02-05 20:25:11)

#22 2013-02-05 20:31:57

hinto
#! Windbag

^ I'm out.  If you want to use a mixed distro, it becomes extremely hard to maintain and support.  I'm glad I won't be supporting it. devil
-H

#23 2013-02-05 23:08:14

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

hinto wrote:

^ I'm out.  If you want to use a mixed distro, it becomes extremely hard to maintain and support.  I'm glad I won't be supporting it. devil
-H

I get paid for supporting it.  devil , Of course for me it's a steep learning curve, Linux I mean, I am originally a windowz  hmm  guy, and as IT what makes me valuable is my present capacity of supporting a mixed environment for small business. Gotta a lot of learning to do,  about nix mainly.
This mixed environment is the main reason I wanted a easy way to have always the latest LibreOffice on ALL Oses, Windows  7, XP, Linux Mint and CrunchBang (include Android in the mix, but TnxGod that does not involve office apps only communications)
Be cool

PS: It's not if I WANT to used mixed oses. The clients ($$) require it  devil  big_smile  devil

Last edited by ElQuia (2013-02-05 23:09:13)

#24 2013-02-06 00:32:43

hinto
#! Windbag

^you won't have the latest Thunderbird, Firefox, Chrome either.  Debian disables the autoupdate.
-H

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-02-06 01:36:09

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger

Yep, but most users use chrome as a fad, mozilla if they are a little bit more savvy (i recommend this an am starting to disable chrome) and GMail or (arggggghhhh) outlook.com as mail. Mail with own domain on thunderbird or evolution starts being used from more or less 15 or 20 users up.-
For some reason people focus on office productivity apps and phones.

Board footer