SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-19 08:35:28

Microcord
#! Member

Inability to boot off USB

I installed Waldorf on two machines a couple of weeks ago. Fine. Today, time for no. 3.

It's an "HP Mini 5102", perhaps three years old. A year or so ago I installed Statler on it, from either a USB stick or an SD card (I now forget). I don't remember having had problems then. (Two years ago, wireless problems. But last year, fine.) Today I tried with the same USB stick I'd used in the newer of the two machines a couple of weeks back. (Like the SD card I mention below, this was prepared in the approved way (i.e. via dd).) Plugged in the USB stick, rebooted the computer, pounced on the Esc key for the Startup Menu.

I think that even before I hit Esc, the diode in the USB stick starts to flash furiously. Anyway, it keeps on flashing, as I continue to see the HP logo and "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu". After a couple of minutes, the rate of flashing slows down, to perhaps twice a second. But it keeps on flashing, and I keep being invited to press the ESC key. (Unsurprisingly, hitting it a second time doesn't help.)

There's nothing wrong with the USB stick, or anyway nothing that computer no. 4 notices. This boots off it happily enough, for a live Waldorf session.

The HP Mini has three USB sockets. All the same.

It also has an SD reader. Attempting to boot off a Crunchbang SD card is the same, except that there's no diode to flash.

The HP Mini's battery is weak (and the computer seems perversely designed to make fingerprints look as conspicuous and disgusting as possible), but otherwise the machine is trouble-free. Among my (admittedly cut-price) computers, it's the one I'd least expect to go cranky on me.

I wondered what would happen if I booted without any USB device containing Crunchbang and instead with a regular USB memory stick plugged in. Interesting! I hit ESC, and after only a very little flashing of the USB stick's diode I was given the expected menu. I took F9 for boot options, and was given the option of booting off the HD or of booting off this (of course systemless) Toshiba USB thing. Thinking "No, it can't be this easy", I removed the Crunchbang-free Toshiba memory stick and replaced it with my bootable (on other computers) Sony memory stick. No error message, splendid splendid. But no, I was now unable to select the "Toshiba" option.

The HP Mini doesn't have a DVD (or CD) drive. I suppose I could think of somebody who'd lend me an external one for an afternoon; but this would be another USB device so I'd guess that the system wouldn't like it either.

What have I stupidly overlooked, or what other options do I have?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-03-19 08:44:20

Microcord
#! Member

Re: Inability to boot off USB

Face turns beetroot colour. . . .

The USB whatnots have the AMD64 version of Crunchbang on them. However, HP's page "HP Notebook PCs - Models Supporting Windows 7" only gives "32-bit" options.

Hewlett-Packard wrote:

1. How does the information on this page help you?
   very helpful / somewhat helpful / not helpful

Yes, I gave them "very helpful" feedback. I'd have said "extremely helpful", if they'd only said whether the computer was (A) a "Modern PC" or (B) an "Older PC (non PAE)" -- the question one's asked when about to download Crunchbang 32. I've never heard of "PAE", and the Wikipedia article on it gives me a headache. This poor old thing -- "Intel Atom N450 Processor (1.66-GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)", says HP -- has a limit of a humble 2GB of RAM, so as I (mis)understand it PAE would be unusable even if available, and so I might as well say "Older PC (non PAE)", amirite?

Last edited by Microcord (2013-03-19 09:06:14)

#3 2013-03-19 09:57:23

Microcord
#! Member

Nope, it's not (only) a 32/64-bit problem.

I turn off the machine, I put in an SD card with "Older PC (non PAE)" 32-bit Waldorf, I turn the machine on, I see "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu", I hit ESC, I continue to read "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu". Nothing happens.

#4 2013-03-19 10:34:41

uname
#! Junkie

You can install Crunchbang with debian netinstall. Perhaps it works.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/netinstall

Perhaps you must change it from Statler to Waldorf.

Last edited by uname (2013-03-19 10:35:39)

#5 2013-03-19 11:21:35

fatmac
#! Die Hard

What happens if you just press F9 at start up?

(Switch off, plug in pendrive, start netbook, press F9, select usb booting.)

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#6 2013-03-19 12:19:10

Microcord
#! Member

Thank you both, uname and fatmac.

Netinstall sounds like a possibility. I'll bear it in mind.

F9 doesn't work.

I thought I'd try a different distro, for diagnostic purposes -- and well, if I'm really impressed, I might retain that alternative. (After all, three out of four of my computers would still be running Crunchbang.)

This wasn't as easy as I'd imagined. Bodhi Linux wouldn't cough up a torrent. Neither would antiX. I'm now downloading antiX-13 "base" from Sourceforge, at a stately 24 kB/sec. (Yes, the 20th century all over again.) I might go to bed before I get it all.

#7 2013-03-19 12:29:32

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

Could it be that your problems are caused by incomplete downloads?  Have you tried using wget to download the images?

#8 2013-03-19 12:37:11

uname
#! Junkie

Could it be that your problems are caused by incomplete downloads?

It is only necessary to check the md5sum.

#9 2013-03-19 13:18:36

Microcord
#! Member

I got CB via Transmission. The 64-bit version, as copied to USB, has booted two other computers (and been installed on one of them). The md5sum for the 32-bit version is correct.

(Meanwhile, my download of antiX seems to have frozen. I'll dig around for some other alternative that's actually downloadable.)

#10 2013-03-19 14:02:33

Microcord
#! Member

SliTAz downloaded in no time. I "burnt" it to USB device (using dd, as recommended here), and rebooted the machine. I pressed ESC and was taken to the boot menu. (Already, different from CB.)

I chose to boot off the USB, but the machine booted off the hard drive anyway. (Huh?)

Reboot, repeat. This time, I got to the which-do-you-want-to-boot-from menu but before I could choose the USB the machine decided that it would boot off the hard drive anyway.

Tired of this ESC nonsense, I went into the BIOS setup and told it first to attempt to boot off USB, then SD, then hard drive. (Yes, and I saved the settings before exiting.) With the SliTaz memory stick still plugged in, I had the computer reboot. Which it did, off the hard drive. (Huh?)

So: Attempting to boot this computer while a USB memory stick with Waldorf on it is plugged in leads it to freeze. Doing everything possible to have it boot off a USB memory stick with SliTaz on it leads to it happily ignoring SliTaz and booting off its hard drive.

My brain hurts. Good night!

#11 2013-03-19 14:17:16

fatmac
#! Die Hard

The SliTaz 4.0 iso is not a hybrid & therefore will not boot from a pendrive, (visit their forum to learn how to use that distro).
I had been using SliTaz 4.0 for a few months on netbooks fitted with SSDs OK, but decided to standardise on antiX 12 base for them, as its Debian.
Using #! on everything else with HDDs without a hitch.
Your HP Mini 5102 seems to be the problem unfortunately, have you tried each of its usb ports (?).

Linux since 1999
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

#12 2013-03-20 06:07:35

Microcord
#! Member

Yes, I've tried all the USB ports. Just now I also tried booting off a USB device with antiX. Like the attempts with CB, this attempt with antiX didn't go anywhere: diode flashing away on the USB memory thing, frozen screen.

The recipe for booting Debian off an ISO (etc) that's already on the hard drive (or ditto for antiX) doesn't look too complex, but that plus the switch from Debian to CB does all add up to a bit of work (by my timid/lazy standards). Since CB Statler on this laptop is a lot less irritating than some old version of Debian on my fourth computer (which does happily boot off a USB device), I think I'll do the old-Debian-to-Waldorf transplant on that machine before I do the Statler-to-Waldorf transplant on this one.

#13 2013-03-20 09:19:08

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Maybe try "vga=normal fb=false" as in this thread with your Waldorf live/pendrive.

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=289445  #8

Last edited by fatmac (2013-03-20 09:19:44)

Linux since 1999

#14 2013-03-20 10:29:32

mips

Disable the onboard audio in the BIOS and see if it helps with the USB issue, I know it's an issue with PXE booting.
Try updating to the latest BIOS from HP.

Some people seem to have found a solution by NOT using dd.
http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2395
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … SB_Creator

Last edited by mips (2013-03-20 10:34:45)

#15 2013-03-20 11:26:02

Microcord
#! Member

fatmac and mips, thank you both. I'll try out your ideas. Not today though, because I've just installed CB Waldorf (64) on that fourth machine I mentioned above. Everything went just fine, the result works beautifully (as far as I've noticed), I have nothing to moan about -- but (sorry) the process is a bit of a bore and it's not something I want to do twice in one day. Tomorrow I'll probably be tied up with unrelated work, so maybe I'll tackle this HP Mini on Friday.

#16 2013-03-24 09:27:38

mikael

Any news? I've got the same problem with my HP Elitebook 8540w. If I start the computer with the USB inserted (with #! 11), it freezes., cannot press F9 or anything. Same USB key with debian 7, ubuntu 12.10, openSuse 12.3 or windows 8, works without any problems.

#17 2013-03-24 12:40:15

Microcord
#! Member

Mikael, sorry, I don't know as I haven't yet tried it. I've been too busy using one computer (with Waldorf) to be able to spend more time with the other (with Statler). I hope to get around to it on Wednesday. When I do proceed, I'll post here.

#18 2013-03-30 14:10:01

Microcord
#! Member

Unfortunately I'm tied up with CB-irrelevant chores. And when I do have time to attend to CB, I'm keener to work on another machine. However, I do intend to return to the HP Mini 5102 some time fairly soon.

#19 2013-07-03 19:58:14

kAton

Hello,
Any solution?
I have the same problem with hp8740w. I have the latest bios, v22.
I found that this happens also with image written on a dvd and boot from cd.
I read somewhere that HP have problems booting from ext2/3 partitions on usb devices. But I lost the link.
The same crunchbang iso (64 and 32 bit) were tested on other machines (non HP) and works correctly. Also on HP I had previously some versions of Ubuntu and Xubuntu without problems. But the file system on boot usb for those was fat.
So it seems because of some stupid rules HP don't allows to boot from ext partitions (at least from usb and dvd).
Can it be made a crunchbang setup on a fat partition? Or does anybody have other ideas?
I already tried to make the setup usb with UNetbootin and Linux Live Usb Disk Creator, but without success. It tries to boot from usb without freezing the system, but I get a boot error.

Last edited by kAton (2013-07-03 22:07:13)

#20 2013-07-04 11:41:22

fatmac
#! Die Hard

I have a HP G62 laptop that worked OK with #! Waldorf (20130119 if I remember). So the January version certainly worked for me.
(Just for the record, I used dd to create my pendrive & installed from that.)

Linux since 1999

#21 2013-07-08 05:51:15

kAton

Searching how to install #! from a network drive, I found the solution to successfully boot #! setup on my hp from usb on this page at the alternative method.

Use unetbootin to create a DEBIAN HDMedia setup to usb drive, formatted to fat. Drop the #! iso file to the root of the usb device.
In my case it boots and starts installing #! in text mode.

Last edited by kAton (2013-07-08 05:59:46)

#22 2013-07-08 08:46:12

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Good to see you got it working & installed, kAton; welcome aboard.

Linux since 1999

Board footer