SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-18 11:27:22

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

A quick way to search for anything

Coming from the Mac side, one of the things I loved was the  spotlight feature. Super-spacebar brough up  the Spotlight window.  Type anything and Spotlight would find it as you type. File names, text within files, drives that are hooked  up to your computer, anything. I love this feature and always wondered why this  was missing from Linux. For a  person like my Mom, she is  not going to go to the command  line and run the find  and  locate command to search for things. The only solution I have found is Catfish.  I'm not even sure if there is a way to index the drives  for quick as  you type searches.

I have used Gnome-Do  and Synapse but I don't believe they can find files and text in documents on all your connected drives as well as your har drive.

This  would be a really cool feature to add to Crunchbang. Make it easy and quick to use.

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-07-18 12:35:49

radioact1ve

Re: A quick way to search for anything

I've been looking for something like this as well. I've caught myself pressing Super+Space on all of my systems after using Spotlight and Alfred on OSX.

Going to check out Synapse as it's the first I've heard about it.

#3 2013-07-18 12:54:43

Alefa

Afaik, the closest equivalent on Linux is KRunner In KDE. KDE has a file indexer which can index files both on local and external hard drives. You can also use KRunner to start programs, open websites, change the virtual desktop, shutdown the computer etc. I use it on my work laptop (Debian with KDE) and it's excellent. Of course, KDE's file indexer (like that of Mac OS, probably) requires a relatively powerful computer, otherwise the machine will become unbearably slow.
Synapse doesn't index all files, it uses the Zeitgeist engine to access files the user has used before. So if you have never opened a certain file, you will not be able to find it through Synapse. Also, Synapse only searches the names of files, not their content. For full text search, if you are not using KDE, you might want to use a standalone file indexer such as Recoll or DocFetcher.

#4 2013-07-18 13:01:50

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

I'm using #! as is. With Openbox. Can I run Krunner the way my #! is at present? My computer is a HP DV6 and dv2000 laptop so it should be fast enough?

I might put krunner on my Mom's Acer Aspire All In One 5600 so that she can do quick searches if need be.

Cheers Randy

#5 2013-07-18 13:32:04

Alefa

I think it doesn't really make sense to use KRunner if you're not using KDE. You can try to install it in Crunchbang, but it will probably draw in several hundred MB of dependencies, pretty much the whole KDE desktop. You might as well install KDE directly. If you don't want to use KDE (I assume you don't since you've chosen Crunchbang), my recommendation would be to use Synapse for files and programs and Recoll for full text search in files. Not perfect, but it covers most needs.
I'm actually not sure whether or not Synapse can find files on external hard drives. I'll try it out when I get home to my private laptop with Crunchbang.

#6 2013-07-18 13:35:30

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks Alefa!

I'd love to know what you come up with.

Cheers Randy

#7 2013-07-18 14:40:12

frankob
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Seems like the only two ways of achieving exactly that in GNU/Linux at this moment are KRunner and Unity Dash. For KRunner you have to install KDE (a different and much heavier desktop environment than what #! uses by default), for the Unity Dash you have to install Ubuntu (a whole other distro). Synapse comes close enough for me, though, and I find it great. So I am using that for now. Maybe you could suggest new features to the Synapse team?

Omnia sunt communia.

#8 2013-07-18 14:51:36

Alefa

Unfortunately, the development of Synapse stopped about a year ago: http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/04/syna … ained.html
I don't know whether or not a new maintainer has been found for the project, but it doesn't look like it. So there doesn't seem to be a chance that new features will be implemented, unless someone with the necessary skills becomes a developer.

#9 2013-07-19 14:54:44

ChipButty

I came from a Mac world too but I preferred Launchbar over Spotlight. On Linux I use KRunner with my KDE distro but it isn't as good as Launchbar. On Crunchbang I use Kupfer which can be a little quirky and take some time getting used to but it's really good.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Kupfer

#10 2013-07-19 16:32:12

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks Chipbuddy!

I used Launchbar as well as Butler (remember that one?) on the Mac side. I will definitely try out Kupfer. Short of this, I guess I will have to resort to the command line for locating stuff. Not that that is a bad thing but I was thinking about my Mom and her computer. I put Crunchbang 11 on it and would like an easy way for her to search things.

Really appreciate hearing from Mac users who have switched over or dabbled with Linux distros. Over 90% of my computer time isused on Linux distros. smile

Cheers Randy

#11 2013-07-20 01:07:32

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Launchy (must be in the repos) can create a catalog from a bunch of directories you feed it with. Maybe worth to take a look at? It's quite light on dependencies.

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#12 2013-07-20 03:18:46

ChipButty

rmcellig wrote:

Thanks Chipbuddy!

No problem, I'm pretty much a novice Linux user myself but love to help out when I can.

BTW, it's Chipbutty, not Chipbuddy. Its an English thing though your spelling is not unusual for Americans who are unfamiliar with the term, although I see you are Canadian so hopefully no offense taken! I live in the US but am from northern England. Anyway this Wikipedia page will set you straight. He!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty

#13 2013-07-20 13:15:34

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

nano ~/bin/easyfind

paste

find . | grep -i -s -e "$@"

then make is executable

chmod +x ~/bin/easyfind

usage

easyfind .txt

will search for all .txt file in current dir and subdirs.

(it is not exactly as powerful as mac search thingy of course, but it is passive and does not take any resources when not in use (and makes you look cool))

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2013-07-20 13:18:25)

#14 2013-07-20 13:29:33

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ I have that setup as an alias in .bash_aliases as

alias fin='find . | grep -i -s -e "$@"'

and use it as

fin .txt

works the same... thanks for the arguments!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#15 2013-07-20 15:06:26

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks Chipbutty!

No offense taken smile

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Cheers Randy

#16 2013-07-23 15:31:19

Alefa

@rmcellig:
I finally got around to trying out Synapse with files on an external USB device. Works without problems.

@ChipButty:
Good you mentioned Kupfer. I used it for a long time and really liked it.

Board footer