SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#476 2013-06-25 21:34:09

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

anonymous wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

- making testing version aka Janice

Just change the sources to testing?

Would it really be #! then? Would I get updates from CrunchBang i.e. Corenominal repositories, or from debian-testing?

What I meant is: spend resources on out-of-the-box testing-based CrunchBang, and keep it this way (if possible). I understand that Corenominal prefers stable (being a sole maintainer, might be a good reason), but personally I vote for deb-testing.

anonymous wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

- making plans for a wiki: there is vast amount of extremely useful information on the forum; sometimes it might be difficult to find correct and/or up to date info, and good wiki could rectify it.

Well its a wiki; anyone can create an account and go edit it. Feel free to get started on this reorganization. This could even be done without Philip (corenominal).

Is that so? I wrongly assumed wiki is 'closed'? See http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 17#p294117 and below. Or am I looking in 'wrong direction'?

However, I should perhaps rephrase myself: spend some time to think about future wiki maintenance (and not to spend time editing wiki; community should edit wiki, but the problem is apparently how to make this process effective i.e. infos up-to-date. For example, I have some experience with VirtualBox and I could write something about it, but the apparent problem is that I should keep information up-to-date with both new versions of CrunchBang and VirtualBox while it might not be feasible for me for some reason ... and so on).

Last edited by iMBeCil (2013-06-25 21:34:23)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

Be excellent to each other!

#477 2013-06-25 21:39:48

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ That wiki is closed... If I understood corenominal correctly, that particular wiki did not 'fit well' with the new forum design and goals.

I think there are several people who would like to 'spend some time to think about future wiki maintenance' and be involved with it's implementation

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#478 2013-06-25 22:05:01

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

VastOne wrote:

I think there are several people who would like to 'spend some time to think about future wiki maintenance' and be involved with it's implementation

^ I'm sincerely glad they are.

PS. I realize that my original post here might sound like 'bitching about wiki'n'stuff', instead doing something about it (EngRish is not my native language smile ). I assure you and anon (and others) that it was not my intention ... I merely expressed my opinion about future work in CrunchBang and/or Janice.

#479 2013-06-25 22:06:10

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ All is good...  and your opinion is welcomed... smile

I dev VSIDO

#480 2013-06-25 23:53:04

saneks
#! Die Hard

wiki maintenance.. well.. the old one was quite a mess with topics with the same title in different languages.. lots outdated 9.04 stuff and still useful 9.04 stuff.. i think it is good to keep that old stuff, cause lots of suggestions from back then for conky, openbox and tint are still useful.. nowadays I just check the forum for information.. a wikipage with links to most important recurring forum topics and with topics concerning the current release would be ok for me.

when I started with crunchbang, I looked a lot up in the wiki, but due to the language chaos sometimes the information was hard to find.. especially after the turn to debian as a base I hardly went there. - but I am a regular reader on the forum and luckily remember most of the topics I need to search for to solve my problems..

I think we have such a quality forum, we hardly need a wiki. only a good search tool.

Last edited by saneks (2013-06-25 23:54:56)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#481 2013-06-26 04:41:56

ninjadd

An idea that I have is to include more pre-installed hacker type tools. Like backbox linux. It would be great to have tools like arp-scan, knock-scan, theHarvester etc. Also I would like to recommend another media player like rhythmbox or banshee for just music. Another this is if you could replace gFTP for Filezilla.

Another good idea would be to have a nicer defualt icon set. Something simple like elementary icons or faince. Something clean and sharpish.

It's not the biggest deal I love this distro so much. As a web developer it has all I need the above are just some tools that I have to go ahead and install on my own.

Carry on good work.

Thanks a lot.

#482 2013-06-26 04:45:00

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

saneks wrote:

only a good search tool.

Aren't the search engines good enough for that? I didn't had any problems finding the info I wanted trough Google.
And since they were crunchbang related it often lead me anyway to the forums.

#483 2013-06-26 05:10:41

anonymous
The Mystery Member

iMBeCil wrote:

Would it really be #! then? Would I get updates from CrunchBang i.e. Corenominal repositories, or from debian-testing?

I suppose you would receive updates from both. However its possible that some of the CrunchBang packages may end up older than those of Debian testing.

iMBeCil wrote:

Is that so? I wrongly assumed wiki is 'closed'? See http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 17#p294117 and below. Or am I looking in 'wrong direction'?

I have been absent from the forums for some time so I was not aware of that.

#484 2013-06-26 12:38:39

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ These two will be taken care of shortly...

Thank you for the reports...  The spammer has been banned

I dev VSIDO

#485 2013-06-27 04:23:14

Erik
#! CrunchBanger

Ok, this just crossed my mind:

The minimalism of #! is definitely it's strongest asset. Could we make this more insightful to people? (beginners)

For example, I have to google quite often how to do simpl cli tasks, because I don't do them very often. Latest example: 'dd' an iso to an usb stick. Totally forgot how to get the /dev/sdX address of the stick. (Found it on our lovely forum  smile )Would it be possible to create a sort of build in help for those kind of tasks?

A simple link in the menu to a stickied forumpost could already suffice. I'm thinking about mounting / unmounting, listing your hardware, etc. Basically, tasks you need to perform sometimes, but for which a GUI based program is not (standard) available.

#486 2013-06-27 08:13:47

Salad

Erik wrote:

Would it be possible to create a sort of build in help for those kind of tasks?

man <command> and you have all the possible help you could imagine smile
remember it and it could be your best friend.

#487 2013-06-27 08:36:28

uname
#! Junkie

You do not know the man-command. For help use

man man

yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes  yikes

#488 2013-06-27 13:44:37

Erik
#! CrunchBanger

Salad wrote:
Erik wrote:

Would it be possible to create a sort of build in help for those kind of tasks?

That's not really that helpful if you don't know what command could be helfpul to you to accomplish your task...

So, to clarify, I'm more thinking about a task based help than a command based help. E.g., the user wants to find his USB joystick, or something like that. 'man' is not going to help you in that situation.

#489 2013-06-27 13:55:47

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Erik wrote:

That's not really that helpful if you don't know what command could be helfpul to you to accomplish your task...

So, to clarify, I'm more thinking about a task based help than a command based help. E.g., the user wants to find his USB joystick, or something like that. 'man' is not going to help you in that situation.

You can find this on CrunchBang wiki, and this is precisely something which should be located there ...

Incidentally, this is the reason why I think wiki should be one of the cornerstone 'idea for Janice' ... not whether GIMP/AbiWord/SpaceFM/whatever would be included in distro or not ...  neutral

#490 2013-06-27 15:04:47

pidsley
Window Mangler

Erik wrote:

A simple link in the menu to a stickied forumpost could already suffice. I'm thinking about mounting / unmounting, listing your hardware, etc. Basically, tasks you need to perform sometimes, but for which a GUI based program is not (standard) available.

There are many topics like this already on the internet. Use ixquick or your favorite search engine and they are easy to find.

Last edited by pidsley (2013-06-27 15:05:36)

#491 2013-06-27 16:20:43

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Erik wrote:

`apropos`

#492 2013-06-30 17:46:37

defrndr

Default way to control the touchpad. That's something which I loved about Mint/Ubuntu.

#493 2013-07-01 07:19:39

IgNord

+1 for fast dock - the fellas in the office that got me going on #! are restarting when they dock / undock to get their video back.

Got past it by mapping Super-P in Openbox rc.xml like this

<keybind key="W-p">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>Switch screen layout</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>xrandr --auto</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

I'm sure there are better - and more automated ways to have video self heal after a docking event guess some Windows habits die hard

#494 2013-07-01 07:25:04

IgNord

saneks wrote:

wiki maintenance.. well.. the old one was quite a mess with topics with the same title in different languages.. lots outdated 9.04 stuff and still useful 9.04 stuff.. i think it is good to keep that old stuff, cause lots of suggestions from back then for conky, openbox and tint are still useful.. nowadays I just check the forum for information.. a wikipage with links to most important recurring forum topics and with topics concerning the current release would be ok for me.

when I started with crunchbang, I looked a lot up in the wiki, but due to the language chaos sometimes the information was hard to find.. especially after the turn to debian as a base I hardly went there. - but I am a regular reader on the forum and luckily remember most of the topics I need to search for to solve my problems..

I think we have such a quality forum, we hardly need a wiki. only a good search tool.

I'm with you - #! is my first FT Linux and I find answers to my questions on the forum frequently - google pushes me here so often I've just started searching the #! forum first. well done you've built something useful and unique - long live #1

#495 2013-07-01 07:27:44

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

This may have been covered elsewhere but, I couldn't find it.
Google Chrome, America's NSA spy device.

Ah, when installing, let's make a dummy /source.d file we can delete after install as they make their own anyway.
And how about we suck in i386 compatibility with a script and also Google Earth and maybe Skype.
We could even to Google-talk plugin and Oracle VB with a clicky script...

Did I just say NSA spy device???   I meant happy device.  Sorry...

#496 2013-07-01 07:41:45

DreamWeaverM

I think that we should take things back to the basics. #! should be a (even more) simple, yet elegeant distro. When I say this, I mean stripping everything away except for the bare basics (window manager, desktop environment, file manager, etc.). Users should be able to install whatever application they may need. This eliminates the controversy of what applications to have by default and gives the user freedom of choice.

#497 2013-07-01 07:58:34

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

DreamWeaverM wrote:

I think that we should take things back to the basics. #! should be a (even more) simple, yet elegeant distro. When I say this, I mean stripping everything away except for the bare basics (window manager, desktop environment, file manager, etc.). Users should be able to install whatever application they may need. This eliminates the controversy of what applications to have by default and gives the user freedom of choice.

This is IMO something that more distros should do.

#498 2013-07-01 12:06:50

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

Nebucatnetzer wrote:
DreamWeaverM wrote:

This is IMO something that more distros should do.

I totally agree with the both of you.  It might be a better option to do this.
You could say the same of the Drop Box option also...

Maybe we need a switch to have or have NOT... 
Clean menus with just the bare iceweasel and filemanager and maybe ark or
the full monty....

Another thing which I found interesting to talk about is every disto's apparent policy
toward kernels.  I can't name a distro right now which is using the 3.4 kernel.
Even Slackware has chosen to run 3.9.  Debian has chosen to run 3.9.  And the old
parody of using STABLE LTS kernels has vanished in a heartbeat.  Partly due to the
development in ARM, but also partly due to distro's like ARCH or Ubuntu....

Reference:
http://www.slackware.com/changelog/curr … cpu=x86_64

We live in a new era where your Broadcom STA driver is just sucked into your OS
automatically, not installed by hand.  Did everyone notice Debian's new way of doing this.
Just load the kernel and it's supporting software goes right out to Broadcom's site and
installs the driver...  No questions asked...

I would have suggested a Slackware branch of CrunchBang but I see there's a Greek who's
already on to us.  And his KDE distro is advancing,,, the installer is getting better and better.

Reference:
http://www.slackel.gr/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p … w30SL_FW4#!

Everything is getting so kitted anymore. 

Every distro is advancing in capabilities...  Can we say that Crunchbang will be one
to hold on to time???  I really thought Slackware would hold on to time traditions but,,,
as you can see,  WE HAVE A NEW PAT IN THE HOUSE....

#499 2013-07-01 12:49:33

nore
>2^9

Many of us seem to be repeating the "minimalism mantra" over again. Key feature of Crunchbang is not minimalism, it's sane defaults.

DreamWeaverM wrote:

When I say this, I mean stripping everything away except for the bare basics (window manager, desktop environment, file manager, etc.).

File manager does not seem to belong to bare basics, if you read through this thread. If you want to choose and add every application by yourself why not start from Debian netistall? When I boot a new machine with Crunchbang Live stick or a fresh HD install, I know I can start working immediately without going through installing basic applications first, and get online with WLAN or USB dongle without jumping loops. Every app may not be my favorite for its purpose, but I know they work. I can change and add alternatives later if I choose to, but I'm not forced to.

Users should be able to install whatever application they may need.

They should but all can't and others won't. Choosing an appropriate program for a simple task can be exhausting task for a newbie. Experienced users with their wise advices can make it even worse.

Be excellent to each other!

#500 2013-07-01 13:11:15

becker
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Having recently done my own Debian testing netinstall I can vouch for how incredibly simple it is.

I know that I'm an advanced computer user compared to the people I support every day at work for example but when it comes to these forums I would never put myself in that category. Some of the regulars here are above and beyond the level that I"m at. So if you're comfortable installing applications from the command line then you're ready to go it alone with your very own custom linux install.

For the rest of the Crunchbang user base I think the distro is in a great place at the moment. 1 of the nicest things for me coming from Windows and then Ubuntu is the fact it's not bloated. I always refer to the Multimedia submenu as an example there is only 3 programs. A cd/dvd burning app, VLC which plays everything and the obligatory volume control.. We can argue for this or that but by speccing VLC we have a movie player, music player and streaming internet feed player all rolled into one.

So I'm interested to see the direction that Crunchbang goes in I always say it but I owe Pjillip, Crunchbang the distro and #! the community far more than I'll ever be able to give back and I just hope that it continues to grow and to inspire and convert many more people to the wonderful experience that linux has to offer.

pay the bills with Windows, obssesed with Linux, studying CCNA when I can fit it in.

Board footer