SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-21 03:58:01

coffeebreak

Diving outside the Netbook...

Hello!

Several months (okay, maybe a year ago) I posted my introduction and have stuck with Crunchbang Statler on my little Netbook, the fantastic Asus 701 4G. It impressed quite a few folks around my nerd circle or whatever you want to call such a thing. Well, I think I'm going to move to a bigger game of sorts...

This is fairly adventurous for me, as my experience with Crunchbang has been such a pleasure. I actually enjoy the out-of-the-box experience I got from it for the Netbook.

"GET ON WITH IT!" screams the crowd.

Okay, okay. So I have this laptop that I've had for a year and it finally went out of warranty, so I want to do the rational thing...

Put Crunchbang on it. I figure this is as good as any sort of thing to do. My hope is to chronicle my adventure in this thread. Granted, some may find this silly and if they are annoyed by the random revival of such a thread after a week or so of dormancy, please, forgive the intrusion and I'll stop.

Anyway. A little about the laptop, a link to it's product page (I'll spare the number of things you'll have to read if you don't want to):
Lenovo e420

Why am I chronicling this?

A little bit of documentation on my part, which may seem crazy to do in a public forum, however, my aim is dual purpose. My goal is to get everything working like a serenade to a loved one rather pleasant tune. The other purpose is to not only help me, but potentially help others in my quest for making everything work in one spot.

Again, I'll reiterate, if someone finds this annoying - I'll stop. I plan on scouring the web for solutions to get the fingerprint reader to work, the processor to not become a bon fire, and other things to get this laptop to run like a cheetah. I will post sources of where I've found my solution and detail what I did to work it out (if the solution is for another laptop, for instance).

However, I want to make special mention as my last bit of speaking before I dive into things. I do not expect help,  I will find my way, but if someone has a boat of information to use in my quest, I'll try to make my little plank be more seaworthy and also sincerely appreciate the tip/information/whatever provided.

Anyway. It begins tonight!

*Update 1/21/13*
Amazing. Such a joy. Everything works almost out of the box just like Statler.
I have to fix this slight annoyance with the touchpad and me typing on the keyboard though. It wants to hijack the position of my cursor and place it in funny places to make amusing typos. This'll be my first challenge.

Found the solution to the touchpad - now to implement it for my own sanity, before a rabbit decides to come bite my neck off..er what?

Synaptics Touchpad - Curing that infernal palm rest nonsense

Well, that solution didn't work as well as I had thought it'd work for me at least. My cursor became the rabbit (it became all jumpy and fun) instead of a rabbit magically showing up to do something nasty. Back to the drawing board!

Just to be sure what device I had for my touchpad, I did a little digging and found this very helpful article. I guess I was trying to do something from the previous bit of digging that was a bit advanced for my level of linux knowledge. Never fear, Google helps in awesome ways.

Debian - Do I have a Synaptics Touchpad?

Uh - Perhaps one of the erudite users can give some insight...I got a fun error when I typed this into terminal(pardon my ignorance and I really appreciate the help)

user@blahblah:~$ egrep -i 'synap|alps|etps' /proc/bus/input/device
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
P: Phys=synaptics-pt/serio0/input0
user@blahblah:~$ Xorg :1 -configure

Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/var/log/Xorg.1.log"

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
	 at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 

After tweaking and messing around with the syndaemon tool - I appear to have found a fix. Though, I don't like it. The above links and replies mention the fix and I applied it, but it doesn't flow with my work routine very well. I know its silly. We can't all be pleased though.

Anyway - onward to the next bit of fun.

Getting the fingerprint reader to work and use it as a login tool.

Oh, it works now too. Thinkwiki - fprint

I had to do a little wizardry and hocus pocus, but it works like a charm.

Last edited by coffeebreak (2013-01-22 02:32:42)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-21 11:01:43

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: Diving outside the Netbook...

Well you do seem to be a happy bunny.......

Try configuring Xorg as the root user.
(Anything to do with the system.)

If you haven't already come across this thread it may be of general help to you.
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23168

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2013-01-21 23:58:54

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

I'll certainly be following your #! adventure, if you don't mind... smile

Good luck!

#4 2013-01-22 02:34:32

coffeebreak

I've got the touchpad and finger print reader working. Some of the interfacing (especially) the finger print reader could look a little more polished, but I'm getting things to work.

Now to get the battery usage down.

Board footer