SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-15 22:51:52

MrPopinjay

Reducing the extent to which maximised windows drop shadows onto tint2

Hello!

New to Crunchbang, loving it so far. Might be my way out of the Ubuntu ecosystem :)

One thing that bugged me was the way that maximised windows would drop quite a substantial shadow onto the tint2 panel that would effect the window icons quite a lot. I seem to have (sort of) solved the issue by changing the panel_layer value in tint2rc from 'bottom' to 'normal'- is there any disadvantage to this? I've not noticed any so far but I assume the default value was picked for a reason. (Or perhaps I'm only noticing the shadow because I moved the panel to the bottom?)

Either way, I'd like to suggest that a change be made to the default config so that that windows drop less of a shadow onto the panel's icons.

Thanks,
Louis

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-03-15 22:56:58

rkwurth
#! Junkie

Re: Reducing the extent to which maximised windows drop shadows onto tint2

You can make compton tell tint2 to drop shadows into maximized windows.

#3 2013-03-17 10:34:40

RichardGv
#! Member

• Shadow of higher windows will be dropped onto the lower ones. I think that is the way it works since I was born. I guess to change this will cause quite some confusions for users, and if a window is not snapped to the tint2 window but just a few pixels away, you might see a clipped shadow, which is pretty ugly from my viewpoint. I'm not personally aware of any X compositor that has this feature.

• A workaround is to set tint2's `panel_layer` to `normal`, or better, `top`, as what you mentioned. If tint2 is using true transparency and you have a semi-transparent background, you might see shadow behind tint2 window, but I hope this is not as serious. A disadvantage is, you may found tint2 overlapping other windows.

• Another possibility to configure your compositor to display a smaller, less distracting, shadow, or change the shadow direction (offset). I use a shadow with opacity 0.7 + radius 7, and I don't see it distracting myself. Yet, my panel is on the top of screen.

• If you are using compton as compositor, we don't currently have a plan to add a feature that prevent shadows from being casted onto specific windows, because of the reasons I stated in the first point. You are welcomed to implement this yourself, though. It's fairly simple, as far as I know: You just add a member `no_shadow_region` to `session_t` (or generate this in an accumulative way in `paint_all()`, which creates a different effect), match windows in your desired way with `c2_match()`, and call `XFixesSubtractRegion()` on the `reg_paint` before the call to `win_paint_shadow()` in `paint_all()`.

Last edited by RichardGv (2013-03-18 08:05:56)

#4 2013-06-09 09:28:10

RichardGv
#! Member

By the way, in case you are still considering this, the feature has been added to compton (richardgv-dev branch) due to popular demands: https://github.com/chjj/compton/issues/116

Board footer