SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#101 2013-05-09 09:47:29

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

machinebacon wrote:

I'd recommend systemd and the option to install an alternative kernel (good old Liquorix days), as well as the choice to track Jessie or Sid in the cb-welcome script. An Openbox entry to store the user's theme configurations (wallpaper, gtkrc, ob) on an external service (github?) might be interesting, considering the huge interest in each others setups.

Good luck, Janice!  kiss

Edit: Oh, and of course bring the Lite menu entries (newsbeuter, mutt, and stuff  ops ) back... Hehe....

^

+1 for the good ol' Liquorix Kernel, I really miss it in Waldorf.

Be excellent to each other!

#102 2013-05-09 17:44:43

Beepmode

The suggestion to add an option to use testing / unstable repositories in cb-welcome is brilliant. I also wouldn't mind if some large packages (Gimp, Abiword, Gnumeric) are dropped.

Apart from that...

I think new users would appreciate a short manual / beginner's guide. It doesn't need to be massive; maybe just some info about all the things that make #! unique (i.e. a little explanation about Openbox, Tint2, Conky etc.).

Localisation! A couple of months ago I gave my mum a laptop with #! installed. She really liked the menu and shortcuts (Penguin-B for 'Browser', Penguin-E for 'E-mail' etc.) but I did have to spent many hours translating some of the #! specific files (and some of the packages #! uses only speak English).

The grapical installer doesn't look very nice. The other day I had a look at OpenSuse and they use a very friendly / pretty installer. As an aside, Suse's theming looks a bit like #! nowadays.

Has anyone already mentioned that Midori deserves to be to be added to browsers menu? It does; it's a really nice, lightweight browser. It even understands Vim-like key bindings (hjkl) and you can search for Debian packages out of the box.

Finally... /bin/sh should be linked to bash (and not dash)!

#103 2013-05-10 12:08:02

jones

+1 smxi

synapse and appfinder should do away with, or reduce the need for the hateful nested menus in openbox.

a convenient oblivion

#104 2013-05-10 13:05:05

saneks
#! Die Hard

include the "flashblock" plugin in iceweasel for the live system. I usually install it each time I boot into the live system. I grew to love that feature in Porteus.  browsing is just so much more relaxed. gives less ads, and videos start with a click, so you can open lots in youtube at the same time and dont have to stop each of them. (and since it is not adbblock, it does not interfere with google ads on the crunchbang startscreen)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#105 2013-05-10 13:57:32

centaur

As food for thought for next time, the two things that would have made Waldorf totally perfect out of the box for me would have been ...

1) a better way to partition via the installer (maybe having GParted load on one of the screens)
2) a totally offline install version (including all of the #! packages on the DVD)

On the whole though I have to say that my first hour with it has been better than any other distro that I've tried.

#106 2013-05-10 14:20:53

farmersdaughter
#! Member
Website

LibreOffice 4 please

Remove GIMP as a default install. I run #! on a netbook and that part was bothersome for me, my netbook doesn't need GIMP and can't run it anyway.

Some non-black official wallpaper... Black gets depressing. And other icons.

Midori as an official install option... again the whole netbook thing. I always end up having Iceweasel and Midori.

Also, Manjaro has an Openbox version with a really cute obmenu... I'd love something like that at #! It shows the icons of the programs right beside the name.

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited by farmersdaughter (2013-05-10 14:25:00)

The Canuck with Questions. And Acer Aspires... if you have #! on an Acer and have a question... ask!

#107 2013-05-10 14:23:13

wizard10000
#! Member

Saw a lot of good suggestions so I thought I'd wade in with my own  smile

I'd like to see some kind of gooey task manager installed as default.  Doesn't matter to me which one, really.

I think there is some value in enabling Debian menus by default as well.

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
  -- anais nin

#108 2013-05-10 14:33:52

damo
#! gimpbanger

wizard10000 wrote:

Saw a lot of good suggestions so I thought I'd wade in with my own  smile

I'd like to see some kind of gooey task manager installed as default.  Doesn't matter to me which one, really.

Better than htop? Which is pretty much a gui task manager imo

#109 2013-05-10 14:37:12

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

Threads like this make me think we need a poll system for the forums...

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#110 2013-05-10 15:31:15

neal

My two cents:

+Keep GIMP/Abiword/Gnumeric
+VLC

And a couple weird ones:
+ apt-p2p by default and working in the netinstall
+ solitaire

#111 2013-05-10 15:38:19

erghiez

+1 for disable composition by default
+1 for smaller iso size (bring back CB lite, less fighting about app preference)

keep the distro simple. we love CB because it is simple and it works.

other complicated things should be done by users. a good, up-to-date wiki and howto might be better than an overly complicated welcome script. afterall, it is impossible to satisfy everyones need smile

#112 2013-05-10 16:12:00

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

kiiroitori wrote:

Threads like this make me think we need a poll system for the forums...

Ey, we're voting for Janice - not the forums!  big_smile But I do agree, a poll system would help alot here.

Last edited by Unia (2013-05-10 16:12:22)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#113 2013-05-10 16:28:10

hq
#! Member
Website

I think this is good. I don't think this is a democracy (:

It just lets the devs get a better feel for the group, the people, and not just statistics.

Long term focus on what has always kept this bunch of merry crunchbangers should be the priority.

Well that's how at least I see it (:

Last edited by hq (2013-05-10 16:28:39)

Dell Studio 1555

#114 2013-05-10 16:40:19

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

hq wrote:

I think this is good. I don't think this is a democracy (:

It just lets the devs get a better feel for the group, the people, and not just statistics.

Long term focus on what has always kept this bunch of merry crunchbangers should be the priority.

Well that's how at least I see it (:

True too, but (at least for me) it's getting hard to get a clear view on all the votes. Unless you keep a list, which I think corenominal does or he got some kind of mega brain cool

Oh well, my replies are only adding to the unnesecary stuff so I'll shut up now  kiss

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#115 2013-05-10 16:55:53

hq
#! Member
Website

Unia wrote:

Oh well, my replies are only adding to the unnecessary stuff so I'll shut up now

It's not unnecessary!

It's cool!

Just brainstorming like this, everyone freely being able to give their opinion. I didn't mean to criticize you, I was just sharing my mind.

Do not shut up! (:

Dell Studio 1555

#116 2013-05-10 17:05:29

wizard10000
#! Member

damo wrote:

Yeah, I think htop is a little intimidating for new users.

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
  -- anais nin

#117 2013-05-10 18:10:32

No-Thing

wizard10000 wrote:
damo wrote:

Yeah, I think htop is a little intimidating for new users.

Is it not why we have the IRC channel... And the forum smile
Some times when I ask of something in the IRC channel - I get 3 different kinds of way to do the stuff I needed wink
And then after the big information trip - I just need to reflect and write things down for future reference! smile

I still have not really used htop much - but I know people on IRC are ready to help when I have anything to ask. *And that is one of the biggest forces about CrunchBang!*
I just love you guys - you give, give and give! And that's cantagious! wink
You influence people and you give out the wisdom - that giving is the light!
I just love you - so B-E-A-Uutyfull you all are!

With love and gratitude - No-Thing But Divine
I am an orphan, alone; nevertheless I am found everywhere. I am one, but opposed to myself. I am youth and an old man at one and the same time. In woods and mountains I roam, but I am hidden in the innermost soul of man. I am mortal for everyone, yet I am not touched by the cycle of the aeons.

#118 2013-05-10 19:31:00

damo
#! gimpbanger

@No-Thing

You haven't posted much yet, but I love the way you write, and I look forward to reading your offerings! If ever an avatar matched the style of posts - it's yours big_smile

Your enthusiasm and humour is "cantagious"!

[Sorry about the thread drift, but sometimes you just gotta say something smile ]

#119 2013-05-10 20:55:24

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

I can't wait to see what the new release will bring big_smile

If I could have but one new feature OTB: backups!

+ cb-* script to (re)configure your backup
+ cb-* script to perform the backup
+ cb-* script to restore a backup from a live environment
+ option to backup /home, or any selection of partitions, or the entire drive
+ option for encryption

I think many folks here would appreciate this feature, nothing fancy, just functional.

#120 2013-05-10 22:00:39

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger

^

I wholeheartedly second this. It would be great to see that as default feature in the future.

Last edited by Menschenkind (2013-05-10 22:01:53)

#121 2013-05-10 23:16:33

Super-Nathan
#! CrunchBanger
Website

damo wrote:
intoCB wrote:

One thing someone mentioned earlier that would be great is menus that updated themselves. I have seen these in Manjaro Openbox and it would be a really nice feature.

I know this gets raised a lot, but one of the things I like about OB is that menus DON'T get auto-updated! I can arrange them how I like

You really should check out the Manjaro system. I am thinking of porting it to Debian (If I do i'll make a package). It is pretty smart. It uses a style sheet to auto-generate the menu and you can edit that sylesheet. SO you can arrange it just the way you want.

#echo "Something useful" > /dev/null

PiBang Linux

#122 2013-05-11 00:10:34

damo
#! gimpbanger

@Super-Nathan

I see what you are saying, but on a more general point I prefer to ENABLE things rather than REMOVE/DISABLE what I don't want. Else I'd use another WM or DE

#123 2013-05-11 00:58:07

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

I only hope it can be better than Waldorf 'cause Waldorf is already superb!

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#124 2013-05-11 05:52:15

Istvan
#! CrunchBanger

Removal of Gimp seconded
Install instead
Fotoxx as basic photo correction tool
No Qt libraries, no VLC , use statically linked Mplayer,ffmpeg as suggested by Brontosaurusrex.
Spacefm could be a good replacement of Thunar.
Tlp or similar power saving tool as default,or optionally in the post install script.

Personally I have no problems with Abiword, but Ted as rtf editor could be considered.

And if agreed,I would love a bunch of cli apps installed optionally to recall the spirit of Crunch 9.04.

Ha ezt el tudod olvasni, biztosan nem vagy rövidlátó.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#125 2013-05-11 08:10:46

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I got one that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread yet: Include an installer that works from the live desktop environment. Even if it's just text based in a terminal I think this would make the #! install media a lot more complete.

Board footer