SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-22 21:39:03

Dev

Suggestion: Replace gFTP with FileZilla or add FileZilla

Ok, so this is my suggestion, I tried gFTP, and I wasn't really pleased with the interface, nor the way it works, but me being used to FileZilla, was used to having it easy and neatly organized, so to keep it short (since I'm really sleepy), I "want"/suggest you add FileZilla as a default install or in the welcome script as an optional install.

That's it! big_smile ---  [CompletelyOffTopic]Gone to sleep [/CompletelyOffTopic] big_smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-07-23 05:08:00

safetycopy
urban legend

Re: Suggestion: Replace gFTP with FileZilla or add FileZilla

I also prefer FileZilla, but I'd imagine Philip's choice to go with gFTP is down to a combination of size and user needs. A large portion of users won't need something like FileZilla (~ 4.5Mb), which is over 3 times bigger than gFTP (~1.5Mb). It's easy enough to uninstall gFTP and install FileZilla, if that's what you prefer.

i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

#3 2011-07-23 05:32:12

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I wouldn't mind gftp if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't figure out how to make it not remember hostnames that I used.

#4 2011-07-23 08:20:15

Awebb
The Singularity

People actually use a GUI to connect to FPT servers?

EDIT: Oh, yes, they do :-D

filezillavsgftphezp.png

The left one shows Filezilla, the right one shows gFTP. They both look okay, it's just the usual thing with software starting with a "g" or a "K", they look rich but lack the special something. Buuuuut I think gFTP is the better candidate for the Live CD, it's smaller and does what an ftp client should.

A little word about that famous post-install script: It is supposed to help you install stuff that shouldn't be on a default system where the user's choice has a certain impact. Language, ntp, java implementation, flash implementation for example. As far as I remember it also gives some newbie handholding and starts an initial update (could be wrong about that). Remember that you have to deal with everything in the welcome script, even if you just ignore it. You can't offer an alternative for everything installed on the system, it is too complex for the average beginner (why should he care about the ftp client?) and too irrelevant for the advanced user (why should he want to use Filezilla? Ge has his own program of choice). We could pretty much let the welcome script ask things like

- SSH?
- VPN?
- VNC?
- Office Suit?
- Adult Content Client?

A good thing to ask in such a script is an elementary item like the webbrowser. Installing a new browser in a DE-less environment is a pain in the butt, those xdg-tools are optimized to work DEs, so they wet themselves when facing an Openbox environment. If the script replaced the browser and took care of that, even a narrow minded DYI fetishist like myself would appreciate it.

Last edited by Awebb (2011-07-23 08:38:45)

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#5 2011-07-23 09:31:41

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

Awebb wrote:

[..] even a narrow minded DYI fetishist like myself would appreciate it.

Do Yourself Internally?

#6 2011-07-23 10:21:17

Awebb
The Singularity

rhowaldt wrote:

Do Yourself Internally?

Yes. What did you think? *pokerface*

#7 2011-07-23 16:14:24

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Awebb wrote:

A good thing to ask in such a script is an elementary item like the webbrowser. Installing a new browser in a DE-less environment is a pain in the butt, those xdg-tools are optimized to work DEs, so they wet themselves when facing an Openbox environment.

I always just use the .debs from the firefox/chrome sites and make a hotkey for them in rc.xml. Might not be the most obvious thing to new users, but there is a fairly obvious shortcut to rc.xml in the default right-click menu. Usually once I install firefox/iceweasel in statler, it just becomes the default for everything. If I want to use chrome on a certain system, I simply don't install firefox.

#8 2011-07-28 19:25:58

Dev

Awebb wrote:

People actually use a GUI to connect to FPT servers?

EDIT: Oh, yes, they do :-D

filezillavsgftphezp.png

The left one shows Filezilla, the right one shows gFTP. They both look okay, it's just the usual thing with software starting with a "g" or a "K", they look rich but lack the special something. Buuuuut I think gFTP is the better candidate for the Live CD, it's smaller and does what an ftp client should.

A little word about that famous post-install script: It is supposed to help you install stuff that shouldn't be on a default system where the user's choice has a certain impact. Language, ntp, java implementation, flash implementation for example. As far as I remember it also gives some newbie handholding and starts an initial update (could be wrong about that). Remember that you have to deal with everything in the welcome script, even if you just ignore it. You can't offer an alternative for everything installed on the system, it is too complex for the average beginner (why should he care about the ftp client?) and too irrelevant for the advanced user (why should he want to use Filezilla? Ge has his own program of choice). We could pretty much let the welcome script ask things like

- SSH?
- VPN?
- VNC?
- Office Suit?
- Adult Content Client?

A good thing to ask in such a script is an elementary item like the webbrowser. Installing a new browser in a DE-less environment is a pain in the butt, those xdg-tools are optimized to work DEs, so they wet themselves when facing an Openbox environment. If the script replaced the browser and took care of that, even a narrow minded DYI fetishist like myself would appreciate it.

Do you really think that 3.x MB would really make a huge difference in loading time or Live CD space usage ?

Those 3 MB are pretty valuable considering the ease of use that FileZilla offers, the main thing that stabbed me in the back with gFTP is that you actually have to click a button (rather than drag-and-drop, like in FileZilla) to transfer files, it's really not that big of a problem for most users, but for some users used to FileZilla's simple and functional interface would hate it pretty much a lot solely for that reason.

As for not offering alternatives in the #! welcome script, I said that it should be either that, or FileZilla should be the default GUI FTP client.

Another thing that bothered me in gFTP is the disproportional and poorly designed UI.

#9 2011-07-28 20:43:21

Awebb
The Singularity

And others are used to gFTP. Not everyone started with windows, not everyone even has the need for something like that. Just think: We add a current Thunar, a working vfs implementation and maybe fuse. There would be no need for an ftp client like that. Those 3MB matter, since you quote my whole post... the answer is in there. Where is SSH on the disk? Why isn't there a default VNC/NX solution on the disk? Why is the samba implementation still so nasty and why can't I mount internal drives (dunno about this now, I haven't tried a new release in a while)? Those things are more than essential. If they are all supposed to fit on a 650MB disk, good luck.

#10 2012-03-13 06:13:50

hydn
Website

so how do you replace? I installed it using the package manager but now cant find it lol

#11 2012-03-13 06:58:10

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ You really need to start new threads and point back to these old threads to effectively get the help you need.

This is your second post on dated material...

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#12 2013-05-10 03:00:05

No-Thing

I looked around the net on this issue - I looks like gFTP is less reliable regarding transfer of files.
Now being a former windows user - and still use it from time to time. I started my journey to Linux forcing myself to replace nearly all my windows programs with programs that I knew would also run on Linux like FileZilla. It's a little bigger then gFTP but come on we are talking a few MB, but if it's more reliable regarding transfer of files AND could help the users jumping on the Linux wagon.... Win, win?

Hey I could probably use both programs without any problem - but I like having one program I can use on both systems *windows and Linux* you know! smile
Well, mayby gFTP is for windows also - Honest, I haven't checked... But if it's less reliable regarding file transfers - who cares then about FileZilla being just a little bigger in size?

So replacing gFTP with FileZilla would only be a good thing in my humble opinion.

Last edited by No-Thing (2013-05-10 03:07:10)

With love and gratitude - No-Thing But Divine
I am an orphan, alone; nevertheless I am found everywhere. I am one, but opposed to myself. I am youth and an old man at one and the same time. In woods and mountains I roam, but I am hidden in the innermost soul of man. I am mortal for everyone, yet I am not touched by the cycle of the aeons.

#13 2013-05-11 08:06:09

ZAP
#! Junkie

@No-Thing: I also use Filezilla on both Windoze and Linux. It's very useful to be able to copy the site manager settings from one machine to another instead of having to reenter them all. And Filezilla is just a better app imho (last time I used gFTP I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to connect via SFTP with key-only authentication, for example).

I'd say that #! should pick the one best tool for each job to be installed by default, and I think that's Filezilla for FTP (at least until something better comes along).

Personally I'd also be fine with not having any FTP app installed by default (tho I personally will always need one), but if there's gonna be one, then I think it should be Filezilla.

#14 2013-08-20 12:04:03

bennisixx
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I just put the URI into the location bar of thunar (  or any file manager ) I do this with samba ftp sftp etc.... Way nicer to have it integrated this way. Plus it works from system to system without worrying if I have a program installed or not. Another benifit is bookmarks in your file manager.

My 2

#15 2013-08-20 13:37:58

shem
#! Member

I'm using filezilla all the time, mostly out of habit. It has one huge and very, very annoying bug: If you don't stop transfers before you close the window, your queue is lost! It doesn't even seem save the queue automatically while it's running, only when you stop transfers and close the window mad Also where did the scheduling functionality go‽ mad

The reason I haven't changed to another, is simply out of habit and I don't find any of the others I've tried to work neither better nor much worse... off the top of my head: gftp, kftpgrabber, krusader (my filemanager of choice), thunar, spacefm, fireftp (in iceweasel).

Off topic, but are there really no ftp-client with proper queue- and scheduling-functionality in Linux‽ Gratis & libre preferred cool I'm thinking functionality rather like torrent-clients  (rtorrent (cli or with rutorrent frontend), ktorrent, even *shutters* transmission or deluge) or emule/amule... I have yet to try out any cli-ftp-progs, but willing to try... after all I'm using rtorrent mainly from cli with tmux wink

Board footer