SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-11-17 14:07:23

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Re: Updated Waldorf "Testing" images: 20121015

dura wrote:

I would agree to the Y to confirm as I have mis-typed the s key on more than one occasion.

Me too actually. I accidentally installed java on a new install on another machine the other day and had to remove it. hmm

Agreed, moving to the 'Y/n' format would be better. I will add it to my todo list. smile

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2012-11-17 14:09:22

corenominal
WRONG
Website

f.zweig wrote:

Could you please update waldorf-slim-theme to depend on fonts-liberation instead of ttf-liberation? Thank you. smile

Yes. Added to my todo list. smile

#53 2012-12-02 16:18:46

gregbangs141

I'm glad this was done before I found out about Crunchbang to make using Debian easier smile
I really like #!
Thank you

#54 2012-12-13 02:54:08

lovelinux

Hi,
New to Crunchbang moving from linuxmint lxde. A very nice experience on my netbook and desktop. I would say this is the very stylish distro around.
I have a little problem. My netbook's (Dell Inspiron mini 10v) touchpad is not working to highlight/copy/paste/move window. Distros like perppermint, LM, Bodhi are just working fine. I have put this on the forum but I still could not solve this until now. This is the one thing which prevents me from installing on my netbook. I am happily using it on my desktop. No problem there.

Thanks a lot for a wonderfully light weight and stylish distro.

#55 2012-12-13 03:52:32

mishle
#! CrunchBanger

Looks like its a kernel thing

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … ost9175201

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=70209&f=141

Hope this helps

Last edited by mishle (2012-12-13 03:53:37)

#56 2012-12-20 18:06:43

caieng
#! CrunchBanger

Hi Philip and all other Crunchbangers;

Thanks, very much Corenominal for your excellent travail, perhaps underappreciated in the Linux community at large.

I have been so satisfied with my older versions, that, until recently, I had not endeavored to install the newest version Waldorf.  I confess that I was initially taken aback by the size, greater than the capacity of the blank cdroms available in the house.  Wow.  New experience, no cdrom needed, just followed the excellent directives, and used dd with terminal, to install from flash memory.  GREAT job.  Thank you very much.

So, I must preface my remarks, with one other kudo.  I remember having previously acknowledged with gratitude your effort to simplify autologin, by creating that excellent little program found in "Settings"< called "User Login Settings".  Nevertheless, I would be remiss, if I did not once again, at the risk of inducing anoyance, thank you, sincerely, for this lovely method to enable autologin.  Well done.  Very much appreciated.

My particular application requires VLC, so, naturally, I was also dissuaded from trying Waldorf, because of the decision, one with which I heartily disagree, to substitute Gnome media player for VLC.  However, I have subsequently learned, albeit painfully, that it is very easy to remove Gnome player, and replace it with VLC.  Now that I know how to do it, it is a simple process, really, does require making a few changes to Opera, disabling the default switch enabling browser plugins.

I should note, for the record, that I originally became attracted to CrunchBang, ONLY because it offered VLC as default, at a time when most other distros were using horrible media players.  At that time I was quite repelled by the Openbox window manager, but I have since grown to love it, THANK YOU, Philip, for teaching me so much.

I do not understand the decision to change to Gnome media player, but that is Philip's choice, and he is entitled to do whatever he wants.  I simply wish to sound a note of encouragement to those who, like me, had been thinking of switching to some other distro, because of this infernal Gnome nonsense.  It is easily removed with synaptic.  The install of VLC is equally painless.  What remains annoying, for sure, hence the purpose of this post, is a bug, which manifests itself in different fashions.

1.  Gnome Media Player remains, even now, as the selection available to the user of CrunchBang, despite having been removed!!!!
2.  VLC does NOT appear in the group of "Multimedia" choices.
3.  VLC can be invoked, by using "RUN", and typing VLC, though it nowhere appears in any menu.

I am very contented with my newest CrunchBang, thanks again Philip, great job.  I will still use it, but I have to ask, WHAT DID YOU GAIN, by deleting the world's premier media player, and substituting crap:  Gnome, anything.

Allow me to remind folks, why we should use CrunchBang:  FAST, LOGICAL, INTUITIVE.
Quite simply, in all of my tests, of the internet radio station, CrunchBang is the best.  No doubt in my mind.  But, what in the world were you thinking, to remove the premier media player?

happy holidays, heres' hoping all the best, for the new year!!!!

CAI ENG

#57 2012-12-20 20:17:41

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Ah, caieng, always a pleasure to read your posts! smile

/hugged

#58 2012-12-20 20:35:00

corenominal
WRONG
Website

@caieng, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Regarding VLC, it will return before Waldorf transitions to stable. FYI, VLC was temporarily replaced by GNOME MPlayer due to a nasty bug that affected compositing and Openbox. This bug has now been resolved and I will revert to VLC for the next set of images. smile

#59 2012-12-20 21:52:51

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

So when Wheezy/Waldorf goes stable, will there be a "Lew Zealand" release based on Jessie?  big_smile

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#60 2012-12-23 16:09:10

djvdorp

Cool release! Any chance there'll be build-scripts available for this version?
I am thinking about porting it to my Raspberry Pi wink

#61 2012-12-24 08:31:33

scket
#! CrunchBanger

#62 2012-12-24 08:54:31

rochacbruno
Website

Just installed Waldorf on a HP Pavilion dm1 notebook, everything works out of the box! Sound, Camera, Volume Control! I only had to install the brcsmac module for my broadcom b4313 and also I had to include the "brcsmac" module on /etc/modules. Everything else worked ok!

Thank you for this excellent distro running well on less than 400MB on my poor notebook!

Last edited by rochacbruno (2012-12-24 08:55:12)

python -m antigravity

#63 2012-12-26 10:05:23

Blackout

Installed it on an office PC at my mum's office. worked like a charm.
installed all relevant software and deinstalled everything unused and
disabled compton and a few things unneccessary and it boots with ~70mb Ram usage
in idle state.

The performance is much faster than the dualbooted win7 so that even my mum works with it.
What really impressed me because she always told me she needs an OS which works out of the box with no need to "play" with it to get it work.

For sure I have to help her with configuring it to her needs because he has no time for reading sites for hours.

but it's really nice to see how people can change their opinion.

update:

I have done the speed comparison between the #! boot and win7 boot

boot time from grub until logon screen
Win7    1:01
#!        0:16

load os from logon until beeing able to open an image
Win7    0:48
#!        0:12

shutdown
Win7    0:16
#!        0:06

hardware is a slow and old office pc
intel celeron 326 2.53Ghz @ 3.6Ghz
4Gb Ram @ 533Mhz
1Tb WD (I haven't done any hdparm tests jet)

Last edited by Blackout (2012-12-26 16:46:19)

#64 2012-12-26 21:02:13

bklive
Website

Glad I got the waldorf image before VLC was put back. GMPlayer is just fine with me!

fresh installation on desktop hp p7 was without a hitch, and besides minor UI tweaks to my own liking, there was no further setup required.

Question: if libreoffice installer is included (and then chosen), can there be an option within that to remove Abiword/Gnumeric or never have them installed in the first place?

And what about Shotwell vs GIMP? GIMP is huge, and it is somewhat overkill for photo viewing/editing. This would also replace Viewnoir, or rather the need for it.

Suggestions! UNITE!

M$ free since 2003, Linux since '96

#65 2012-12-26 22:01:44

Blackout

bklive wrote:

And what about Shotwell vs GIMP? GIMP is huge, and it is somewhat overkill for photo viewing/editing. This would also replace Viewnoir, or rather the need for it.

I totally agree with your idea of abiword and gnumeric,
but I wouldn't want shotwell. It's too big for viewing and to lite for editing in my opinion.

#66 2012-12-27 19:16:06

ew
#! Die Hard

bklive wrote:

Glad I got the waldorf image before VLC was put back. GMPlayer is just fine with me!

fresh installation on desktop hp p7 was without a hitch, and besides minor UI tweaks to my own liking, there was no further setup required.

Question: if libreoffice installer is included (and then chosen), can there be an option within that to remove Abiword/Gnumeric or never have them installed in the first place?

Suggestions! UNITE!

Does it really mather? You can remove and install everything... I think that #! should include some lightweight apps to get the novices started. For people that are a bit more skilled and/or interested it really don``t mather, because they will replace the current apps with their favourite apps anyway...

- apt-mark hold account

#67 2012-12-27 23:10:48

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

bklive wrote:

Suggestions! UNITE!

Shotwell and GIMP have two completely different functions.

If you want a nice light "viewing/minor editing" program look at mirage.

GIMP would be better compared with PhotoShop, I wouldn't use that to "view" photos.

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#68 2012-12-31 07:31:25

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

Sector11 wrote:

GIMP would be better compared with PhotoShop, I wouldn't use that to "view" photos.

Thanks for the Mirage tip, sir!  I often resize images for posting and GIMP is overkill and Viewnior doesn't do resizing.

Last edited by bigbenaugust (2012-12-31 07:34:23)

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#69 2012-12-31 12:01:43

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

bigbenaugust wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Thanks for the Mirage tip, sir!  I often resize images for posting and GIMP is overkill and Viewnior doesn't do resizing.

You're welcome.  It's really nice for such a small program ...

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#70 2013-01-10 10:01:26

f.zweig

@corenominal: Debian's openbox package has been updated to 3.5.0-6, featuring a few bug fixes. Crunchbang's modified package is still at 3.5.0-2. If you have time, could you update your package as well?

And btw: Crunchbang is the one distro which stopped my distro hopping-drive every other month. Thank you very much for your hard work;  you're doing a great job!

// Edit: Now that I thought about it, you're doing such a great job that i just donated 65 USD via PayPal. Let me thank you again for your work!  big_smile

Last edited by f.zweig (2013-01-10 10:16:14)

#71 2013-01-11 19:38:11

corenominal
WRONG
Website

f.zweig wrote:

@corenominal: Debian's openbox package has been updated to 3.5.0-6, featuring a few bug fixes. Crunchbang's modified package is still at 3.5.0-2. If you have time, could you update your package as well?

Sorted, thank you for letting me know. Interestingly, the new Debian package now contains the same patches as the #! package, so I have simply removed the #! packages -- it is good to use the vanilla Debian packages where possible.

And btw: Crunchbang is the one distro which stopped my distro hopping-drive every other month. Thank you very much for your hard work;  you're doing a great job!

// Edit: Now that I thought about it, you're doing such a great job that i just donated 65 USD via PayPal. Let me thank you again for your work!  big_smile

Thank you! I really appreciate your help and contributions. smile

#72 2013-04-26 19:47:22

whowne

Triying it right now  wink

I'm stay in Crunchbang forever! wink

Board footer