SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-24 02:07:31

cliffmiller
#! Member

What made you finally say "ok, I don't need a dual boot anymore"?

For me, it was when I found out Windows was useless for me. I use my computer mostly for internet browsing and anime watching, and the games are play are mostly all ported to Linux anyway.

Stop, Dave.
Will you stop, Dave?
Stop, Dave.
I'm afraid.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-05-24 02:10:21

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Re: What made you finally say "ok, I don't need a dual boot anymore"?

Virtualbox smile

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#3 2013-05-24 02:56:09

intoCB
Scatweasel

Wanted to learn Linux. Knew that being obliged to do everything in it would speed this process up and thought that in any case I could always go back afterwards.

When I tried to return to dual-booting, I encountered unresolvable problems and decided I was much happier on Linux anyway.

Plus a period of poverty taught me always to try to make the best out of a situation and to work with the parameters as they are and not as I would wish them to be.

And the rest is hysteria history.

When Windows perfectly fulfils 100% of it users' aspirations, I will consider it a failing of Linux that it doesn't. Until then, I'm very happy with the OS that is one of the great engines of the Internet revolution.

Last edited by intoCB (2013-05-24 02:56:39)

#4 2013-05-24 03:42:29

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

When I discovered linux (first through Ubuntu) and that it was FREE and then learned more and more about the choices and also the FREE as in FREEDOM, I wanted to completely switch and leave windows behind, but 2 things held me back:

Gaming

Netflix

I dual booted and switched back and forth between a windows install and a linux and once I got dual monitors would run #! in a virtual box on my second monitor and run windows on my main for gaming.

during the time on linux I was able to play alot of my games fine on wine even the ones on steam! And then when they announced finally steam native client for linux, between that and desura, my gaming was solved (I know I know what about directx 10 and 11 only games well thats just as far as I know Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3.)  I also dont havea too much time to play games as much as I want to with 2 little kids one a newborn the other a toddler and my work.  But currently I can play left4dead2 natively on the linux steam client and I got the windows steam client running on wine via playonlinux to play deadisland (big zombie fan!).  I just close one out and start the other one and it doesnt ask for a new code to put in which is awesome!

And as far as netflix I use now netflix-desktop and also have amazon prime and minitube for my video needs.

Just switched from a iphone to a droid razr hd and use airdroid to wirelessly lan to my phone and can drag and drop my music so dont have to worry about itunes crap.

SO now im a 100% windows free and totally free in my computing and loving it!  Now just working on the wife which since Microsoft took gadgets off windows 7 she is pissed (crossing my fingers till she just gets fed up with those controls and changes and the lock ups and freezing slowdown that she will switch to linux, probably zorin OS).

So ya thats my story on that ops

#5 2013-05-24 03:48:22

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

I've never said that, though the fact of the matter is that I've always had trouble dual-booting to work. Never having a need for Windows in the first place, I've always single-booted into Linux big_smile

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#6 2013-05-24 04:14:29

mbemboom
#! CrunchBanger

I wish I could get there but it seems I still run into the occasional snag.  An online college class I am taking now has some videos which require Microsoft Silverlight and some strange Windows Media Player plugins that I have not been able to get working in Linux, even when running the browser I hate most IE under WINE.  I bet there are people here who could help me make it work but it almost seemed easier just to keep my Windows 7 partition.  I do find myself needing Windows less and less though.  I'll do it eventually, and when I do I will be extremely glad.

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. "  - The Dude

#7 2013-05-24 04:36:43

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

It was after my CEH certification.  I was dual-booting up until I had spent enough time learning Unix-based commands to feel comfortable leaving the environment all together.  When it came to actually manipulating data as opposed to just clicking on buttons, Linux-based systems simply destroyed anything else I had previously worked with.  Plus, I became obsessed with actually having direct control over my hardware.

Edit: I still have a M$ Win7 box at the house, though.  It sees infrequent use, but as it's expected for me to be able to deal with problems I don't yet know about...I can't reasonably toss them totally out of my life.   roll

Last edited by DebianJoe (2013-05-24 04:38:45)

#8 2013-05-24 04:46:27

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I saw how sluggish my roommate's PC was running Vista.  Ordered a netbook with Dellbuntu, threw Ubuntu on my old desktop and gave it away to someone with a much older system (came with Win95), let him have the WinXP restore disc that came with it in case he wanted Windows, and never looked back.  (I've never been a heavy gamer though.)

#9 2013-05-24 05:08:26

MekkaGodzilla

I only dual booted to play Guild Wars.
I wiped my Windows install to deal with my GW addiction when I moved in with my girlfriend (now wife)  cool

#10 2013-05-24 05:30:50

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

mbemboom wrote:

I wish I could get there but it seems I still run into the occasional snag.  An online college class I am taking now has some videos which require Microsoft Silverlight and some strange Windows Media Player plugins that I have not been able to get working in Linux, even when running the browser I hate most IE under WINE.  I bet there are people here who could help me make it work but it almost seemed easier just to keep my Windows 7 partition.  I do find myself needing Windows less and less though.  I'll do it eventually, and when I do I will be extremely glad.

If it needs silverlight you can use netflix-desktop and edit the default web address to what you need etc.  I am not for sure about the windows plugin part though.

#11 2013-05-24 05:52:59

cliffmiller
#! Member

th3pun15h3r wrote:

If it needs silverlight you can use netflix-desktop and edit the default web address to what you need etc

Is this guaranteed to work with every silverlight application, though, or is YMMV?

Stop, Dave.
Will you stop, Dave?
Stop, Dave.
I'm afraid.

#12 2013-05-24 08:24:10

fatmac
#! Die Hard

The power of the command line.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#13 2013-05-24 08:34:01

uname
#! Junkie

Stop gaming.

#14 2013-05-24 08:49:55

hashbanger
#! CrunchBanger

What made you finally say "ok, I don't need a dual boot anymore"?

When I found myself leaving my Linux untouched for weeks.

FreeBSD | OpenBSD | Windows. Randomly lurking.
Decentralized #! eD2k/Kad mirror.

#15 2013-05-24 09:47:54

zalew
#! Junkie

never dualbooted

#16 2013-05-24 10:54:23

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

The great Vista filesystem corruption of 2010 or 2009, I'm not sure anymore.

#17 2013-05-24 11:33:56

JWJones
#! Member

Never dual booted, never been a Windows user. I use a Mac all day professionally (commercial printing), and Linux the rest of the time. The family uses an iMac at home, and I use my ThinkPad T61.

#18 2013-05-24 11:38:14

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

cliffmiller wrote:
th3pun15h3r wrote:

If it needs silverlight you can use netflix-desktop and edit the default web address to what you need etc

Is this guaranteed to work with every silverlight application, though, or is YMMV?

I haven't found any other program that I use that requires silverlight to test it but its worth a shot.  After you install netflix-desktop and get it running, start it up and when you get to the homescreen or browser screen hit F10 and go to options and change your webpage to the webpage you need to get to.  If it works let me know and hopefully it does smile

#19 2013-05-24 12:29:58

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

After I spent too much time getting drivers for a laptop- graphics, touchpad WiFi sound USB and card reader...
Install Linux, everything works OOTB!
Now actually I boot more than just two, but they're all Linux.

#20 2013-05-24 19:44:46

Rumpelstiltskin
#! Member

I started my linux life saying 'Ok, I don't need to dual boot anymore', then once I had a more gaming capable gig I started dual booting with windows 7, because not all games in wine work as nice as they do in windows. But that might change soon big_smile

#21 2013-05-24 20:09:28

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

machinebacon wrote:

Virtualbox smile

+1

#22 2013-05-24 21:05:26

Eren
#! Die Hard

When I first installed Linux, I didn't know there's a dual boot option at that time. I think it's 9 years ago. Then I choosed only Linux system. Still using.  devil

#23 2013-05-24 21:14:14

mbemboom
#! CrunchBanger

th3pun15h3r wrote:
mbemboom wrote:

If it needs silverlight you can use netflix-desktop and edit the default web address to what you need etc.  I am not for sure about the windows plugin part though.

When I do that I get a pop up window which says this:

"Missing plug-in
Tegrity Player requires the Windows Media Player plug-in to be installed. The plug-in is used to play the recorded audio and video in your browser.

You must have administrator privileges to install this plug-in.

Installation instructions
1. Download the plug-in by clicking here.
2. Double-click on the downloaded file to install the plug-in.
3. Close all open browsers' windows and restart your browser.
For additional information and support
Windows Media Player - Plug-in.
Tegrity support."

I have then tried several methods to install the plugin they require but always get an error message or just a black screen when trying to watch the video.

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. "  - The Dude

#24 2013-05-24 23:57:32

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I stopped dual booting when my career started to revolve around SSHing into things.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-05-28 19:02:15

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

I haven't been able to say this and probably never will.  I need Windows on at least one laptop for a number of purposes, some of which may be doable under Linux, but I haven't had the time to experiment.  I also prefer a stable Linux install, in my case Waldorf, and a Sid install.  If Sid breaks, I still have an OS that I can boot into.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-05-28 19:12:56)

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

Board footer