SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#526 2013-07-03 13:10:03

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

anonymous wrote:

Didn't we already try this translation thing before? It barely got traction and the forum section for it was eventually archived/removed.

Thanks for the reply...I wasn't aware of this.
Too bad.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#527 2013-07-03 13:45:14

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

crunchbang lacks important image manager shotwell.

Last edited by samdraz (2013-07-04 01:42:34)

#528 2013-07-03 13:50:37

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

ew wrote:
pidsley wrote:
ew wrote:

I did a Debian netinstall myself a few days ago, but I was stupid enough to choose to install "desktop" and "common tools and utilities"

You want "standard system utilities" and nothing else (not "desktop" as you discovered ;-) DebianJoe covered this nicely here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 24#p319124

Thanks. Then I`ll give it another try. Bookmarked DJ`s tutorial, so I`ll read trough it before I start. Probably tomorrow. Now I`m to busy arguing with Lenovo about whitelists:)

When I do a netinstall, I always start from the XFCE menu at the beginning, then pick "desktop". That way, there is no way I will get GNOME. I then install JWM later. smile

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#529 2013-07-03 14:50:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Milozzy wrote:
anonymous wrote:

Didn't we already try this translation thing before? It barely got traction and the forum section for it was eventually archived/removed.

Too bad.

Still, I really don't think a collection of #! l10n packages would be a bad thing.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-07-03 14:51:28)

#530 2013-07-03 15:31:07

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

pvsage wrote:
Milozzy wrote:
anonymous wrote:

Too bad.

Still, I really don't think a collection of #! l10n packages would be a bad thing.

Well, if something similar is going to happen, let me know, I'm willing to help smile

#531 2013-07-03 17:46:24

Nebucatnetzer
#! CrunchBanger
Website

We had a similar situation with our ROM. We then choose crowdin.net to translate all our custom features.
Which works fairly well so far.

#532 2013-07-03 19:09:46

dgz
#! Junkie

samdraz wrote:

crunchbang lacks import image manager shotwell

would be bloat, #! has an image viewer and shotwell is in the repos.

#533 2013-07-03 21:06:10

jon#!

A prettier tint2 ootb would be nice. This one has the icons all messed up, imo. Just take a look at Chromium.

"I would site regulation, but I know you would simply ignore it" - Spock

#534 2013-07-03 21:53:40

Naik
#! Die Hard

Milozzy wrote:
pvsage wrote:
Milozzy wrote:

Too bad.

Well, if something similar is going to happen, let me know, I'm willing to help smile

I`d like to help too (if german and elbish are of any intrest) it would be no big deal because i allready translated the menu and cb-exit for my wife...  wink

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#535 2013-07-03 21:57:21

ew
#! Die Hard

dgz wrote:
samdraz wrote:

Agreed. But the same applies to VLC. GMPlayer would be a more sensible choice.

- apt-mark hold account

#536 2013-07-03 22:04:54

ew
#! Die Hard

bigbenaugust wrote:
ew wrote:
pidsley wrote:

You want "standard system utilities" and nothing else (not "desktop" as you discovered ;-) DebianJoe covered this nicely here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 24#p319124

Thanks. Then I`ll give it another try. Bookmarked DJ`s tutorial, so I`ll read trough it before I start. Probably tomorrow. Now I`m to busy arguing with Lenovo about whitelists:)

When I do a netinstall, I always start from the XFCE menu at the beginning, then pick "desktop". That way, there is no way I will get GNOME. I then install JWM later. smile

XFCE menu? There is no XFCE menu on my netinstall-cd, and I wouldn`t want to install it either...

- apt-mark hold account

#537 2013-07-03 22:07:15

ew
#! Die Hard

jon#! wrote:

A prettier tint2 ootb would be nice. This one has the icons all messed up, imo. Just take a look at Chromium.

What do you mean by messed up icons? Nothing wrong with Chromium...

- apt-mark hold account

#538 2013-07-03 22:21:26

ew
#! Die Hard

Milozzy wrote:

There's one thing that could be improve imho, from the final/causal user point of view. In fact, I see more and more "non technical" people that use and find CB really comfortable, the kind of people that are not interested about systemd, upstart or sysvinit (be aware that I don't say that they are not important, just changing the point of view)

I'm talking about translation. I can choose whatever localization I want during the installation process, but in the end the CB right click menu will always be in English. This could be a show stopper for some non-English people. Why don't we organize some sort of a translation team to localize the openbox menu.xml and maybe cb-welcome? After that, cb-welcome could offer as his first choise the option to change language.

Translating menu and cb-welcome isn't a big deal, I think, just few lines...Small effort -> great advange imho.

I could take care of the Italian translation, of course.

What do you think, guys?

Why use native languages when almost all documentation is in english?

- apt-mark hold account

#539 2013-07-03 23:33:10

anonymous
The Mystery Member

ew wrote:
dgz wrote:
samdraz wrote:

Do you mean GMPlayer as in mplayer's builtin GUI? Its so bad that the mplayer2 devs removed it from their fork. Gnome-mplayer and SMPlayer are better and actively developed. That said, whats wrong with VLC?

#540 2013-07-03 23:54:37

ew
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:
ew wrote:
dgz wrote:

Do you mean GMPlayer as in mplayer's builtin GUI? Its so bad that the mplayer2 devs removed it from their fork. Gnome-mplayer and SMPlayer are better and actively developed. That said, whats wrong with VLC?

Sorry, I meant Gnome-mplayer, which is quite sufficient for most users. Nothing wrong with VLC, it`s just a bit of overkill. I suppose that it`s a very small minority that uses their Crunchbang-system as the main multimedia-center. Most of us just watch an youtube-video now and then, and a few small flash-videos. Funny clips and stuff like that...

With the new Smart TV`s, having a laptop or htpc in between are starting to become redundant... We watch dvd`s, videos and are streaming youtube and netflix directly on our television-systems.The need for a full-fledged mediaplayer on a pc has decreased, and will continue to diminish...

- apt-mark hold account

#541 2013-07-04 01:25:46

annoyingbeggar
#! Junkie

anonymous wrote:

That said, whats wrong with VLC?

It runs poorly on slower machines. I don't often watch videos on my netbook but it's nice to be able to when I have to and it's impossible with VLC. I imagine there are folks who use slower computers as their main systems who would like to at least have the option.

“I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the other person. I have a lot to learn from other people.” - Eduardo Hughes Galeano

#542 2013-07-04 01:46:50

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

ew wrote:
dgz wrote:
samdraz wrote:

crunchbang lacks important image manager shotwell

Viewnor is fast to open image but it lack mangement which shotwell strives
Agreed VLC is better than other player for #!. but still it keeps conflicing with volume control.

Last edited by samdraz (2013-07-04 01:47:06)

#543 2013-07-04 01:57:17

JCChristian

UEFI-Ready. Most distros nowadays, even the non-popular ones, let you use GRUB(2) UEFI for bootloader out-of-the-box!

Last edited by JCChristian (2013-07-04 02:02:37)

XPS14 | #! Waldorf x64
NP9370 | W8.1 Enterprise x64

#544 2013-07-04 02:42:23

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

JCChristian wrote:

UEFI-Ready. Most distros nowadays, even the non-popular ones, let you use GRUB(2) UEFI for bootloader out-of-the-box!

I thought this was in Debian Wheezy already, but should definitely be in Jessie, so #! should get that for free.

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#545 2013-07-04 04:51:37

pvsage
Internal Affairs

ew wrote:

By "documentation", do you mean the forums or the man pages?  Because I may be mistaken, but doesn't the man database also have l10n packages?

#546 2013-07-04 05:58:21

nore
>2^9

ew wrote:

Ew, Milozzy wished only that we could share our own openbox menu translations. We could easily do that in a separate thread.
All my CB setups have several users and I always translate menus for them and myself, for consistency and comfort.

#547 2013-07-04 07:25:54

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

nore wrote:
ew wrote:

Ew, Milozzy wished only that we could share our own openbox menu translations. We could easily do that in a separate thread.
All my CB setups have several users and I always translate menus for them and myself, for consistency and comfort.

Indeed, the reasons are exactly consistency and comfort.
There are two kind of newbies that I know and that I have pushed using CB:

- The ones that can't understand English (and would eventually call me to fix their problem because they cannot understand the manuals)
- The ones that can understand English and can read the manuals when they've got a problem/need, but on a daily usage prefer to have all their systems with their native language.

At the moment, without manual adjustement, you can have all the system, all the menus, all localized. Except for openbox-menu. Maybe English people can't really see the problem...but from a non-technical, non-English point of view, this could be see as a flaw of the distro, and knowning instead how CB is good about details, this is a real pity.

TL;DR it's not a big problem, but just a matter of details to make CB even more perfect to the eyes of more and more people smile

#548 2013-07-04 07:44:26

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Forget the whole Debian thing and use a real distro for a base.

#549 2013-07-04 09:04:49

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@DebianJoe:  We are never sure when thou pullest our leg.

Be excellent to each other!

#550 2013-07-04 10:33:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Milozzy wrote:

At the moment, without manual adjustement, you can have all the system, all the menus, all localized. Except for openbox-menu. Maybe English people can't really see the problem...but from a non-technical, non-English point of view, this could be see as a flaw of the distro, and knowning instead how CB is good about details, this is a real pity.

Agreed. The right-click menu in English stands out like a sore thumb when nearly everything else has been localized. Without getting into sophisticated localization systems, maybe just for the menu, and possibly cb-welcome, it might not be too hard to maintain localized versions. Of course, the same team of volunteers would have to be at hand to update their respective files every time Philip put out a new version...

Maybe a series of localization packs in the repo, like those for Iceweasel? "cb-files-ja", "cb-files-it" or whatever. Something that, on installation, would overwrite menu.xml with the translated version, and put it back on uninstall? Version numbers and dependencies could make sure only up-to-date files were installable. More work though.

John     Please help us keep your forums manageable.   Don't Break Debian
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

Board footer