SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-06-20 22:15:00

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Re: Uh, did anyone try the latest linux mint release?

johnraff wrote:

(For example, the Mint upgrade process doesn't coexist with apt-get.)

Can you elaborate, to rescue me from stepping on any landmines when I try to update with apt-get?

/hugged

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-06-21 16:29:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^apparently they don't recommend using apt-get to upgrade, but to use the Mint application instead. There are some special Mint apps in the Mint repos which are supposed to handle things or something...

I only played with Mint for a few hours but did notice that when I did an apt-get upgrade a number of packages were brought in that the Mint upgrader hadn't touched. Whether they'd have caused trouble down the line I don't know. There's also the question of whether this is about general package upgrades or dist-upgrades which, of course on Ubuntu, are something to look forward to every six months.

Anyway, according to Fab of the Linux Outlaws, Mint 15 is now supposed to be OK with using apt-get, though still only recommended for "advanced" users.

My general point is that while I admire what they've achieved with the Mint interface, there are still some irregularities which, while perhaps easily solved after a quick Google, might cause a new user some wasted hours and frustration. (Casting my mind back to Win98 days...) Predictability is perhaps even more important than having things made "easy", at least for some people.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#28 2013-06-21 21:41:30

snowpine
#!-a-roo

I didn't even know there was a mint updater, I've been carrying over my apt-get habit from Debian. I'll be on the lookout for any weird packages, thanks for the tip. smile

/hugged

#29 2013-06-21 21:48:09

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

johnraff wrote:

Still, have to give respect to the Mint team for what they have achieved.

Agreed. My daughter is a Linux Mint user (she bailed on Ubuntu due to Unity), and she seems to like it a lot. I look over her shoulder from time to time, but she seems to have everything under control, so it's fairly user friendly.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#30 2013-06-21 22:03:31

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

I use to use the last linux mint lxde.  Whatever happened to lxde?

#31 2013-06-21 22:14:44

pidsley
Window Mangler

th3pun15h3r wrote:

If you really mean "what happened to LXDE" -- nothing. They are still around, and it's a very useful DE (IMO). http://www.lxde.org/

If you mean "what happened to Mint LXDE" -- afaik, they have not released a Mint LXDE version since v9. They have gone in a different direction. There are still plenty of really good Ubuntu-based LXDE distros out there.

#32 2013-06-22 00:40:49

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

th3pun15h3r wrote:

You could give lxle (Lubuntu Extra Life Extension) a try, I'm using it right now and it is a mighty fine lubuntu based distro.

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#33 2013-06-22 03:11:07

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

nebulaehair wrote:
th3pun15h3r wrote:

You could give lxle (Lubuntu Extra Life Extension) a try, I'm using it right now and it is a mighty fine lubuntu based distro.

I did download that iso cause I was curious about the aero snap feature, is that only keybind or do you do it with the mouse on it?

#34 2013-06-22 03:53:00

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

th3pun15h3r wrote:
nebulaehair wrote:
th3pun15h3r wrote:

I did download that iso cause I was curious about the aero snap feature, is that only keybind or do you do it with the mouse on it?

To be honest I can't really say much about LXLE, I've only used it for a couple of days maybe after I use it some more I may find and answer for you, until then I've got nothing....

- Coheed and Cambria.

#35 2013-07-03 06:46:30

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

I gotta say Linux Mint 15 is a fine fine distro.

- Coheed and Cambria.

#36 2013-07-03 08:15:08

gebbeth

Fiddled around with Mint 15 last night out of curiosity, being a former mint user. Like the the name sez: t'was proppa mint. Everything worked out of the box with zero effort. I think the appeal of Mint boils down to a matter of personal taste/preferences. The dealbreaker for me is how overweight i experience Mint to be. When i install a distro, i only wanna do 2 things really:

1. Install the apps i need

2. Tweak the interface to suit my taste

With Mint, i find myself spending an ridiculous amount of time going through the system & purging things i didn't want installed to begin with. The GUI doesn't really matter since to me, it's a matter of modding. I'm not a big fan of either Mate or Cinnamon but luckily there's an xfce edition. Crunchbang is by default already 90% adapted to my taste. To summarize:
>6/10
>would not install
>(at least not as my main os)

#37 2013-07-03 19:11:44

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

gebbeth wrote:

Fiddled around with Mint 15 last night out of curiosity, being a former mint user. Like the the name sez: t'was proppa mint. Everything worked out of the box with zero effort. I think the appeal of Mint boils down to a matter of personal taste/preferences. The dealbreaker for me is how overweight i experience Mint to be. When i install a distro, i only wanna do 2 things really:

1. Install the apps i need

2. Tweak the interface to suit my taste

With Mint, i find myself spending an ridiculous amount of time going through the system & purging things i didn't want installed to begin with. The GUI doesn't really matter since to me, it's a matter of modding. I'm not a big fan of either Mate or Cinnamon but luckily there's an xfce edition. Crunchbang is by default already 90% adapted to my taste. To summarize:
>6/10
>would not install
>(at least not as my main os)

True that. Half of what I was doing was actually AFTER the installation. I was purging so many stuff I don't really need and I started thinking how easy crunchbang is to just do it yourself and get what you want and be done with it. I gotta give it to them though, the linux mint team has come up with a pretty stable distro for what it is. People looking for something that just works out of the box and have never used linux before should pick up linux mint as their first go-to linux experience.  For me though each distro I pick just SCREAMS "go back to crunchbang". I used linux mint 15 for a few days but just couldn't stand the whole "i'm gonna dumb it down for you" process. The thing that bothers me about linux mint is that it never recognizes my wireless whereas in crunchbang everything works out of the box.

I don't really hate linux mint don't get me wrong. It's just not my thing. I don't like ubuntu either people who say that "debian sucks" are people who haven't really used it. You just have to know your way around things. Debian is pretty damn stable and there's a reason for it being that way. That's one of the main reasons why I keep using #!, because it is debian-based.

Edit: So i've installed Linux Mint 15 one last time and it's awesome. The only thing that bothers me is that crunchbang linux recognizes my wifi out of the box whereas with Linux Mint I've always had to do a run around the issue thing that works great in the end. That said I wouldn't give it a 10 out of 10 grade. Other users have spotted some bugs as well but Linux Mint, nevertheless is going through the right direction. Might even call it my second favorite distro (first one being #! of course).

Edit: Nope. Not my second favorite distro at all. Pretty hooked with SolydXK & Kwheezy for now. Distrohopping is fun.

Last edited by nebulaehair (2013-11-23 01:48:57)

- Coheed and Cambria.

#38 2013-11-22 20:50:03

Nili
#! Die Hard
Website

I left Linux Mint for good, used version 14 and 15 initially thought it was everything that i needed, from a guy passed from Ubuntu 12.04 to Linux Mint it seems that I found paradise lol.
What bothered me "Always" boot load, damn 20 to 30sec loading the system.
My old Dell 330 optiplex always stay 5% in use a Dual-Core (not old not new) but this 5% usage only system was irritating vain. I came here for conky like anybody alse playing with conky is fun, at the beginning didn't know #! was os, sorry for my ignorance, i discovered this website only for conky and spend time with.
When I began to see more than conky. Just looking at screenshots I realized that Linux Mint was not for me anymore.
So installed #! >>> What a changes 5 to 7sec boot loading CPU1: 0.1% - CPU2: 1% Really a radical change. For one thing i must be proud for OS (Linux Mint) that served me as a springboard for jumping to #!

Bye bye Linux Mint.

# Debian GNU/Linux 8.1 jessie (netinst/stable)
# Packages Installed: 555
# Linux kernel 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u3 (2015-08-04) i686 GNU/Linux
# Startup finished in 2.850s (kernel) + 6.473s (userspace) = 9.324s

#39 2013-11-23 01:46:25

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

excollier wrote:

At the end of the day, if you can use Mint to wean someone off Windows, then it is doing linux a great service, and most linux newbies just want something that works if they are to be convinced not to shell out for Windows 8. That can only be a good thing, surely.
Anyway, as I said, I am distro neutral and they all suit someone, that's why I keep a quin boot computer, I just like all of them.

I agree with you though, points to whichever linux distro can pull a window$ user away from window$

- Coheed and Cambria.

#40 2013-11-23 03:42:52

coffee_guy

I'm a pretty big fan of Mint 15 with the Mate desktop.  I have used LMDE and the straight up Ubuntu derivative between my work computer, desktop, and laptops.  I have had a few slight annoyances here and there but nothing major.  Mostly, after cutting my teeth with Mint, I installed CrunchBang on my my ThinkPad and I've now got it installed on an extra hard drive on my desktop.  So yeah, all and all, it is a very nice OS to get off of Windows or for anyone who just wants to get some work done and doesn't care to tweak things too much.

#41 2013-11-23 11:35:57

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Definitely can't say I agree with everything in this link but it's food for thought: http://www.muktware.com/2013/11/linux-m … stem/16537

Edit: And a response: http://www.muktware.com/2013/11/linux-m … cure/16558

Last edited by mynis01 (2013-11-23 11:51:28)

#42 2013-11-23 17:12:09

Tovarich Volk

I have not, but I usually install the LTS version of Mint on computers when the owner of the system completely wankers their Windows install, and they have no recovery partition/install disk, because it's probably the easiest intro to Linux there is. Those 'crowded streets with hige neon signs' are what new users need. --I would never stick #!, Slackware, or Gentoo on a Newbie's computer because they would be dead in the water with any of them.

#43 2013-11-23 17:37:34

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Tovarich Volk wrote:

I would never stick #!, Slackware, or Gentoo on a Newbie's computer because they would be dead in the water with any of them.

Not necessarily true. On too many occasions, some Linux users tend to treat non-Linux users as complete morons who, by some fantastic miracle, find a way to feed and dress themselves every day. I like to give people more credit. What it boils down to is a.) how smart a user is, and b.) how willing a user is to learn something new and maintain their systems. Many will not want to do this because they see their hardware as a toy or an appliance -- and Linux Mint and others might suit them -- but some will see their hardware as a tool with which they can do great things.

This is where Linux excels -- with the ones that want to do something with their hardware, rather than just look at pictures of cats.

So Gentoo for newbs? No. Slackware? Maybe. But CrunchBang, definitely -- getting used to Openbox is easy and many of the hurdles that sometimes pop up are easily cleared for those with an average IQ.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#44 2013-11-23 18:00:54

damo
#! gimpbanger

Tovarich Volk wrote:

Those 'crowded streets with hige neon signs' are what new users need. --I would never stick #!, Slackware, or Gentoo on a Newbie's computer because they would be dead in the water with any of them.

Agree with Larry here; and "crowded streets" aren't what new users NEED, it's what they are expecting. If they had been brought up using a nice friendly linux distro (crunchbang w/openbox for example wink ), then they may be "dead in the water" with windoze instead - expensive, difficult to maintain, do-it-M$-way-or-else.

Mint is my go-to distro for introducing dubious windoze users to an alternative

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#45 2013-11-23 19:27:32

mbemboom
#! CrunchBanger

In addition to Crunchbang and Bodhi on two older laptops,  we are also running Mint 15 KDE on a desktop with moderate hardware. It looks and works very nicely, I think it is a pretty solid distribution. The forums on the other hand have absolutely no chance in comparison to Crunchbang.

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. "  - The Dude

#46 2013-11-23 21:56:19

saneks
#! Die Hard

I looked at so many distros, but mint and crunchbang are the two that I install on friends' systems.. mint for those who like icons and easy configs, crunchbang for those with low-spec hardware and that are interested about the system..

have downloaded the latest RC of mint, and what can I say..? - it's mint. as always. no matter which DE you choose, no matter if ubuntu or debian base, it is all the same thing. it works. as always that ugly wallpaper, everything works as expected. not much to do. some might think that's boring, but it is nice to know you can always come back to mint to put it on any ex-windows user's PC.. that's what it is designed for IMO. good we have mint. so we don't have to spend too much time maintaining our friends' computers.

Last edited by saneks (2013-11-23 22:01:36)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

Board footer