SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-01-27 00:24:14

ayushjsh

Re: A Waldorf netinstall script

OK I tried the script again with the  same messages popping up again. Unfortunately no messages were written to install.log cos I guess everything installed properly but the error ocurred at the stage of "Copying in new system files"adding directory /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d
Error
first two arguments of install_sysdir() must be existing directories

now exit

and im afraid as to why there is nothing written on my install.log this time , cos i remember that it was printing error messages earlier hmm

I end up with a system which clearly has crunchbang installed but nothing starts automatically on login, no obmenu , no nothing ... blank screen and a cursor where no key binding works !

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2013-01-28 17:08:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ayushjsh, sorry to hear about this problem, and tahks for sticking with it!

I will be putting up a new version of the script in a few days (I hope!), but if you want to push ahead with trying to fix your issue now, my first question would be: why haven't you got an install.log file? The script should exit with an error if it can't create a log file. Is there a folder .cb-netinstall-logs in your home folder? Watch the initial dot. To see "dotfiles" in Thunar you have to press Ctrl+h, and to list them in a terminal you have to use 'ls -a' instead of 'ls'.

If you find your logfile, perhaps you could post the last 20 or 30 lines?

John     Please help us keep your forums manageable.   Don't Break Debian
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#53 2013-01-31 14:14:31

ayushjsh

Well I am waiting for your new script I guess. As far as the log file goes, I know how to look for hidden files and I did find the .cb-netinstall-logs file , but it was empty !!! the folder install logs is present with the other files alongside which I guess are for stuff added and removed.

I am distro-hopping and came here after Archbang and I wanted the comfort of Debian with an openbox environment. the only way to get to that was your script as I cant use legacy bios boot form usb on my new laptop and hence cant create a usb bootable for crunchbang installer ( tried some hack with editing grub from debian and using it with crunchbang ) but only to find that the cb-installer does not detect my ethernet and wifi card ( Debian detects wifi and it works fine ! ).

So I am stuck with installing from your script, unless a new version of cb comes out which will take a while.

Fingers crossed for a new version of your script soon and hope it works. Will give feedback once i try it.

#54 2013-02-01 03:08:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OK now half done. smile

@ayushjsh I found the same error message as you, and finally traced it to permissions on the /etc/polkit-1/localauthority folder, which have changed recently and now forbid even read access to ordinary users, preventing the script from looking inside it to find /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d .

Unfortunately, I still have no idea why you have no install.log. I get a ~/.cb-netinstall-logs folder containing 8 files, including install.log and a README.

The script has now been patched to fix the permissions issue, and should succeed in installing CrunchBang, but the package lists and config files have not yet been updated. You could try the current script (download it again) to get an idea of what CrunchBang Waldorf is like, or wait a few more days for the up to date version, with all the current improvements.

Thank you again for finding that permissions issue, which would probably have caused more problems elsewhere if it hadn't been fixed.

--------------------
#! forum moderator

#55 2013-02-19 17:30:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OK finally the new version is out, and installs a pretty much exact copy of Wladorf 130119.
Please let me know if anything seems to be missing.
The download url has not changed.

Other changes:

• quite a few bug fixes, many of them corner cases which might not come up too often

• a bit more robust - you can run it more than once  with no damage

• more helpful messages

• more modular - everything is configured in external files, making customization easier

• You can choose to use the default Debian http.debian.net repositories, or just add the #! repos to the mirror you set up during the Debian netinstall.

I'm hoping this will be useful for people who can't install from a usb stick, and also as a way of making an installer for other custom CrunchBang or Debian Wheezy systems.

--------------------
#! forum moderator

#56 2013-02-28 17:32:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

A How-to thread has been started here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=25098
Let's use that one for questions about how to use the installer, or problems installing Waldorf with it, and from now on keep this thread for discussing the script itself - customization, bugs or suggestions for improvement.

--------------------
#! forum moderator

#57 2013-04-02 11:24:09

Hadret
Website

@johnraff: due to the fact, that there's more people interested in this script, would you please consider putting it to GitHub* for example, so more people can work on it? I think that everyone involved and interested can only benefit from that (:

* - GitHub is only an example, any VCS will do and if you want to keep more "private" approach of development, I can provide GitLab instance dedicated to Crunchbang scripts etc. development.

#58 2013-04-03 05:08:35

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi Hadret, I was indeed just thinking of putting the installer up on Github. smile

I'm not a git wizard, but hope to have it organized in a couple of weeks...

--------------------
#! forum moderator

#59 2013-04-04 10:28:17

Hadret
Website

I'm not an Wizard myself, but I most certainly can give you a hand in establishing this (if you need one) (:

#60 2013-04-05 17:12:13

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Thanks Hadret - I appreciate your offer of help! Two heads are better than one.
I'll read up the documentation and get started, and if I hit a problem I'll certainly take up your offer. smile

--------------------
#! forum moderator

#61 2013-04-11 16:58:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

The installer is now on GitHub here:
https://github.com/johnraff/cb-netinstall

All the files are there, but I am a bit puzzled about file permissions. If you download the zip archive and extract it, all the directories seem to have permissions of 700 when all except one of them ( sysfiles2/etc/polkit-1/localauthority ) should be 744.

I added a 'copyright' file declaring the GPL licence, based on the files you find in /usr/share/doc. I guess that's as good as a LICENSE file?

--------------------
#! forum moderator

#62 2013-04-17 05:58:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

People interested in making custom installers might also like a look at simple-cdd:
http://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD

--------------------
#! forum moderator

Board footer