SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-15 19:32:35

Inalisk

'Transparent' Theme: Is it Possible?

First off, I may have missed this being posted/ asked already. If so, I am sorry, and if I could be directed to that thread, that would be an acceptable answer for me. I try to figure and research things on my own before asking 'dumb' questions.

That being said, my question is as follows: Is it possible to make a theme in OpenBox in which say the top bar for example is transparent (including the words displayed for instance when in this forum at the top of your browser)? I will attempt to do a drawing of what I mean below:

/< ` \_______________________________/ _ + x \
|                                                                |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where (<) is send to desktop, (`) is shade, (_) is minimize, (+) is maxamize, and (x) is close.

This may be an impossible feat given window re-sizing and all, but I am curious by nature and am not afraid to try things. Thank you in advance for any help that may be offered (likewise, thank you for telling me it's a no go if that is the case as well).

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-15 19:55:20

james0610
#! Member

Re: 'Transparent' Theme: Is it Possible?

compton will give you some sort of transparency but not the amount i suspect you want. The config for that is :

/.config/compton.conf

"On The First Day, God Created Linux... And The Rest Was Easy"

#3 2013-07-15 20:50:45

Inalisk

I will play around with compton. I haven't messed with it yet, so it may give me at least somewhere to start (more than I had initially). Thank you for the information.

#4 2013-07-18 02:53:15

RichardGv
#! Member

As you may have already noticed, compton couldn't provide anything better than making a few pixels around your window border transparent.

To make such irregular window decoration is not a trivial task, as far as I know. To display irregular window decoration is nothing hard with a 32-bit X visual (which does require some special treatment in window manager, though). To make sure the full-transparent areas do not receive input, however, might be pretty tricky, as X Shape extension uses a somewhat sickening method to define the input region of a window -- a bunch of rectangles. To define a window decoration like what you showed may require a hundred rectangles. And this basically cannot be done by other applications (like compton) but the window decorator itself (typically, the window manager).

And, unfortunately I'm not aware of a window manager that could display an arbitrarily shaped window decoration.

#5 2013-07-18 04:57:17

pvsage
Internal Affairs

XFWM4 seems to handle irregular windecs with ease.

#6 2013-07-18 05:48:44

RichardGv
#! Member

pvsage wrote:

XFWM4 seems to handle irregular windecs with ease.

Indeed. xfwm4 seemingly generates a bitmap from images in the theme with gdk_pixbuf_render_threshold_alpha() (mypixmap.c, 863), convert the bitmap to X Shape shape with XShapeCombineMask() and apply it on the windows (frame.c, 643). Heh, smart design, although the approach may generate somewhat useless rectangles, and doesn't handle semi-transparent pixels in a flexible way.

#7 2013-07-18 22:44:01

Inalisk

From the sound of things, I may have bitten off more than I can chew at this point in time. It's unfortunate that you can't make bitmaps in something like Gimp and use those. Then you could have transparency set, and have a good range of options for configuration and the like. I thank both of you for your input on the matter. It seems that I still have a great deal to learn.

#8 2013-07-18 23:53:58

RichardGv
#! Member

Inalisk wrote:

From the sound of things, I may have bitten off more than I can chew at this point in time. It's unfortunate that you can't make bitmaps in something like Gimp and use those. Then you could have transparency set, and have a good range of options for configuration and the like. I thank both of you for your input on the matter. It seems that I still have a great deal to learn.

I don't quite get what you meant. Xfwm4 automatically generates the mask bitmap (with a threshold of 255 aka 100%? Which makes sense because the window decoration has a 24-bit RGB visual.) for you, and to configure a shaped border with it you only need to provide a transparent XPM (and PNG). It is possible to read, edit, and export XPM with GIMP, provided that you enabled `--with-libxpm` when compiling it. (XBM is supported as well, I believe, thus you could create bitmaps with GIMP, literally.) And both imagemagick and GraphicsMagick supports XPM. (It's rumored that XPM supported in ImageMagick is somewhat broken, but seemingly at least 6.8.6.1 works here.) (Note XPM has boolean transparent like GIF. An article about how to change alpha threshold with ImageMagick is here. With the fixed threshold in xfwm4 you just can't get anything better anyway, I guess.)

I'm not aware of a WM that provides customizable window decoration mask support, if what you want is that level of flexibility. It probably isn't hard to hack a WM's code to do this, though.

#9 2013-07-19 01:41:08

Inalisk

What I have in mind is actually much more complex than what I described in my initial post.

In regards to the rest of what you said, I may have misread the prior post. I still have a lot to learn in regards to implementing the images produced in GIMP once they are finished (knowing where to place said image or how to reference to it in code etc). I'm unfamiliar with the extension XPM. Does it behave like other image files or is there something special about even creating one(minus needing '--with'libxpm')? I think I complied '--with-libxpm' but I don't remember. Is there a way to check or should I re-install?

If I am modifying code for a WM in order to use an image file (such as through XFWM4) then, in theory, wouldn't any one work? I had a bit of an issue my last time setting up XFWM and nearly had to do a re-install of the system (luckily it didn't come to that as it was just initial panic). As a result, I am somewhat leery of it as my WM.

Thank you for the link to ImageMagick. I have some reading to do there this weekend it would seem. I skimmed it and understand what I read so that in and of itself is reassuring.

I apologize for my reply being so long winded and unorganized, Just a lot of thoughts trying to fight for a place in this space. Thank you for all of your help so far on this matter. It has already been very enlightening.

#10 2013-07-19 05:44:55

RichardGv
#! Member

Inalisk wrote:

What I have in mind is actually much more complex than what I described in my initial post.

In regards to the rest of what you said, I may have misread the prior post. I still have a lot to learn in regards to implementing the images produced in GIMP once they are finished (knowing where to place said image or how to reference to it in code etc).

Regarding loading an image: X has native XPM support (with libXpm). (Keep in mind Xlib has almost the worst documentation you could ever imagine.) As for reading other image formats, I once wrote some code for PNG, JPEG, and GIF to X Image conversation, with libpng, libjpeg{,-turbo), and giflib, and it took over 500 lines of code, and I encountered tons of issues and undocumented/underdocumented stuffs. With GDK, Qt, imlib, cairo, or other graphical toolkit, nonetheless, it's just a matter of a few calls. I would recommend you to start with a WM that uses such a library already.

Regarding image placement: No, the WM should already take care of that. Your job is to read a mask from an image to a Pixmap and apply it to the window with XShapeCombineMask(), and probably change the 24-bit visual to 32-bit. Nothing more.

Xfwm4 feels like the simplest choice for me. It may take ~50 lines of code to add the feature.

Inalisk wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with the extension XPM. Does it behave like other image files or is there something special about even creating one(minus needing '--with'libxpm')?

I think I complied '--with-libxpm' but I don't remember. Is there a way to check or should I re-install?

Firstly, it's not necessary to use XPM for irregular window borders. I talked about XPM because I incorrectly thought you met some issues with it. Xfwm4 uses XPM and PNG for images in themes.

I guess XPM is quite similar to GIF: A palette based image format supporting boolean transparency. Its storage is significantly less efficient than GIF (as it's all ASCII text) and contains some remainings of the old days (mono/greyscale visual support), but neither should be a big issue for you.

When your GIMP doesn't have XPM support compiled in, you won't be able to find "X Pixmap (.xpm)" format in its "Export" dialog. I'm not aware of other ways to check it. And you could always convert from other formats to XPM with ImageMagick or GraphicMagick.

Inalisk wrote:

If I am modifying code for a WM in order to use an image file (such as through XFWM4) then, in theory, wouldn't any one work? I had a bit of an issue my last time setting up XFWM and nearly had to do a re-install of the system (luckily it didn't come to that as it was just initial panic). As a result, I am somewhat leery of it as my WM.

Any WM would work, yet certain WMs make the task easier. For instance, Openbox might be a bad choice because it lacks image-based window decoration support (i.e. you could only use solid color, gradients, etc. but not images), as far as I know. A WM based on certain high-level libraries (glib / Qt) may offer you a ton of convenience functions, making the modification drastically easier. Certain WM have very messy codebase that is unsuitable for modification. (Although being a loyal fvwm user, I have to say its codebase isn't of the best kind.) In particular, window managers written in C or high-level languages may be easier to modify than those written in C++. (C++ lures people to use too much abstractions, often resulting in unreadable code.)

Inalisk wrote:

Thank you for the link to ImageMagick. I have some reading to do there this weekend it would seem. I skimmed it and understand what I read so that in and of itself is reassuring.

Huh, the link is about how to change the alpha threshold when converting to XPM/GIF. It really isn't very important...

#11 2013-07-19 10:02:48

Inalisk

RichardGv wrote:

Regarding image placement: No, the WM should already take care of that. Your job is to read a mask from an image to a Pixmap and apply it to the window with XShapeCombineMask(), and probably change the 24-bit visual to 32-bit. Nothing more.

Xfwm4 feels like the simplest choice for me. It may take ~50 lines of code to add the feature.

Ok, so make image, put path in code essentially. Maybe I need to look at some other codes from other 'themes' to get an idea of how to do that (since essentially I am wanting to just do a complex theme).

RichardGv wrote:

Firstly, it's not necessary to use XPM for irregular window borders. I talked about XPM because I incorrectly thought you met some issues with it. Xfwm4 uses XPM and PNG for images in themes.

I guess XPM is quite similar to GIF: A palette based image format supporting boolean transparency. Its storage is significantly less efficient than GIF (as it's all ASCII text) and contains some remainings of the old days (mono/greyscale visual support), but neither should be a big issue for you.

When your GIMP doesn't have XPM support compiled in, you won't be able to find "X Pixmap (.xpm)" format in its "Export" dialog. I'm not aware of other ways to check it. And you could always convert from other formats to XPM with ImageMagick or GraphicMagick.

Ok. I was thinking that it was a special/ specific format that had to be used. I'll mess around with them and see what looks best and all/ is easiest to use. In the long run, it will depend on how rounded and all I want my edges to look. I'm going for almost an aero style (with even less exposed) if you are talking in terms of Windows.

I should have realized I could check the export to see if it was there. I shouldn't have even had to ask that then.

RichardGv wrote:

Any WM would work, yet certain WMs make the task easier. For instance, Openbox might be a bad choice because it lacks image-based window decoration support (i.e. you could only use solid color, gradients, etc. but not images), as far as I know. A WM based on certain high-level libraries (glib / Qt) may offer you a ton of convenience functions, making the modification drastically easier. Certain WM have very messy codebase that is unsuitable for modification. (Although being a loyal fvwm user, I have to say its codebase isn't of the best kind.) In particular, window managers written in C or high-level languages may be easier to modify than those written in C++. (C++ lures people to use too much abstractions, often resulting in unreadable code.)

Ok. Well with OB being a bad choice since it can't natively handle images, then I need to explore some other options like XFWM4 (again). I guess I was hoping to be able to still use OB since I had gotten a little used to it, but no big deal. Change is the spice of life.

RichardGv wrote:

Huh, the link is about how to change the alpha threshold when converting to XPM/GIF. It really isn't very important...

This is probably why it made so much sense to me then with just skimming over it. Ha ha. It's at least refreshing that I can still sound like a complete noob. Ha ha.

#12 2013-07-19 15:14:10

RichardGv
#! Member

Inalisk wrote:

I'm going for almost an aero style (with even less exposed) if you are talking in terms of Windows.

Eeh, I guess Emerald is pretty much the best in simulating Aero presently, although it isn't quite maintained right now. With its base in glib, gdk, and cairo you could access quite many functions. The bad things are you get hardwired to Compiz (I heard it crashes a lot without Compiz), its irregular window decoration supported is mostly limited to rounded corners (modifying the engine may work?), the engine that simulates Aero isn't based on images and the Pixmap engine doesn't do Aero, I'm not sure whether it truly sets window shape (instead of just using an image with alpha channel), and it's codebase doesn't look too clean. 0.9.5 works with Compiz 0.9.x but is super buggy, while 0.8.8 is relatively stable. Overall, doesn't look as easy as modifying xfwm4 in my opinion. You probably could simulate it in a certain degree with a decorator with ARGB support (and background blur, if your compositor supports it), as well.

Inalisk wrote:

Ok. Well with OB being a bad choice since it can't natively handle images, then I need to explore some other options like XFWM4 (again). I guess I was hoping to be able to still use OB since I had gotten a little used to it, but no big deal. Change is the spice of life.

By the way, Openbox can natively handle XBM (note, not XPM) indeed, but I guess it won't be very helpful for you.

Last edited by RichardGv (2013-07-19 15:18:01)

#13 2013-07-19 22:54:47

Inalisk

I did some research a little today. I think I will be giving XFCE a try and messing around with XFWM4 in that aspect. I've got to do a little more digging before I start using it exclusively but it shouldn't be a big deal to make the switch since I am only a couple of weeks into my setting up of OB. Most of what I have done so far is easy enough to copy and place in a different place.

Both are lightweight enough to not matter one way or the other to me and if XFWM gives me the ability to potentially create the layout and environment I want to have, then so be it.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I should start looking to be able to see how to edit the code/ what lines to maybe add. Just a general direction would be useful even.

#14 2013-07-31 23:36:54

arclance
#! Die Hard

Fluxbox is very similar to Openbox (but is much more customizable) and supports both pseudo and composited transparency on all its window manager elements.
I don't know how this works with a theme using pixmaps since I don't use one though.

Fluxbox can be set to make different areas of the window manger have different levels of transparency.
Theses settings are found in "~/.fluxbox/init" and end in ".alpha".
I can say that feature works correctly in pseudo transparent mode and with compton.
When using a compositor Fluxbox can control the transparency level of different programs independently by using the "~/.fluxbox/apps" file (tested to work with compton).

If you are interested in seeing if fluxbox will do what you want I would start by reading some of the man pages.
They explain a lot about what is possible style and transparency wise.
There is a Fluxbox styling guide here that explains some of the less obvious things about making a theme for Fluxbox.
You can also ask questions in the Crunchbang/Fluxbox thread.

#15 2013-08-02 23:35:01

Inalisk

@arclance - Thank you very much for the information on Fluxbox. I hadn't considered it as an option (but I am seriously now). I will do some more research into it and go from there. I'm working on making a new wallpaper (which means new colors and themes for everything). Thank you again.

#16 2013-08-03 03:57:41

arclance
#! Die Hard

^ I can post a screenshot of what my Fluxbox theme looks like with the transparency settings I use tomorrow if you want to get an idea of what it can look like.

Last edited by arclance (2013-08-03 14:26:27)

#17 2013-08-03 09:21:54

Inalisk

^ I would appreciate that. It would give me a chance to at least get a better idea of what is possible with Fluxbox and see if it may be a path I want to go down.

#18 2013-08-03 14:51:49

arclance
#! Die Hard

Here is the screenshot.
screenshot_2013_08_03_10_33_53_3840x1080_by_arclance-d6gga7o.png
I have Fluxbox set to not show window decorations on the terminal.

This is the Fluxbox style I made that is used in the screenshot.

toolbar:                             flat solid
toolbar.color:                       #171717
toolbar.button:                      flat solid
toolbar.button.color:                #CC9900
toolbar.button.picColor:             #171717
toolbar.label:                       flat solid
toolbar.label.color:                 #171717
toolbar.label.textColor:             #8B0000
toolbar.windowLabel:                 flat solid
toolbar.windowLabel.color:           #171717
toolbar.windowLabel.textColor:       #8B0000
toolbar.clock:                       flat solid
toolbar.clock.justify:               Center
toolbar.clock.color:                 #171717
toolbar.clock.textColor:             #EE7600
toolbar.iconbar.focused:             flat solid
toolbar.iconbar.focused.color:       #171717
toolbar.iconbar.focused.textColor:   #EE7600
toolbar.iconbar.unfocused:           flat solid
toolbar.iconbar.unfocused.color:     #171717
toolbar.iconbar.unfocused.textColor: #8B0000
toolbar.iconbar.unfocused.font.shadow.color: #000000
toolbar.justify:                     right
toolbar.font:                        liberationsans-9

menu.title:                          flat solid
menu.title.color:                    #171717
menu.title.textColor:                #8B0000
menu.title.font.shadow.color:        #000000
menu.title.font:                     liberationsans-10
menu.title.justify:                  center

menu.frame:                          flat solid
menu.frame.color:                    #171717
menu.frame.textColor:                #EE7600
menu.frame.disableColor:             #8B0000
menu.frame.font:                     liberationsans-10
menu.frame.justify:                  center

menu.bullet.position:                right
menu.bullet:                         triangle

menu.hilite:                         flat solid
menu.hilite.color:                   #EE7600
menu.hilite.textColor:               #171717

window.title.focus:                  flat solid
window.title.focus.color:            #CC9900
window.title.unfocus:                flat solid
window.title.unfocus.color:          #8B0000
window.title.unfocus.font.shadow.color: #000000

window.label.focus:                  flat solid
window.label.focus.color:            #171717
window.label.focus.textColor:        #EE7600
window.label.unfocus:                flat solid
window.label.unfocus.color:          #171717
window.label.unfocus.textColor:      #8B0000
window.label.unfocus.font.shadow.color: #000000

window.button.focus:                 flat solid
window.button.focus.color:           #CC9900
window.button.focus.picColor:        #171717
window.button.unfocus:               flat solid
window.button.unfocus.color:         #8B0000
window.button.unfocus.picColor:      #171717

window.handle.focus:                 flat solid
window.handle.focus.color:           #CC9900
window.handle.unfocus:               flat solid
window.handle.unfocus.color:         #8B0000

window.grip.focus:                   flat solid
window.grip.focus.color:             #8B0000
window.grip.unfocus:                 flat solid
window.grip.unfocus.color:           #CC9900

window.frame.focusColor:             #CC9900
window.frame.unfocusColor:           #8B0000

window.font:                         liberationsans-7.5
window.justify:                      right

*button.pressed:                     flat solid
*button.pressed.color:               #8B0000

borderColor:                         #CC9900

bevelWidth:                          1
borderWidth:                         1
handleWidth:                         1

*textColor:                          #EE7600
*Font:                               liberationsans-9
*.font.effect: shadow
*.font.shadow.color: #8B0000
*.font.shadow.x: 1
*.font.shadow.y: 1

background:                          flat
background.color:                    #171717

This is the "~/.fluxbox/init" I am using that holds the alpha settings for window manager elements and default program transparency settings.

session.screen0.titlebar.left:	Stick 
session.screen0.titlebar.right:	Minimize Maximize Close 
session.screen0.toolbar.visible:	true
session.screen0.toolbar.maxOver:	false
session.screen0.toolbar.widthPercent:	100
session.screen0.toolbar.tools:	prevworkspace, workspacename, nextworkspace,clock, prevwindow, nextwindow, iconbar, systemtray
session.screen0.toolbar.height:	0
session.screen0.toolbar.autoHide:	false
session.screen0.toolbar.layer:	Dock
session.screen0.toolbar.placement:	BottomLeft
session.screen0.toolbar.alpha:	77
session.screen0.toolbar.onhead:	1
session.screen0.window.focus.alpha:	120
session.screen0.window.unfocus.alpha:	90
session.screen0.tabs.usePixmap:	true
session.screen0.tabs.maxOver:	false
session.screen0.tabs.intitlebar:	true
session.screen0.tab.placement:	TopRight
session.screen0.tab.width:	64
session.screen0.slit.maxOver:	false
session.screen0.slit.autoHide:	false
session.screen0.slit.layer:	Dock
session.screen0.slit.placement:	RightBottom
session.screen0.slit.alpha:	200
session.screen0.slit.onhead:	0
session.screen0.slit.acceptKdeDockapps:	true
session.screen0.iconbar.alignment:	Relative
session.screen0.iconbar.usePixmap:	true
session.screen0.iconbar.iconWidth:	128
session.screen0.iconbar.mode:	{static groups} (workspace)
session.screen0.iconbar.iconTextPadding:	5
session.screen0.menu.alpha:	90
session.screen0.clientMenu.usePixmap:	true
session.screen0.rowPlacementDirection:	LeftToRight
session.screen0.focusModel:	ClickFocus
session.screen0.opaqueMove:	true
session.screen0.windowMenu:	~/.fluxbox/windowmenu
session.screen0.maxDisableMove:	false
session.screen0.maxDisableResize:	false
session.screen0.focusNewWindows:	true
session.screen0.tooltipDelay:	0
session.screen0.allowRemoteActions:	false
session.screen0.menuDelay:	200
session.screen0.workspaces:	4
session.screen0.workspacewarping:	true
session.screen0.edgeSnapThreshold:	10
session.screen0.focusSameHead:	false
session.screen0.colPlacementDirection:	TopToBottom
session.screen0.clickRaises:	true
session.screen0.fullMaximization:	false
session.screen0.maxIgnoreIncrement:	true
session.screen0.showwindowposition:	false
session.screen0.noFocusWhileTypingDelay:	0
session.screen0.strftimeFormat:	%a %02k:%M:%S
session.screen0.workspaceNames:	Workspace 1,Workspace 2,Workspace 3,Workspace 4,
session.screen0.tabFocusModel:	ClickToTabFocus
session.screen0.defaultDeco:	NORMAL
session.screen0.demandsAttentionTimeout:	500
session.screen0.autoRaise:	true
session.screen0.windowPlacement:	RowMinOverlapPlacement
session.appsFile:	~/.fluxbox/apps
session.cacheLife:	5
session.cacheMax:	200
session.keyFile:	~/.fluxbox/keys
session.doubleClickInterval:	250
session.forcePseudoTransparency:	true
session.menuFile:	~/.fluxbox/menu
session.styleOverlay:	~/.fluxbox/overlay
session.styleFile:	~/.fluxbox/styles/Arclance2
session.tabPadding:	0
session.colorsPerChannel:	4
session.slitlistFile:	~/.fluxbox/slitlist
session.autoRaiseDelay:	250
session.configVersion:	13
session.ignoreBorder:	false
session.tabsAttachArea:	Window

Last edited by arclance (2013-08-03 16:00:37)

#19 2013-08-03 19:21:37

Inalisk

^ Firstly, I like the wallpaper. Now that that is out of the way, I really like what you have done. From your config scripts, I see what you mean about it being very similar to OB.  This is my post from the July thread: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 27561&p=10  It's post #246. I am definitely going to look into FluxBox some more and see if I can make it do something along the lines of what I want it to since I have grown to like OB's right click menu. Ha ha.

#20 2013-08-03 19:47:38

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I was under the impression OP wanted windecs more like the scrollwork in arclance's wallpaper.  This is why I had suggested XFCE4/XFWM4; there are several themes in a regular XFWM4 install that could be used as a starting point for making something like that.

#21 2013-08-03 20:03:19

arclance
#! Die Hard

^ You might be able to find something to start from here.
There are hundreds of Fluxbox styles there but I have not looked at many of them because I like a more minimal style than most of what is there.

#22 2013-08-04 00:41:26

Inalisk

I like both. I know that I am in over my head with this project (due to my lack of knowledge in many things). Thanks for the help in all of these issues. I hope I can soon get this project under way so that I can show progress and then further improve upon the design.

Board footer