SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#626 2013-03-21 02:42:40

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

That makes sense. And all compacted into one sentence.  lol

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#627 2013-03-22 03:05:31

Archiboldian
Website

Barnabyh wrote:

That makes sense. And all compacted into one sentence.  lol

Fanx!

archiboldian.co.uk -- main site
exp/erimental -- browser based javascript experiment-art

#628 2013-03-22 06:01:36

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

My reason for first using #! is that it's built on Debian.  I've used Debby for work for quite some time due to its stability, and when I came across #! it was like light emerged from the clouds, calling to me in a small voice, "We've been waiting for you."  I always hated having to either install a full-blown DE, or build up a simple WM for every little install...and when I was done, my system looked a great deal like what crunchbang does out of the box.  It seemed like a valid reason to try it.  Once I did give it a shot, I was hooked.

#629 2013-03-26 05:35:32

ausmuso

I've talked about my long-ish association with Linux in my personal intro.

I mostly used SuSE -later OpenSuSE -  for years but they never recovered from their takeover by Novell. Also KDE4 came along and that was the end of a beautiful friendship.

For some years I then used Ubuntu, but Gnome3 and Ubuntu's Unity desktop were just a bridge too far. I then changed to LinuxMint. At least they still had workeable desktops, but I got increasingly unhappy with the Ubuntu twigs and repositories so I changed to Mint LMDE. Whichever way you run it, though, there's a lot of Gnome-bloat in there. And why the obsession with developing the Cinnamon desktop if there are a lot of perfectly good desktops around, all ready for use?

I fell in love with the LXDE desktop (which is OpenBox-based) so imagine my joy when I discovered #!. Here I had exactly what I wanted: a lean and mean Debian-based distro running OpenBox. I've got it running now on 3 machines, including an old EeePC701 and it gives me everything I could wish for, including a great forum! ( I couldn't resist the temptation of putting LXDE on top of OpenBox though)

The trouble with having an open mind . . . .
  . . . . . . is people come and put things in it.

#630 2013-04-07 17:02:22

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

I have been a diehard Mac user since 1988. I wanted a change, so I started discovering Linux going through several distros in the past couple of years. I grew to love Puppy Linux. So simple and flexible.

I was looking for a distro that was similar to Puppy but had an excellent repository. Enter #!. Nice balance for me!

Then, last fall (2012) I discovered Crunchbang Statler. I had a lot of problems getting it to work on my Dell 3000 machine (some of the problems had to do with my Linux ignorance smile). I abandoned it for a few months and now I am back with Waldorf. We'll see how this run goes. So far so good, plus amazing support!!

Last edited by rmcellig (2013-04-07 17:19:20)

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

#631 2013-04-08 06:36:05

PinkPanther

Very nice distro,one of rare where everything works OOTB.Even my Broadcom 4312 wireless.Also one of rare distros that recognizes my native screen resolution.It's 1366x768 but every other distro ,except OpenSUSE,sees only 1024x768.I have tried to figure why but no luck so far.Arandr,xrandr,nothing helps.It says 'failed to set gamma output'.

#632 2013-04-11 12:27:01

ergon

I dunno why I use Crunchbang. but I know when I read a post about how Crunchbang is stable, fast and etc, I decided I wanna tried it. I think I have made the right choose and I did.

#633 2013-04-12 03:27:10

ZAP
#! Junkie

ZAP wrote:

I'm actually going over to the dark side in a couple weeks (gulp!). My main laptop is dying, and I bought a new ASUS UX21 that I'm going to pick up after midnight the night that I arrive back in the US for a group retreat in the woods. I'm only going to have time to install what I need in Windows 7 before leaving early the next morning for the retreat (thank you, ninite), so I'll be Windows-only for at least that week (though the first thing that I'll do is resize the Windows partition so I have room to install Linux as well). I did some research and it might actually be a challenge to get this laptop to work properly with Linux right now, so I may end up using Windows for a while until some of the driver kinks are worked out. As a web developer, Windows does have some advantages for me (Adobe CS, better video editors, and native IE testing), but I'm not looking forward to having to deal with Window's bloat and proprietary software model again. I do have a soft spot for Notepad++, however.

Turns out I was seduced by the dark side for quite a while. I ended up using that little ASUS ultrabook with Windows 7 as my main computer for over a year. It's not my ideal system by any means, but I found that it was often easier to just go along with the dominant OS (especially as a web developer).

But now I'm back to #!, and I'm very happy to have rediscovered this old friend. And do you know what motivated me to use #! as my main OS again? It's not that every other OS seems to be going to hell in a handbasket (although that certainly is true - from Windows 8 to GNOME to iOS/OSX to Unity...), it's that someone introduced me to Synergy.

For those of you who haven't yet tried it, Synergy allows you to control multiple computers with one mouse and keyboard (over wifi). So I can have my Windows laptop (with Photoshop, Office, and IE) next to my main #! laptop and control them both almost as if they were just multiple monitors of the same machine. It's freaking brilliant, and I can't believe I never encountered it before. There's a GUI in the repos (quick-synergy), but grab the deb file from the Synergy website if you want to try it, since the version in the Wheezy repos doesn't work with the latest OSX or Windows versions.

#634 2013-04-12 12:53:43

RedBeard

I was an on again off again Linux user for a while until my wife and I decided to get rid of satellite TV and just do the Netflix thing.  Sure we saved like $55/month, but I had to stick with Windows. 

Recently I was looking into creating a testing server VM for a 2d MMo that I play (themanaworld.org) and decided to try #!.  I dl'd it and setup the local server and client, did everything I needed to do in just a couple of hours.  I've always been a fan of simplistic desktops and was, of course, smitten with the #! openbox setup.  After a few days of messing with it, noticing the low resource usage, ease of navigation thanks to the keybinds displayed on the wallpaper, I decided to look into Netflix for linux.  Lo and behold, there is a solution!  Since I saw the link to the Neflix app, I have installed #! natively on my laptop, which I'm using as a testbed to make sure that i can do everything I need, with the hopes of making a clone and installing it on my desktop.

RB

#635 2013-04-12 19:43:26

PinkPanther

I'm using #! becouse my ex wife told me to.

#636 2013-04-17 17:18:25

xaris

I always liked the idea of an open source OS. So on my first steps I had a Dual Boot with Ubuntu besides my Windows. Started working as Programmer in an Industry's IT I hate Microsoft more and more as times passed. I felt that it was unfair to pay all these money for an unstable O.S. (but also for other products). Some time after Vista came out and we tested them. I said  to my colleagues " Come on now guys Are you kidding me? ". So Ubuntu was my best friend but when unity came out I understood that throw it away and installing gnome 2  will not solve the problem, because it was a strategy problem. All these seemed so happy curly user friendly into my eyes.. tried mint for a while but I needed a change. I was sure about it. While I was searching the Web I found #! . I installed them on a vm the same day. After boot I saw slims Dark Stalter theme. Just black and white perfect ! I didn't need any fancy theme to attract me.  And then cb-welcome started. I thought "A post installation script ? That's very good idea."  I haven't used (seen) openbox  till then. Afterwards I saw the installed Applications. Almost Everything I needit. Just added a few things like (openvpn , clementine, qutIM, Ardour) and tha's all. I loved it! I came back home and I just formated my os partition. Can anyone guess what did I feel in? Even the name is so good Idea. Sth that I 've never felled bored writting. #!

Last edited by xaris (2013-04-17 17:19:55)

Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. - Edsger W. Dijkstra

#637 2013-04-17 17:43:12

msiyer
Website

The hustle-bustle of KDE in OpenSUSE, the shiny widgets, the beautiful and glossy windows, daemons waiting to serve all of your orders etc... make you feel pampered and turn you lazy. I take refuge in #! and feel the same way a monk would feel in the Himalayas.

#! helps in my techno-meditatation. I just came up with that term.

Without distros like #!, we may lose the KISS philosophy.

Last edited by msiyer (2013-04-17 17:43:47)

#638 2013-04-17 22:31:29

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

@misiyer:  I think techno-meditation is a good term.  We get lost in "humanized" technology like KDE, but the point of technology is to be a tool, and #! feels like a tool, or a set of them anyway, so we can really relax into that, meditate on our purpose for using it.  Like this thread.

#639 2013-04-18 14:20:02

amnesiac

As a newcomer to linux, for me #! really opened up the doors to learning the OS. I'm now getting my hands dirty with Slack and Arch, but the performance, efficiency and minimalistic simplicity of #! is why it's currently my primary and something I will most likely adopt on those installations. Of course, it also doesn't hurt that it is an extremely sexy looking distro..

Don't shun the world. Shed it.

#640 2013-04-18 17:11:58

th3pr0ph3t

I use #! because:
1) It's fast
2) openbox can be easily customized
3) crunchbang is fast!

#641 2013-04-18 22:17:35

djendreizak
#! Member

I tried #! Statler and now Waldorf and it gets better and better. Incredibly fast, just a great performance & minimalistic.

#642 2013-04-21 03:49:40

codingman
#! Junkie

It works OOTB and is hackable at the same time, while having a very elegant taste of gray. monkey

U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

#643 2013-04-30 21:31:39

Dr. Breen

It's fast, easy to implement, it works, and with no flashing shiny widgets and dingleballs I don't need.

Most importantly, if an issue arises the forums will probably have an answer posted already!

#644 2013-05-06 11:24:11

textillis
Website

Could someone please point me to the following:
1. a complete list of apps installed with #!
2. the download size (and will I need to dload heaps to get it up to date?)
3. can i download it to usb or must i a) make an image, then b) burn it to my hard-drive

Thanks for any help,
Tex

#645 2013-05-06 22:30:35

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

textillis wrote:

Could someone please point me to the following:
1. a complete list of apps installed with #!

This should be available somewhere but I'm not seeing it on a quick search

textillis wrote:

2. the download size (and will I need to dload heaps to get it up to date?)

The latest waldorf image is not that out of date, it shouldn't involve too much updating.  The download size is listed under the download link on the Download page at the top of the screen.  It will change slightly depending on 64 bit or 32 bit but is around 750 MB.

textillis wrote:

3. can i download it to usb or must i a) make an image, then b) burn it to my hard-drive

You can put the install image on a usb drive.  Try searching the forums for "Install from USB"

Also, this post is off-topic.  Try to make sure your post is in the right topic to ensure you get the answers you're looking for.  If you can't find a thread on your topic, feel free to start your own.  Welcome to Crunchbang.  :-)

Last edited by orionthehunter (2013-05-06 22:33:19)

#646 2013-05-08 05:21:30

ViruSzZ
Website

I use #!  for 6 days now and it is my primary distro now because it's the right tool for the job smile

no, seriously, it's stable, slick, hackable, highly configurable, robust and blazing fast... I must say I like it as much as I like arch linux for real + I run openvz stuff on my #! and that's really great.

#647 2013-05-09 05:43:36

Giblet

1) Cool name
2) Iceweasel default browser
3) Stable
4) Mark Shuttleworth sucks

Last edited by Giblet (2013-05-09 05:52:16)

sudo apt-get remove --purge sudo

#648 2013-05-10 15:11:25

omg#!

I started out with Statler just for older notebooks that call for something lighter, but I just put it on an Athlon II x3 and DOES IT FLY! WHY didn't I do this sooner! Even with an older PATA hard drive it's very responsive. IF I do need to run anything else theres Virtualbox, I have enough ram.. These words of course do not really do justice to my enthusiasm!

Last edited by omg#! (2013-05-10 15:18:18)

#649 2013-05-11 00:06:46

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

I have no idea how was it that I first stumbled upon #! I think it was my attempt to finding something along the lines of Arch but more simple.  I was getting tired of all these distros with fancy schmancy desktops that would only feel buggy and crash from time to time (e.g. ubuntu, linux mint...etc) and I think I found #! on distrowatch one day and the same day I did the install and fell in love with the super simplicity of it all and how you could configure it to how you want it to look like and feel like. I was using linux lite but got bored and kinda hated it later on because it was wearing this "we're reaching out to windows users" mask....and they claim to be more user friendly for windows users....and everything just works but I just stopped liking it so i'm glad there's something like #! around. I'm a fan of it. Never going back to Windows haven't even thought about getting back. The only reason I had Windows was because of gaming issues but I remembered I had a PSONE a PS2 and a Sega Dreamcast (with tons of games! wasn't aware at all that I had these three gaming console gems + a gameboy color with some dragon quest and pokemon titles) so going back to it is out of the question.

Like many of us, I was once a linux noob, kind of see myself as a linux intermediate user right now so I'm also proud of the fact that I actually learn something new every day whilst using linux (or gnu system, whatever you wanna call it...don't go all Richard Stallman on my ass!) but yeah overall #! is the best out there is to offer, and I'm proud of being a part of this family smile

Last edited by nebulaehair (2013-05-11 00:08:55)

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Be excellent to each other!

#650 2013-05-11 05:04:59

kave_mann

Oh yeah, this is a great topic. I started using #! because I wanted to learn Linux and all the tools I needed to start are included without all the extras ( I get to decide what I want = freedom ).  The community is awesome,  I have learned so much about system configuration and customanization from all you good folks. My machine now is totally blue themed from grub to conky with transparent terminals, no window decorations for saving real estate and colorized bash all thanks to reading your input.

I have tried a lot of the other distros but I spent way too much time getting them to act and look like #!  .  So I decided if I want them to be #! why not use #! . Its awsome and it works !!

My favorite way of using CrunchBang is having tiled windows .....  a web page or PDF file along the bottom for learning and VLC and an open terminal across the top. I usually load the other desktops with various less used programs.

I will say Crunchbang is responsible for me becoming Windows free and realizing the freedom that comes with the terminal.

Board footer