SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-02 23:06:54

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Unofficial CrunchBang Wiki?

I'm not sure of the reason for the disabling (editing) of the CrunchBang Wiki, but I definitely think we need one that can be updated.  What does everyone think about starting an unofficial CrunchBang Wiki?

07/02/2013-01 Edit:  Unofficial meaning not part of the CrunchBang site.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-07-02 23:17:19)

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-03 02:19:30

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

Re: Unofficial CrunchBang Wiki?

I might be able to make this happen... sounds like a really fun project, actually.

#3 2013-07-03 04:13:35

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

I think it would be a good idea to wait and get more feedback before proceeding.  Again, I know very little about why editing the official Wiki has been disabled.

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

#4 2013-07-03 04:21:20

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ It is a corenominal decision that has been discussed at length on several threads here on the forums

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#5 2013-07-03 04:27:13

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

Perhaps you should focus your time and energies on official channels? I am not clear on the reason for the wiki disabling (new site move-over + forum focus?), but you may want to see this thread.

edit: update link

Last edited by kbmonkey (2013-07-03 04:30:25)

#6 2013-07-03 04:31:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

This could be a way out of the impasse.
Transferring all the still-valid data from the current wiki would be a major job though...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#7 2013-07-03 05:00:47

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:

Transferring all the still-valid data from the current wiki would be a major job though...

I bet we have more than one talented community member who could probably do the transfer automagically.

Linux User #586672

#8 2013-07-03 05:09:35

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

kbmonkey wrote:

Perhaps you should focus your time and energies on official channels? I am not clear on the reason for the wiki disabling (new site move-over + forum focus?), but you may want to see this thread.

edit: update link

Hmmm...I didn't see that thread.  I don't agree that using the forums is a good replacement for a Wiki, though.  Unless a "how-to" is stickied, then it can end up getting buried and only discovered via search, and then only if you search on the right term(s).  I also hate having to sift through all of the responses to glean additional info, if any.  I agree with your response "Wikis are good for centralizing answers, and forums are good for talk around a topic." here:  http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 34#p319334

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-07-03 05:11:40)

Linux User #586672

#9 2013-07-03 05:26:33

pvsage
Internal Affairs

KrunchTime wrote:
johnraff wrote:

I bet we have more than one talented community member who could probably do the transfer automagically.

Blaow:  http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/dow … -site-wget

EDIT:  ...then, of course, start weeding out all the deprecated content...

Last edited by pvsage (2013-07-03 05:28:16)

#10 2013-07-03 05:35:39

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

KrunchTime wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Or we can request a database dump of the wiki from corenominal? smile

Last edited by kbmonkey (2013-07-03 05:35:52)

#11 2013-07-03 08:39:14

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Suggested Wiki software/platform:  https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki

Tutorial on making a personal wiki using DokuWiki (might have some info for non-personal wiki):  http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials/ma … h-dokuwiki

Linux User #586672

#12 2013-07-03 09:40:12

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

I strongly support idea of new wiki (against info on forum) ... Despite possible problems with wiki approach, I think that this is the way to go.

As for the DokuWiki suggested above, I would like to point out that this software is a bit too simplified, in the sense that it does not use mysql (i.e. underlying database), but it stores its data in plain text-files. In other words, DokuWiki accesses and manipulates its contents via its own database backend, essentially written within the PHP environment.

While it is OK for low traffic sites (I administer one small DokuWiki, and I like it; it is perfect for my needs), I would suggest a bit more advanced wiki (with mysql/postgresql/whatever database), since I foresee that this will be heavy traffic wiki with lots of visits and edits.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#13 2013-07-03 11:30:05

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

VastOne wrote:

^ It is a corenominal decision that has been discussed at length on several threads here on the forums

as far as I can tell from skimming those threads the corenominal decision was that he doesn't know what to do with it anymore... the only thing you really need is a maintenance team - and I'm pretty sure you'll find these here - no need to start an unofficial one when the official is in perfectly good state as it is... it just needs updating... and yeah it'll take a lot of time... but *I think* there are a lot of people willing to help here... I mean - the forums are fun as it is... but stuff gets fixed and gets forgotten - search results on the forum give you plenty of options and in the end we're all pointing towards a single thread...

either way - if you need help - I would love to...

playtime's over - shit just got real

#14 2013-07-03 16:54:24

jotapesse
#! Junkie

^I believe that the old wiki lack of maintenance and a generally more forum focused community, where how to's and tips are daily discussed and updated, were a key part on corenominal's decision on suspending crunchbang's wiki. So unless the community strives for a good wiki, there is no reason to reactivate it. I guess.

Having that said, although I don't use it (the distro), I find the Arch Linux wiki to be one of the most informative and useful and I find myself reading it quite frequently. That could be a wiki to look up to if Crunchbang's wiki is to take off.

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

#15 2013-07-03 17:04:41

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

arcum wrote:
VastOne wrote:

as far as I can tell from skimming those threads the corenominal decision was that he doesn't know what to do with it anymore... the only thing you really need is a maintenance team - and I'm pretty sure you'll find these here - no need to start an unofficial one when the official is in perfectly good state as it is... it just needs updating... and yeah it'll take a lot of time... but *I think* there are a lot of people willing to help here... I mean - the forums are fun as it is... but stuff gets fixed and gets forgotten - search results on the forum give you plenty of options and in the end we're all pointing towards a single thread...

either way - if you need help - I would love to...

johnraff and I discussed this both in that thread and in a PM dialogue... The fine line is that corenominal made the decision about the previous wiki, and holds the key about how he wants the new wiki to look and more importantly fit with this forum

Without trying to put too much pressure on corenominal, I think the decision needs to must come from him one way or another... He does not have to lead the charge (IMO), just bless the charge and then it can begin

I dev VSIDO

#16 2013-07-03 17:05:36

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

@jotapesse, I agree... The ArchWiki is as good as it gets

I dev VSIDO

#17 2013-07-03 19:29:48

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:

But Arch is not CrunchBang/Debian.  I'm sure you can glean some useful info from it, but in the end I think a Wiki dedicated to the CrunchBang distro would be best; just my humble opinion.

Linux User #586672

#18 2013-07-03 19:31:17

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

arcum wrote:

but stuff gets fixed and gets forgotten - search results on the forum give you plenty of options and in the end we're all pointing towards a single thread...

Very well said.

Linux User #586672

#19 2013-07-03 20:19:38

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

KrunchTime wrote:
VastOne wrote:

But Arch is not CrunchBang/Debian.  I'm sure you can glean some useful info from it, but in the end I think a Wiki dedicated to the CrunchBang distro would be best; just my humble opinion.

I was saying more in style, setup and upkeep... not necessarily content.  The keepers of that wiki do a phenomenal job IMO and a new CrunchBang/Debian wiki could benefit a lot by following a proven winner in style and methodology

I dev VSIDO

#20 2013-07-03 21:36:35

jotapesse
#! Junkie

VastOne wrote:

I was saying more in style, setup and upkeep... not necessarily content.  The keepers of that wiki do a phenomenal job IMO and a new CrunchBang/Debian wiki could benefit a lot by following a proven winner in style and methodology

Yes, I agree, but also the content. Arch has one of the most valid, useful (to some extent even to non-Arch users) and up to date content. Crunchbang's wiki should strive to be even better!

Last edited by jotapesse (2013-07-04 10:13:09)

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

#21 2013-07-04 10:10:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

VastOne wrote:

The ArchWiki is as good as it gets... more in style, setup and upkeep... not necessarily content.  The keepers of that wiki do a phenomenal job IMO and a new CrunchBang/Debian wiki could benefit a lot by following a proven winner in style and methodology

Yes indeed. If a new #! wiki did start moving, maybe any members who have friends/contacts connected with the Arch wiki could get some advice from them.  cool

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#22 2013-07-04 15:50:34

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

VastOne wrote:

The keepers of that wiki do a phenomenal job IMO and a new CrunchBang/Debian wiki could benefit a lot by following a proven winner in style and methodology

That + the upgrade to "pacman -S arch-wiki-docs" (apt-get install cb-wiki) adding searchable offline wiki clone.

notes (ways to do offline version);
https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:dokukiwix
https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:epub

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2013-07-07 14:28:12)

#23 2013-07-06 01:44:39

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

I'd be happy to do this, if I can get corenominal's blessing.

I have two big questions, though:

• What is the estimated monthly transfer/bandwidth?

• What is the estimated usage of disk space, including images/screenshots?

#24 2013-07-06 22:42:31

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

So should I go ahead and set this up?

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-07-07 12:51:15

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

I enjoy your enthusiasm antiv0rtex. Official or not I approve, but feel we need more backing in terms of maintainers or awareness for it to blossom. As VastOne said, we need a similar winning methodology - It needs the same frequency of eyes that the forums receive.

Board footer