SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-07 10:01:03

ChrisOfBristol

Simple, fast and professional

My first impresssions of CrunchBang

I was recently given an old laptop which is an Asus Hi-grade Notino A1300, it has an 800MHZ processor and 384MB of memory which is the maximum. I only want to use it for reference when I am in a club meeting and for Internet access when I am away, it would be nice if it could play small news video reports.

It had Xubuntu on when I got it, which was generally alright, but it wouldn't play videos and didn't have wireless support installed (I didn't try to install it) so being familiar with Ubuntu, I tried Lubuntu. Wireless installation was a nightmare, it only just about played videos and it felt crude. I then tried Puppy, wireless was installed automatically and worked, and the look and feel was a lot better. The problem was the installation process - you have to work out yourself what to do. I was never sure about the difference between "Frugal" and "Full" installations and which would be best for my system. It's a rather odd setup and I never had confidence in it.

After doing a bit of research I briefly tried a few other 'minimalist' distributions and Crunchbang seems to win hands down.

• It uses DEB packages which are commonly available and I and many other Linux users are used to.

• The simple installation process leads you through it - this is my first post! When I try a new distribution and join its forum my first post is usually "Please help me to....."

• The Openbox desktop is simple and looks smart.

• Videos are just about ok.

• Wireless was present and setup easily.

• Menus aren't overloaded with dubious applications, there is a small number which are useful and good quality.

• It's speedy - it will scroll through one of my spreadsheets quite satisfactorily which Lubuntu would not.

Overall it seems to do 'what it says on the tin' - it's a small and fast distribution, but unlike others it is easily installed and looks professional.

Probably to be continued...

Last edited by ChrisOfBristol (2013-01-07 10:04:47)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-01-07 10:29:52

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: Simple, fast and professional

Welcome to the herd!

ChrisOfBristol wrote:
  • Videos are just about ok.

That's a rather low-spec laptop, but "just about OK" is never good enough in my opinion; please feel free to start a new thread and we'll see what we can do about making it awesome.  At a minimum include the output of

lspci

so we can see exactly what hardware you have there.

#3 2013-01-07 11:21:49

ChrisOfBristol

pvsage: I did say that it was an old laptop and I didn't expect much of it, I don't want to turn a very positive impression into a criticism. If you think it's possible to speed the videos up it would be useful though, so I've posted the lspci in a different thread.

Last edited by ChrisOfBristol (2013-01-07 12:00:03)

#4 2013-01-07 11:55:14

fatmac
#! Die Hard

ChrisOfBristol wrote:

I did say that it was an old laptop and I didn't expect much of it, I don't want to turn a very positive impression into a criticism. If you think it's possible to speed the videos up it would be useful though, so I've posted the lspci in a different thread.

I have posted in the other thread; hope it is of use to you.

/moderator edit:  fixed link

Last edited by pvsage (2013-01-07 14:45:51)

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2013-01-07 12:02:18

ChrisOfBristol

fatmac, could you edit out or update the quote please as I have just realised that my link is to an edit not to the post itself.

#6 2013-01-07 14:52:53

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@fatmac:  I fixed the link for ya. cool

@ChrisOfBristol:  My apologies if you thought I interpreted the comment about videos being "just about OK" as criticism; I understand sluggish video is common on older, slower hardware, and I'm thrilled that CrunchBang has usable video on such a low-spec machine! big_smile  I see The Good Doctor has stepped in on your other thread; you're in good hands now.

#7 2013-01-07 18:03:32

ChrisOfBristol

Thanks Section Six!

#8 2013-01-07 20:22:37

fatmac
#! Die Hard

@pvsage
All sorted then, thanks. smile

Last edited by fatmac (2013-01-07 20:24:14)

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#9 2013-03-20 12:29:44

Dries

Simple, fast and professional, +1
I fully agree with that.

For 2 months I purchase a Acer Aspire One netbook (D270), with the Linux-distro Meegoo installed. I gave it a try for a day or 2, but Meegoo wouldn’ t click for me. wink
So I tried Debian Wheezy first, and than Xubuntu, but I wasn’t happy with it. So after a little bit of hesitation - isn’t it to geeky? cool - I tried CrunchBang Waldorf.
From day one I liked it, and the longer I’m working with it, the more I appreciate this distro. A recommendation for everyone who isn’t a newbie in Linux, and expect some production from his machine.
I wanna thank everyone who made CrunchBang possible!

Of course there where a few problems. One even fairly severe; spinning down the hard disk 8 to 10 times a minute!
After I installed CrunchBang I noticed a poor performance in compare to the ‘live-version’ from an usb-stick. I was wondering why, till I heard this constantly spin up and down behavior from the disk.
A little bit searching on the web learned me this was a bug in Debian, and it is a shame it isn’t solved yet, cause Ubuntu has solved this.
I made the necessary changes from the apm-settings in /etc/hdparm.conf , while -in the long run - it will damage your disk, and the lack of performance is annoying.

Another annoying thing was the dysfunctioning of the fn-keys for brightness-control. Every possible solution on the net didn’t work. Only setpci did, so a bunch of simple scripts, bit of ‘keymapping’, and some playing around with permissions worked well for me.

As I said; I’m very happy with CrunchBang and I will sure stay with it for a while, and hopefully longer. smile I’m considering to install it on every machine here in the house.
Again: Thank you developers of CrunchBang.

Dries

Board footer