SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-25 20:45:23

Gandalf
Website

Waldorf, state of the art

I wanted to thank  the staff who produced CrunchBang because, after trying many distributions over the past two years (UBUNTU, ARCH, FEDORA, OPEN SUSE) I finally found the distribution that satisfies me fully in all its aspects.
Fast, simple configurations (a bit like ARCH), elegant, updated and it runs like a rocket on both my old PC and the new ones.
What can I say more, I think it's perfect. (From now all my pc are running with Crunch)

PS only one thing, enabled by default the Auto updating Menu.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-04-25 22:12:14

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Waldorf, state of the art

Welcome to #!.  I think you will find many of us use #! for the same reasons.  The leader (corenominal) is the one to thank for most/all of #!'s "perfect"ion.

#3 2013-04-25 22:19:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Corenominal is the one and only person who deserves all credit for CrunchBang; the rest of us on "the team" are just moderators on this forum (some of us even use distros other than CrunchBang) deputized to help maintain order here and keep the spammers, trolls, and other monsters at bay.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-04-25 22:20:03)

#4 2013-04-25 22:45:10

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

pvsage wrote:

...some of us even use distros other than CrunchBang...

yikes What!  Heresy!!

#5 2013-04-26 00:02:15

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

We've discussed the menu before here, a few times.  The general consensus has been that it's a "feature" that some people love, and others dislike.  Considering that #! is a really great way for many people to really begin to understand how "everything is a file," I personally think that automating OOTB menus would actually make it slightly more cryptic for many users.

Beyond that, it's Corenominal's baby, and I think you'll be hard pressed to find (even among those of us who don't use crunchbang exclusively) anyone who doesn't see the elegant simplicity and beauty of it.

#6 2013-04-26 00:08:46

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

DebianJoe wrote:

We've discussed the menu before here, a few times.  The general consensus has been that it's a "feature" that some people love, and others dislike.  Considering that #! is a really great way for many people to really begin to understand how "everything is a file," I personally think that automating OOTB menus would actually make it slightly more cryptic for many users..

Second that

#7 2013-04-26 01:05:58

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

douglas wrote:
DebianJoe wrote:

We've discussed the menu before here, a few times.  The general consensus has been that it's a "feature" that some people love, and others dislike.  Considering that #! is a really great way for many people to really begin to understand how "everything is a file," I personally think that automating OOTB menus would actually make it slightly more cryptic for many users..

Second that

+1

#8 2013-04-26 16:26:53

damo
#! gimpbanger

I too found the menu disconcerting at first, but have come to appreciate the extra control I have. I have learned where the executables live; I can categorise installed apps as I like; I can configure as I like eg I have 3 different GIMPs with different versions/set-ups which are started via scripts - I'd like to see an auto-updater manage that!

#9 2013-04-26 20:22:11

saneks
#! Die Hard

+1 - I love the openbox menu. I just install my 2-3 programs I always need and use the menu editor to have them where I need them.

I still remember my first contact with linux in 1999.. I was like: where's the menu? rightclick anywhere? no desktop files, whaaat? - how am I supposed to work? - whoa, crazy tiny menu is cascading and shit.. where are my files? what is this root, home, mnt, skel, media, bin.. and what are you doing in this crazy terminal.. what the #&%*? - help!! lol

but you can easily install the menu. there's a how to on the forum.

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#10 2013-04-26 22:21:34

Gandalf
Website

saneks wrote:

but you can easily install the menu. there's a how to on the forum.

In fact, I have installed it and reorganized the menus so that, according to my needs, it was more functional (obviously for my taste).
I thought for inexperienced users was a comfort, but it is also true that it is better that they learn how to personalize OpenBox so they can adapt it to their needs.   lol

Good weekend to all

#11 2013-04-26 23:11:20

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ While corenominal does (and should) get the accolades for what he has created, there are thousands of contributions from this community that has also made #! what it is

Welcome!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#12 2013-04-26 23:16:26

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

I  grew up with workbench 1.3.
No menu unless you 'figged it.
Or you knew where it was installed
It is a kinda right of passage.

#13 2013-04-26 23:17:58

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

I  grew up with workbench 1.3.
No menu unless you 'figged it.
Or you knew where it was installed
It is a kinda right of passage.

PS I'm a heretic :-P

#14 2013-04-28 07:31:29

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

I will admit that the lack of an automatically-updating menu OOTB made me somewhat uneasy during my early explorations of crunchbang. But in retrospect, that was actually a very important "feature" because it forced me to do some serious config-file editing in order to get things working like I wanted.

I doubt I would have learned nearly as much at such a rate if I hadn't initially been forced to dive into that menu configuration file.

Board footer