SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-06 22:46:08

codiddle

[SOLVED] Issue with Tint2 on Startup

I'm running Waldorf.
I'll start out by mentioning that I've upgraded my graphics driver to ATI using SMXI successfully.

Now, when I start the computer, not much is loaded because of the nature of the beast that drives this Operating System.

However, when it's all said and done, I'm missing a very critical part of the OS.
I hate to use Windows terminology, but there's a Taskbar at the top of the screen that's normally there that hasn't been showing up.

By taskbar, I mean the little GUI element at the top, where you can switch desktops, and interact with "System Tray" items like, volume, network, time/date.  EDIT: I found out later by helpful community it was Tint2 that wasn't responding.

I am able to get it to come back, by right-clicking and choosing Settings->Conky->Restart Conky.

Only then does it appear, and it doesn't always come back.  Sometimes it's just MIA/POW I guess.

Any information that may help is welcomed.  I could restore Conky's script to default and see if it works consistently that way. 
But the script I'm running is very simple.  I'm sure it's not much different than the one that came with the OS (that shows the hotkeys).
I love the operating system, it's the best Linux distro I have used.  I've gotten more production done on it than I ever did with lolbuntu.
I've also learned much more about Linux using it, than I ever would have using lolbuntu.  Thanks for the awesome distro release.  It's amazing me more each day.
Thanks.

Last edited by codiddle (2013-01-09 00:33:09)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-01-06 23:04:53

codiddle

Re: [SOLVED] Issue with Tint2 on Startup

Oh, I had another question.  I like how the desktop is sort of in a "restricted" sort of mode, it helps with elimination of distractions. But how do I activate the desktop, if I planned on using it, at a later date?  What I mean is, having shortcuts on the desktop?  I know I can add stuff to the Openbox menu, but I don't want things to get 'overly complicated' with the menu.

Last edited by codiddle (2013-01-06 23:05:26)

#3 2013-01-06 23:05:32

R5Chris

I think you're thinking of tint2 and not conky. :-)

If you open up a terminal and type tint2& does the taskbar show up for you? If not, does it give any errors when it tries to load?

#4 2013-01-07 11:38:01

codiddle

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, it's working ok now, but I haven't had to reboot my machine since I added a new theme.  Here's the results from running:

tint2 &

The output:

you@crunchbang:~$ tint2 &
[1] 16403
you@crunchbang:~$ real transparency on... depth: 32
xRandr: Found crtc's: 6
xRandr: Linking output DFP5 with crtc 0
tint2 : another systray is running
tint2 : nb monitor 1, nb monitor used 1, nb desktop 2

#5 2013-01-07 23:53:21

ew
#! Die Hard

codiddle wrote:

Oh, I had another question.  I like how the desktop is sort of in a "restricted" sort of mode, it helps with elimination of distractions. But how do I activate the desktop, if I planned on using it, at a later date?  What I mean is, having shortcuts on the desktop?  I know I can add stuff to the Openbox menu, but I don't want things to get 'overly complicated' with the menu.

Here is one way to do it: http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/add_desktop_icons

Idesk is another:  http://wiki.debian.org/Openbox#Desktop_icons

- apt-mark hold account

#6 2013-01-09 00:37:04

codiddle

I fixed the problem, accidentally looking for a thread on how to customize which items started automatically using Openbox.  By reading this -> CB-Wiki-How-To-Autostart-Programs <- I learned that Tint2 was like my old lady, and liked to sleep in.  So I modified it to sleep a little later than the rest of the apps.  I was also surprised to get a really useful cairo-dock and conky apps to startup as well, using a bin/sh script.  All just from reading 1 little excerpt, I saved myself hours of pain and suffering.

Thanks.

#7 2013-04-02 16:12:18

melmoth

Also there is option to add some icons by this method - using 2nd tint2 config file:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24350

Asus Eee 702 - 8 GB SSD, 1GB RAM
Running Waldorf r20130119

Board footer