SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-03 19:23:21

bepfranco

Crunchbang not present in GRUB

Hi! First at all, sorry for my English.. I appreaciate your reading..
I've Installed the stable version of Crunchbang and did a little modifications (such as changing openbox and installing xfce, uninstalled unnecesary things and idk what else) and it worked very nice.. until I tried to install Windows XP in the partition of the beggining of the disk.
The installation was sucessful but then I've got a few problems when installing GRUB.. First in the live-USB there wasn't the grub-installer package (I've to dowload it) And when I could download it (I know I'm a n00b) I've installed it on the partition of Crunchbang and not the beggining of the disk ('cause when I tried, I wasn't able).
In the end, I finnaly could install grub in the disk and only appears the Windows entry (and there's no crunchbang or memtest present)
Again, sorry for my n00bness and my low English skills. Thanks! smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-03 19:24:30

bepfranco

Re: Crunchbang not present in GRUB

(the question is: Is there a way to recover Crunchbang? In the live-usb the partition appears and I can see it's data)

#3 2013-07-03 19:44:50

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

I don't know how to undo what you did, but I wanted to pass along a tip for your future dual-booting endeavors when it involves Windows.  Windows should ALWAYS be installed first, otherwise the results are what happened in your case.

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

#4 2013-07-04 06:59:06

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Boot from live media and chroot into the #! install on your HD.
Install grub to the mbr while in the chroot environment.
See this post for detailed instructions.

Board footer