SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-03 12:44:39

sagesparrow
#! CrunchBanger

Mysterious disappearance of an entire folder today

The weirdest thing happened today.  I was working with some files in a particular folder.  I had a number of files open, switching back and forth between spreadsheets, and at some point the entire main folder disappeared - gone! deleted with all the subfolders and files.  Fortunately I had a recent backup of the important stuff and so averted a disaster.  But I looked all over for the folder in case it was accidentally moved and did searches of the entire file system.  Nada!  It didn't go in the trash.  I did not reboot the computer at the time either to make sure that any possible recovery wasn't ruined. 

I am open to the possibility that I had inadvertently deleted the folder, but any attempts to delete a folder either a.) put the folder in Trash (highlighting folder and hitting "delete") or b.) brought up a warning/confirmation message (right click menu "delete").  Neither of those things happened when the folder got deleted today.  I was not using the terminal at all so there was no "rm" type of accidental deletion. 

Any ideas how else the folder could have been accidentally deleted without a popup confirmation message or put in trash?  I'm using Waldorf, just updated, and Thunar 1.6.2.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-02-03 13:23:26

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: Mysterious disappearance of an entire folder today

It didn't by any chance get moved into another folder accidentedly?
Did you use 'find' to see if it, or your file, is still on your system?
(find / -name myfile)

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2013-02-04 00:57:04

sagesparrow
#! CrunchBanger

I searched for it manually, with catfish, with find, etc.  It's not there as far as I can tell.

#4 2013-02-08 07:53:42

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Hello,

how about

du ~/.local/share/Trash/files

should throw out a list of the Trash folder. Also, as superuser, check /root/.local/share/Trash/files if you have been working as root before - the files are then moved into the root's rubbish bin.

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#5 2013-02-09 12:26:41

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

You da man, machinebacon.  I'm always learning something from your posts.  I never knew about the du (disk usage) command until your post.  Thanks!

Edit:  Wouldn't the folder show up under ~/.local/share/Trash/files in a graphical file manager as well?

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-02-09 12:30:53)

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

#6 2013-02-09 12:30:55

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Thanks KrunchTime. There's another favourite called 'ncdu' which is a ncurses interface for du. It has the keybindings 'r' for 'refresh view' and 'd' for 'delete folder/file' and is extremely handy if you try to find folders and files sorted by size. Install size is minimal, so have a try, it's worth it wink

Edit: If the hidden folders are set visible, yes. But you wouldn't be able to see the dustbin in /root/.local/...

Last edited by machinebacon (2013-02-09 12:31:47)

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

Board footer