SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#276 2013-05-22 15:36:06

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Re: Ideas for Janice

anonymous wrote:
kbmonkey wrote:

I want to see more core suggestions!

Just for clarity, what would be considered a core suggestion?

Everything other than this music player, or that file manager? E.g. using systemd, ditching this program from the LiveCD for a vlid reason (not because it's not your preference), extended functionality into cb-welcome etc...

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#277 2013-05-22 15:50:20

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^
Debian
Network (including Web, wireless, ftp etc)
package manager (apt/aptitude is fine but synaptic would work for all needs) + gdebi
video playback
mp3 playback
terminal
run program
file & disk manager + gparted
menu manager
editor
image viewer
burn program (xfburn etc)
archiver
settings program
bleachbit

and all of corenominals stock goodies

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#278 2013-05-22 16:28:51

apprentice
#! Member

anonymous wrote:
saneks wrote:

but putting lots of more choices in it?.. "hey people, check this out -  when you try it live it has nothing in, but is minimal as hell - you might not notice yet, but we have this great huuge post-install script for you after you wiped your old distro and install, which builds and fills your menu and asks you tons of questions and installs everything for you, and we promise this is gonna be a cool setup - trust us." - not too convincing a concept. who should it be aimed to?

Idk, that sounds kinda cool. It seems like a logical intermediate step between having a distro that has xorg, a WM/DE, and apps OOTB versus distros don't install anything. You would neither have to remove the default apps nor install the basics (xorg and WM/DE). We could have a CrunchBang Lite Edition with just Openbox and this script.

like this you mean
not kinda cool
way cool cool

So come up to the lab...
And see what's on the slab

#279 2013-05-22 21:40:51

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

My question is, that, with the existing "waldorf" dvd installation I've got....will I be able to upgrade to Janice with ease? Or will I have to download an iso image again but this time, for Janice?

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#280 2013-05-22 23:41:15

Yamazaki

ew wrote:
Unia wrote:

^ Why should Gparted and VLC be removed? Also, Slim should stay and should be combined with Slimlock so we can finally ditch ugly xscreensaver!

What could be my intention by removing Abiword, Gnumeric, VLC, Gparted etc....?

The answer is quite simple. To slim down the ISO as a nice gesture to those that only can boot their pc`s by cd-rom.... Of course it would be sufficient just to slim down only the i486-version, but it`s much cleaner if all version include the same apps and the same scripts. I would reinstall VLC, Gimp and Gparted myself, but I have no need for those apps to be present on the ISO. Neither does anyone else. Those that cannot install their favourite-apps themselves, should find another hobby...

As for Slim, it should go. It isn`t lighter that lightdm. Actually, after replacing slim with lightdm, my boot-time is slightly faster, and now I have sessions, shutoff and everything present in lightdm without any need to edit sessionfiles or slimconf. Lightdm simply works, and is a better choice for those that can not configure or install anything themselves... 

I forgot one thing that should be removed. Iceweasel. No need to have a working browser on the ISO. The first thing everyone does, is installing their favourite browser, and for me it`s quite simple, "sudo apt-get install chromium". It shouldn`t be to hard for others to do like me.... devil

Edit: I forgot xscreensaver. Are you insane. That`s the coolest thing ever. It looks like something from the past, and i feel like a supergeek when I look at those wonderful fiberlamps... smile

In all seriousness, you'd probably be happy with Arch.

I know it does, but it doesn't get more minimal than doing an install of it with a root-image and a SysrescueCD prompt!

Last edited by Yamazaki (2013-05-22 23:43:20)

#281 2013-05-23 01:24:19

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

nebulaehair wrote:

My question is, that, with the existing "waldorf" dvd installation I've got....will I be able to upgrade to Janice with ease? Or will I have to download an iso image again but this time, for Janice?

All you would need to do is change your sources to point to Janice... If corenominal has any additional sources for #! packages, you would add those also to get the newer files

I dev VSIDO

#282 2013-05-23 02:08:09

heli

get rid of the coreutils

#283 2013-05-23 02:19:36

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ and replace them with what?  You must have some kind of alternative

I dev VSIDO

#284 2013-05-23 04:00:41

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

I would be fine if it went back to statler default apps...

Mplayer2 instead of vlc would be nice. I don't see much merit in removing gparted, since it is possibly one of the more convenient tools to use during a live rescue session.

+1 gutterslob for mug shots, and +1 for vastone for his app preferences/votes. I agree with both of their train of thoughts

@yamazaki
I think you're better off with a fresh netinstall and making your own post-intall script, which isn't too hard to do. Just a bunch of terminal commands in a bash script and call it a day.

Last edited by sunfizz98 (2013-05-23 04:04:05)

#285 2013-05-23 04:49:30

Yamazaki

sunfizz98 wrote:

@yamazaki
I think you're better off with a fresh netinstall and making your own post-intall script, which isn't too hard to do. Just a bunch of terminal commands in a bash script and call it a day.

That's a good idea. There's some examples on the internet. I'll admit, though, I like tinkering with "alternative" install method by hand.

#286 2013-05-23 08:47:26

pvsage
Internal Affairs

VastOne wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:

All you would need to do is change your sources to point to Janice... If corenominal has any additional sources for #! packages, you would add those also to get the newer files

I think that, if corenominal begins with Statler + Testing when building Janice rather than starting from scratch (which I think might be what he did with Waldorf) and documents every step, upgrading from Waldorf to Jessie should be relatively painless.  Seems the biggest caveats would be changes in Xorg, since that was where the biggest problems were when switching from Squeeze to Testing shortly after Squeeze went Stable.

#287 2013-05-23 14:37:12

pipokoeie

rockon1215 wrote:

systemd has always been in the debian repos, it's just not the default.

I'm not sure diverging too much from the debain default base is a good idea. I always imagined #! as the debian base with some changes to the desktop side of things. A really nice default openbox, tint2, compton, and conky setup going and some fresh versions of a few packages (iceweasel for instance) but to leave the core untouched.

Then again, I am not corenominal and he can do what he wants

Im with this guy. I love the fact that it does not stray too far from debian, and practically everything debian applies to crunchbang. Why would you give that up right?
I actually cheated on #! with me and my squeeze  for a day but i just could not take the hideousness of a non crunchbang distro.

cheers!

#288 2013-05-24 14:08:08

Rumpelstiltskin
#! Member

Okay, here we go:

+1 to a better partition manager to be included in the installer
+1 to smxi
+1 to make deadbeef default audio player
+1 to remove abiword and gnumeric
+1 to add midori to the browsers you can install by clicking on the menu thingie
-1 to remove GIMP
-1 to systemd, unless we switch to fancy hot new kernels

#289 2013-05-24 14:31:51

JWJones
#! Member

I'm wondering what benefit some are seeing as far as moving to systemd? As an option, maybe. As a default, you'll lose me. (Not that this should matter to anyone.)

#290 2013-05-24 14:37:40

anonymous
The Mystery Member

For me the two obvious benefits are : faster boot and shutdown, and no more need for ConsoleKit.

#291 2013-05-24 16:34:11

cliffmiller
#! Member

+1 smxi by default
Seriously, I can't think of a reason why not, it is an awesome tool.

Stop, Dave.
Will you stop, Dave?
Stop, Dave.
I'm afraid.

#292 2013-05-24 20:54:26

ew
#! Die Hard

I see that many of us suggest "systemd", but I saw another that had a very good point. Systemd is only a good thing with new kernels, so the new Janice should be based on +3.6 kernels, otherwise systemd will only slow down boot...., so a big NO to systemd, if Janice will use something as old as 3.2 to 3.4 kernels. That`s to old to benefit from systemd.

- apt-mark hold account

#293 2013-05-24 21:00:32

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@ew:  Patience.  Testing just came out of freeze; remember that it was quite some time before 3.2 became available in Squeeze.  3.8 is currently in Sid; I wouldn't be surprised if 3.8 or newer makes its way into Jessie before the next freeze.

#294 2013-05-25 01:06:29

mTUX
Website

Please, insert the XFCE Mouse & Touchpad App ...... i needed the ON/OF for Touchpad and Trackpoint ..... we talk about .....thxs and greetings ....

mTUX big_smile

#295 2013-05-25 10:16:45

Naik
#! Die Hard

systemd +1

but why thunar? i`m using pcmanfm and loving it! it has tabs and everything and is much smaller and fast IMO.

musikplayer* and Gimp  could both be part cb-welcome.
*maybe by choice?

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#296 2013-05-25 13:27:35

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Is pcmanfm still developed or even supported?

You should check out SpaceFM. It was derived from the fork of pcmanfm-mod by ignorantguru, and is incredible

I dev VSIDO

#297 2013-05-25 13:43:08

Blackout

+1 3.8 kernel
+1 systemd
-1 abiword
-1 gnumeric
+1 musicplayer in welcomescript (none installed per default)

#298 2013-05-25 15:10:26

pheebs

Quick word, I actually love having abiword, gnumeric, gimp, gparted stock (even if i would remove replace them later). I think without those utils, you would lose some of the spirit of #!: minimalism but completely robust. 

As it stands now #! is not only great to install, but that completeness vs. lightweight ratio makes it my favorite livecd as well.

I have used #! for recovering/backing up old windows pcs without network, you never know when you'll want to take a peek at a spreadsheet or word doc while rummaging.

Last edited by pheebs (2013-05-25 15:14:33)

#299 2013-05-25 17:56:33

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

VastOne wrote:

^ Is pcmanfm still developed or even supported?

It is. PCman just released a Qt version (not sure what his reasons are, probably just because he can since LXDE will remain GTK). When I had contact with his last, he said developing was slow since he is currently bound to a Windows PC.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#300 2013-05-26 17:50:31

jon#!

Openbox is fantastic. However, I love it in cahoots with xfce4-panel, which to my massive surprise was just a Run Command away. I went through about a week of installing full xfce, lxde, and various other projects just to get a panel there (tint2 isn't my style), and when I did, everything didn't work/or bloated. I saw this command by mere coincidence, and google/forums search did me no favours on this one. Now, for me, the panel is important -- and maybe others. That #! supports this out of the box is, again, one of the things that make this distro my favourite. But I would pity new users trying the same steps I did, only to find that the answer was exceedingly simple, it was right there in front of me the whole time. That's the main thing I'd like in the welcome script after using #! for these past two weeks; do you want the xfce-panel? Y/n. Editing autostart to replace tint2 with xfce4-panel isn't hard.

"I would site regulation, but I know you would simply ignore it" - Spock

Board footer