SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-07 11:51:24

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Simple power panel applet

A search here and elsewhere did not find anything useful/relevant, so apologies if this has been asked before.

I completed a Wheezy netinstall on a netbook and then upgraded to sid and added OpenBox* and wicd. I start X manually when required. I run lxpanel (default/vanilla) just to give me a clock and a place for wicd-gtk to live.

I've just spent the last two hours at a public hotspot. I plugged in the power plug and flipped the wall switch, then got to work. Only after running "$ acpi" two hours later, did I notice that I turned the plug OFF previously and have been running on battery.

Is there a simple power indicator panel applet thing I can install to avoid this in future? I'm thinking of something simple that just shows if the battery is charging or discharging and the percentage/time? I haven't installed "xfce4-power-manager" because I'm using acpi/d and don't want all that bloat wink

*I've recently added standalone compiz to the mix, just because I miss it so much since moving away from GNOME2 Ubuntu in the early Unity years. Compiz really is awesome smile

Last edited by SabreWolfy (2013-01-07 12:10:27)

Support #!Waldorf • Debian sid • Xubuntu • siduction • Peppermint • OpenBox • Xfce • LXDE •

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-07 12:22:06

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Re: Simple power panel applet

Possible solution is to use tint2 (should have thought of that before). It shows the percentage and a time figure, bt it's not clear if it is charging or discharging -- you have to sort of work it out from the time figure shown.

Support #!Waldorf • Debian sid • Xubuntu • siduction • Peppermint • OpenBox • Xfce • LXDE •

#3 2013-01-07 12:55:20

PackRat
#! Die Hard

A simple conky can show all your battery information. Easy enough to set up key bindings to start/stop.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#4 2013-01-15 14:34:02

foozer

There's a very lightweight Perl script called "fdpowermon" that does this. It's in the standard Debian repositories.

It works with a GTK+ icon in the systray, the icon theme is customizable through a text file. However, it has a bug: It does not handle the state of being connected to AC with your battery removed, so upon removing your battery the icon will stay the same (conky also has this bug, but it's easily hackable.)
The developer didn't want to fix it and I don't know any Perl whatsoever so I just wrote my own in Java. But I accidentally lost it when I reinstalled my pc as of late.

There's also cbatticon, written in C: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=116593. I haven't bothered to look into that one yet, since I don't use my battery very often at the moment. Let me know if you try it.

Board footer