SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-16 17:14:51

ergon

[Solved] A Question for OpenJDK vs Oracle?

I have apps like "JDownloader, FreeRapid, etc" and I need  OpenJDK or Oracle to run it in Linux. I had those two OpenJDK and Oracle installed. I don't know why but running apps like that with OpenJDK would mostly hangs or reproduces error. While running those apps with Oracle works flawlessly. So yeah, a little bit of what makes them differs so much?

Another question would be, if I deciced to remove OpenJDK and keep Oracle, will there be problem with other apps in !#? What apps that is using OpenJDK besides Iceweasel?

Thanks.

Last edited by ergon (2013-04-17 16:55:55)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-04-16 17:27:09

Doomicide
#! Junkie
Website

Re: [Solved] A Question for OpenJDK vs Oracle?

They both provide java, use `sudo update-alternatives --config java' to see which one is used and change it. Most applications should run with both, though some specifically require oracle java.

“From each according to his faculties; to each according to his needs”
Look at the code. Look at the silly code!

#3 2013-04-17 01:06:58

ergon

that's just what I need. thanks, Domicide. How do I read the result? Does status auto mode means it'll be used automatically?

Selection    Path                                            Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java          1062      auto mode
  1            /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java   1051      manual mode
  2            /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java          1062      manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 

#4 2013-04-17 02:38:01

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

ergon,

Right now, your system will use the Oracle version by default. If you wish to use OpenJDK by default, just type in "1" (without the quotes) at the prompt, and hit enter.

Last edited by DapperMe17 (2013-04-17 02:39:44)

#5 2013-04-17 10:59:23

Doomicide
#! Junkie
Website

ergon wrote:

that's just what I need. thanks, Domicide. How do I read the result? Does status auto mode means it'll be used automatically?

Selection    Path                                            Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java          1062      auto mode
  1            /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java   1051      manual mode
  2            /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java          1062      manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 

To be honest I don't really know what status means. But a look at the manpage of update-alternatives reveals this:

automatic mode
When a link group is in automatic mode, the alternatives system ensures that the links in the group point to the highest priority alternatives appropriate for the group.
manual mode
When a link group is in manual mode, the alternatives system will not make any changes to the system administrator's settings.

“From each according to his faculties; to each according to his needs”
Look at the code. Look at the silly code!

#6 2013-04-17 15:06:55

ergon

I just read a thread in Linux Mint forum something about Oracle 7 being vulnerable and probably OpenJDK 7 too. Should I worry that?

I just read in here that it is better to keep one (OpenJDK or Oracle) rather than to keep both as to avoid conflict. Also, is it neccesary to remove IcedTea web plugin?

And, I just know that LibreOffice also need OpenJDK. But it seems I don't have to worry as LibreOffice is able to recognize Oracle.

Last edited by ergon (2013-04-17 15:12:39)

#7 2013-04-17 15:20:31

anonymous
The Mystery Member

1. The thread seems kinda old. If you are using Oracle Java, I would make sure you are using the latest version.

2. I think the "conflict" is because he is installing Oracle Java manually (i.e. its not handled by a package manager). I do not know how java is handled in #!.

As for removing IcedTea web plugin, if you are going to follow that website's instructions, then yes you should just remove IcedTea.

#8 2013-04-17 16:06:05

ergon

uh oh okay, thanks anonymous. Complete remove OpenJDK-7-jre-lib  also removes icedtea-7-jre-cacao and jamvm. Guess that means icedtea-7-plugin won't have any use then.

#9 2013-04-17 16:55:18

ergon

And, thank you guys for helping.

#10 2013-04-18 02:40:49

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

Your correct. There's really no point in hanging on two both, unless you prefer that.

In general, stick to the "Open" version, unless you visit sites that don't play nice with it. In that case, Oracle would be your choice.

#11 2014-07-04 00:20:23

Eagleshadow
#! Member

I tried synaptic to reinstall both catfish and oracle and wound up with the same problem. It would seem solving one would solve the other. I will try apt-get install catfish however. No I do not have another i586.tar.gz.  Stack overflow, wasn't me. ( I don't think so!) I"ll report back.

Board footer