SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-28 16:12:04

alexanderj
Website

how i've met #! (a story by alexanderj)

hi guys, whatup !

Thought i'd introduce myself here before going on a posting frenzy wink

I'm Alexander a 22 year old male studying computer science in The Netherlands.
besides the awesome story below i  must add that i'm mostly interested in web-development, I'm checking out ruby on rails atm and have experience in java and c# as well.

how i've met #! (as seen on TV tongue )
My first experience with Linux was Ubuntu when i was still in high school, i thought it was pretty neat back then wink and started experimenting with it alot.. breaking installations and my laptop several times  in the process tongue

few years later and here i am, 2nd year computer science student still loving Linux, hating mac and all apple garbage with passion and frowning upon windows.

I've used several Linux distro's sofar including but not limited to: centOs , fedora , Ubuntu, backtrack and although they all are quite good.. i always had the feeling that it wasn't really customized for me.. i felt that it still (although less then windows) had bloatware that i didn't use.

Both Gnome and Kde would do just fine..but i wasn't very happy with how things were and thought to myself.. I'm sure there is something out there that would be better suited for my needs , it needed to be clean , professional ,minimalistic but good looking (and not in the fancy bloated Kde way) and shouldn't be loaded with tons of packages i wouldn't need.

but then on a friday that according to the mayas shouldnt exist, it was raining and faith was around the corner:
i was re-installing some Linux partitions and was searching on Google for a solution where i had a shared /home for multiple Linux installations i came on a topic on the crunchbang.org forum.. and i thought hmm crunchbang sounds kewl, what is it ? so i went to the main site clicked on the first picture i saw to enlarge it.. and my mind was BLOWN.

I'm going to install this baby on all my machines and its gonna be legen (wait for it) dary.

I really like this community (atleast what i've seen sofar) and i'd love to be part of it.

THE END

cya on the forum , Cheers !

Alexanderj

p.s. sorry for the abrupt ending didn't feel like writing anymore

Last edited by alexanderj (2012-12-28 16:16:43)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-12-28 16:24:04

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: how i've met #! (a story by alexanderj)

Welcome aboard, alexanderj, and enjoy using CrunchBang!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#3 2012-12-28 22:03:28

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community alexanderj, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#4 2012-12-29 10:17:40

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard alexanderj.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2012-12-30 23:53:14

alexanderj
Website

thx for the welcome guys, i had some troubles getting waldorf working  but got it working anyway wink
seems like my first download the iso was incomplete or  broken tongue epic fail from my part not checking the md5 but after downloading it for a 2nd time everything worked out;)

my experience sofar: uh oh.. its awesome, i like the cleanness , i like that i have to configure alot myself, i love the configuration wizard and especialy the developer part where it gives the option to install appache mysql and lamp !!!

found my distro thats for sure wink

Last edited by alexanderj (2012-12-30 23:54:24)

#6 2013-01-06 21:42:36

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Glad to have you with us smile

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#7 2013-01-09 21:43:28

MinnesotaFats

Well played, sir. Stories rule. I too was pleasantly surprised by the #! design, simplicity. Welcome!

Board footer