SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-24 03:39:05

GnarlinBrando

Hi #!, longtime lurker first time poster

Hi everybody,

I've been using crunchbang in virtualbox for a little while now, but finally decided to do a real installation. While I have been working with debian servers the last two years this is my first entry into desktop linux since I was a kid. I really love crunchbang's philosophy and the community here seems to be top notch. I'm looking forward to sharing what I learn and learning from you all.

My goal is set up a clean development and testing environment to promote better working habits for myself and have a place to try out cutting edge technologies. I'll be looking into heavily textual user interfaces (I've grown quite fond of vim), dzen, dmenu, ncurses applications, and probably experimenting with tiling wm's (qtile and bspwm have my interest right now). I am also hoping to update my kernel to at least 3.8 so I can use docker and lxc to stream line my development process and test out new tools. I know that is all a little bit ambitious by you can't get to the front of the pack by playing catchup so I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith.

I might be a little over my head at the moment. I am writing this from my live-usb because I can't get my fresh install to work, but I'll go into that in a post in the appropriate place.

Thanks to everyone involved for helping make an awesome distro and an inviting community.

Freedom from, freedom to, freedom within, freedom without; it's a read-write world.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-08-24 04:01:11

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Re: Hi #!, longtime lurker first time poster

Welcome! I'm rather fond of vim too! :-D Sorry to hear your first install isn't working and hopefully we'll be able to help ya get it going.

#3 2013-08-24 04:22:54

falldown
#! Samurai

Welcome to the show GnarlinBrando.. Awesome username smile

#4 2013-08-24 05:05:31

GnarlinBrando

@falldown thank you, I am quite fond of it myself, it's the only handle I use

@chillicampari w00t vim, I am sure we will, I just hope it helps someone else avoid the hassle too, the thread is here if you are interested

Freedom from, freedom to, freedom within, freedom without; it's a read-write world.

#5 2013-08-24 05:12:44

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

@brando

Welcome to cb, enjoy the beef jerky.  BTW, have you ever emacs'd?  smile  I'm not partial though.  Vim is pretty shweet.

Pack em in snow!

#6 2013-08-24 05:20:44

GnarlinBrando

@rstrcogburn

It is on my list of things to do once I get my system running, I am quite interested in org mode, I have played with the vim-utl and a few other org mode clones, but I hear nothing beats the real deal. I would really like to be using one interface for all my text based stuff, coding, writing, notes, to-do's etc hopefully with support for markdown so I can just feed anything I want into my static site generator.

Last edited by GnarlinBrando (2013-08-24 05:27:56)

#7 2013-08-24 12:55:07

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

Welcome GnarlinBrando ... from what I read above the only thing your missing is a coffee and cookie.
They are at the back of the room ... come on in, set a spell, enjoy!

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#8 2013-08-26 22:07:56

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome GnarlinBrando. Sounds like an interesting project.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

Board footer