SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-27 01:32:46

jaws222

This is just sick!!!!

I just put Waldorf on my Desktop with a quad core processor and 8 gigs of RAM and it is insanely fast!  I'm also running virtual machines through virtualbox and everything is just so smooth!  Openbox is friggin awesome!  This OS ROCKS!!!!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-06-27 05:12:24

vic
#! by Default

Re: This is just sick!!!!

sounds fun, wish I had a quad core, maybe I should upgrade

Time to move on!#

Casual - A nano opera

#3 2013-06-27 06:44:18

pikusinski

You don't really need quad with this awesome OS. But if you need a liiiittle bit of extra juice smile.

#4 2013-06-27 08:55:54

vic
#! by Default

you are right of course, I do not need it, but  big_smile

Time to move on!#

Casual - A nano opera

#5 2013-06-27 09:12:11

pikusinski

Hehe.

There's always a "but"  tongue

#6 2013-06-28 18:05:58

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

pikusinski wrote:

Hehe.

There's always a "but"  tongue

Hey, if you got it - you need it! wink

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#7 2013-07-08 11:37:59

ew
#! Die Hard

vicshrike wrote:

I hear you, I have quad-core myself, but if you don`t already have a ssd, you should upgrade to that first, because there is nothing that will improve the performance like a ssd... That`s the part to change first. CPU and RAM is secondary.

- apt-mark hold account

#8 2013-07-08 12:49:53

vic
#! by Default

@ew; I do have a ssd, but have yet to try #! on it, have been fooling around with some sid stuff, anyway thanks for the tip, now I know what to do when I want to #!  big_smile

Time to move on!#

Casual - A nano opera

#9 2013-07-08 14:23:25

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

I got a old q6600 6gb of ddr2 ram and a gtx 560 ti with a standard 1tb hdd and I love how instant and fast this machine is running waldorf 64 bit!  Not to mention I don't know how to function anymore with out dual monitors tongue.  I also got two different dr. who wallpapers displayed.

#10 2013-07-09 00:45:21

ew
#! Die Hard

vicshrike wrote:

@ew; I do have a ssd, but have yet to try #! on it, have been fooling around with some sid stuff, anyway thanks for the tip, now I know what to do when I want to #!  big_smile

Just wait and see. After you first try #! on a ssd, there is no return. You will not be able to use a regular hdd again. If you in addition use Systemd with Sid, boot is so fast that you will not belive your own eyes, and shutdown is INSTANT. This means that hibernation and swap is totally redundant. You can actually turn the pc completely off every time you put it away, it`s back up again in just a few seconds...

- apt-mark hold account

#11 2013-07-09 19:53:25

spooky
#! Member
Website

ew wrote:
vicshrike wrote:

I hear you, I have quad-core myself, but if you don`t already have a ssd, you should upgrade to that first, because there is nothing that will improve the performance like a ssd... That`s the part to change first. CPU and RAM is secondary.

I agree. Even Vi$ta runs pretty much fast on ssd  ... big_smile  ..believe it or not.

You can't make a baby for one month by making 9 women pregnant.

#12 2013-07-09 21:19:14

ew
#! Die Hard

spooky wrote:
ew wrote:
vicshrike wrote:

I agree. Even Vi$ta runs pretty much fast on ssd  ... big_smile  ..believe it or not.

I belive it. I`m of those that never have had any issue with Vista. I had the hardware-resources to run it, and for me it was an excellent OS, but I never had any issues with ME either, so I`m probably one of few that actually liked what`s supposed to be the two worst Windows-releases. One thing is sure, I would much rather have WinME or Vista, than W8..., which I hate so much that I get physically ill every time I see a commercial with that ugly tiled kindergarden desktop. I just keep thinking of the teletubbies playing with lego. It wouldn`t be possible to create a more ugly gui if you tried:)

- apt-mark hold account

#13 2013-07-09 22:27:20

Iranon
#! Junkie

Vista's main problem was that its teething/driver support issues were only fixed and average hardware had only caught up at about the time the successor became available.
To my knowledge, Vista treats SSDs same as rotating drives by default though - not good for their longevity, some tweaking may be in order if not done already.

As an aside, I actually prefer Windows 8 over earlier versions. Don't care for the new interface (nice overall aesthetic, sloppy execution... and much is redundant on a non-touch desktop). However, better keyboard friendliness is always welcome and decent search-based interaction a big step up given the illogical mess of Windows' configuration options.

I've come to prefer some lightweight interfaces, my main machine is an (albeit ageing) quadcore rig running an Arch with FVWM. No SSD so far - a 10000rpm hard drive, BFQ and dynamic compression (btrfs) seem good enough to address the i/o bottleneck. Quite snappy indeed.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#14 2013-07-09 22:29:44

dkeg
#! Die Hard

anyone using 'sick' in their introduction is a ok in my book.  Welcome, and enjoy the configurating.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#15 2013-07-09 22:38:12

ew
#! Die Hard

Iranon wrote:

As an aside, I actually prefer Windows 8 over earlier versions. Don't care for the new interface (nice overall aesthetic, sloppy execution... and much is redundant on a non-touch desktop). However, better keyboard friendliness is always welcome and decent search-based interaction a big step up given the illogical mess of Windows' configuration options.

I will not argue here. W8 is a excellent OS, the best performing MS-OS to date. But I`m not so trendy that I`ll endure the pain of using touch-screens just because it`s hip and cool. Whats more relaxing, using keyboard/mouse/touchpad, or reaching out to a screen with fatty fingers? Touch is ok on smartphones and useless gadgets like pads, but totally pointless for everything else. If I want to play WII sports, then I`ll do just that...

- apt-mark hold account

#16 2013-07-09 23:15:45

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

for gamers, benchmark wise, windows 8 has slightly higher FPS.  PC Gaming is the only thing that really held me back from going full linux, but now that I have 2 kids...I dont have time to do serious gaming and still be able to watch my Dr. Who with my wife when the kids are in bed.  I loaded the beta of windows 8 on my virtual machine and I just hate how it is 2 different desktops running at the same time.  And I love the choice I get with linux (especially after discovering openbox).  No intention of igniting a M$/Linux Flame War.

#17 2013-07-09 23:41:26

ew
#! Die Hard

Agreed. We`ve already far off topic, which I tend to do a lot  big_smile  Anyway, I don`t hate MS. I have W7 on two pc`s and W8 with start8 on one pc, so I would be the last to critique anyone for using Windows. I just hate Modern-UI. Besides that I have no issues with W8 what so ever, besides the fact that I find it boring and not nearly hackable enough for my taste. It`s just too user-friendly, and MS has done to many choices on my behalf:)

Last edited by ew (2013-07-10 12:12:59)

- apt-mark hold account

#18 2013-07-10 04:45:37

badjman

I agree with Ew, as good as Windows is, not hackable enough. I like to customize a lot of my computer, which I think goes for almost all linux users out there.

Ze Badjman of Nuffin. :3

#19 2013-07-10 05:13:30

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

ADV of my two OS
windows = only games and music through winamp (visualizations are great)
crunchbang = everything except games  cool

#20 2013-07-10 06:54:33

spooky
#! Member
Website

ew wrote:

One thing is sure, I would much rather have WinME or Vista, than W8..., which I hate so much that I get physically ill every time I see a commercial with that ugly tiled kindergarden desktop. I just keep thinking of the teletubbies playing with lego. It wouldn`t be possible to create a more ugly gui if you tried:)

Every letter on it's place. smile

The main reason I made a decision to completely switch to 'Tux logic' is precisely because of that one You mentioned.
I don't even want to repeat it's name .. big_smile

Now, I am using m$Win7 and #! .. dualboot and the only reason why Win7 is still installed on my hard drive is because of Skyrim (I play that thing occasionally) and offcourse.. because of simple must-have-stupid-internet-explorer (just because of webdev) in order to view particular website, how does that website actually renders with - trident ..

Other than that, NOTHING is preventing me to wipe/format that portion of hard drive.  angel
Lucikly, Windows 7 is simply, good. Eats hard drive space like a hungry pig, but works well. Can't deny.
Much better than Vista I would say and pretty much enough stable.

You can't make a baby for one month by making 9 women pregnant.

Board footer