SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-24 02:12:15

drp6
#! Member

[SOLVED] SSH_Config Question

Referencing the #! wiki (http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/ssh) the ssh command should work by default, but I kept getting this when I tried to ssh into my AppleTV as root:

ssh root@IPaddress
/etc/ssh/ssh_config: line 54: Bad configuration option: PermitRootLogin
/etc/ssh/ssh_config: terminating, 1 bad configuration options

To resolve this issue I commented out line 54 to allow for root login in /etc/ssh/ssh_config

# PermitRootLogin no

Would someone be able to clarify what 'PermitRootLogin' (in /etc/ssh/ssh_config) actually is allowing. Is it just allowing me to login as root into a remote device I have the IP address and credentials (username/password) for? OR does it also allow someone to ssh into this computer with the proper IP and credentials?

Last edited by drp6 (2013-09-04 21:14:51)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-09-03 07:50:57

tux_777

Re: [SOLVED] SSH_Config Question

When in doubt, don't be afraid to read the 'man' page.

PermitRootLogin is actually an option which is valid in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file; not the ssh_config file. The difference is that the sshd_config file controls the SSH server and the ssh_config file controls the client. Therefore, it would indeed be a bad (invalid) config option in the client settings file.

Permitting remote access to any machine as 'root' is a bad thing, unless you're in a fairly secure environment, i.e. your machine is not accessible from the internet and you only live/work with nice people, because root is a known userID and if anyone can attempt to log into it they can attempt to brute-force it.

Check out '$ man 5 sshd_config' for all the low-down on server config and the PermitRootLogin option.

#3 2013-09-04 02:16:47

drp6
#! Member

Re: [SOLVED] SSH_Config Question

yikes the man page...totally forgot all about it - I will go read that...thanks for answering though!  smile

Board footer