SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-26 17:02:51

helkav

how to restore archive packages / previous "good" system

I recently installed the waldorf 32 bit build for older systems on an Acer 3004, and had the wifi etc all working fine. I have been tweaking to help appearance, and today I installed the big-cursor from Debian as I couldn't see any cursors listed when I typed this:

update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

and I found the cursor really hard to see sometimes

I was fairly shocked to see it prompt me to uninstall something like 30 packages, but I thought the system must be right and said sure, you go ahead, knock yourself out...

now I'm left in that classic catch-22 again where somehow the network manager has been uninstalled (I think) and my wifi switch (this is a physical switch in the front of the laptop) light is constantly off even though I can see it listed as both soft and hard unblocked

is there an easy way to restore the packages taken from my system. I will live with the small cursor if that has to be installed. everything must be done either by restoring from the package archives folder or copying to a usb drive and installing that way. I can't connect to the internet by ethernet at the moment...and not sure when that would be available

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-04-26 17:56:13

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Re: how to restore archive packages / previous "good" system

/var/log/dpkg.log should make it possible to list the packages that were removed.
Then it is a question to find out if the packages are still in the cache(s) - /var/cache/apt/archives - or need to be downloaded separately and installed with dpkg -i.

Should be no problem if you have another system connected to the net.

Just give us a shout if you run into problems.

Last edited by xaos52 (2013-04-26 17:59:30)

#3 2013-04-27 07:38:24

helkav

ok that's good to know. so I just find a package with a given filename in the cache and run -dpkg 1 <filename>

in any case I'm now thinking I should possibly have installed statler as I did not notice at the time that waldorf is not a stable release. if I wanted to completely reinstall on the same partition (I previously installed using pendrive for linux on this second partition - first partition is win xp) do I just run the installer again and does it do a "quick" format of the drive

there's no data to lose as yet so I'm not worried about that. I just want to know how to do this, and also it will be useful in future when I mess the system up by installing a different cursor (silly of me!)

later on I want to find a decent system backup so I can backup to an external drive and create restore points. for the moment this will have to do...

#4 2013-04-27 08:28:08

fatmac
#! Die Hard

That should be a lower case 'i' with dpkg ('i'nstall).

I suggest you stay with Waldorf/Wheezy as it is going stable any day now, & has better more up to date drivers.

You can just re install to the same partition it is on now if you want.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2013-04-27 08:51:49

helkav

thanks for that.

also the links to the books - I'm just getting to linux and will definitely have a peek.

just wondering if there's a way to download releases via straight http or ftp rather than torrents as my attempt to download statler looks like it's failed. I don't generally torrent and I tried to do it in Opera but I didn't know if it was properly downloaded because I'm not familiar with "this torrent malarky"

#6 2013-04-27 17:46:28

helkav

woohoo I'm back in. reinstalled waldorf was fairly painless so must keep distro backup where I can remember it next time! now what did I want to do with this here crunchbang...I don't suppose anyone can help with that wink

Board footer