SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-26 15:04:56

Tommy311

Redrawing, flashing and pain in the eyes

Hello.

Recently, I discovered the joy of Ratpoison and keyboard driven usage of Linux. I use tiling as often as my bad sight lets me (which is really not that often), so I mostly have one big frame and switch windows in it.
Here comes the problem. When I switch windows and the screen get redrawn, there is white-ish flash. Once in a time it is bearable, but switching regularly really hurts the eyes.
I am using ATI videocard and I remember installing driver for it but ... I dont remember which one sad (btw, how can I find out which driver am I using? fglrx-info gives only basic info ... )

Thank you for your responses and have a nice, crunchy day !

"Remember, don't pay attention to the competition itself. Ignore other racers. The one you need to beat is yourself." - Bunta Fujiwara

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-10-07 14:46:19

Tommy311

Re: Redrawing, flashing and pain in the eyes

Sorry for double posting.
Few weeks later, few hundred views later, and I still dont have a solution for this.
Today, I tried awesome with no luck. Still the same old flash when I change windows.
I wonder what openbox does different. In openbox, I can alt-tab between dark black full-screen windows and nothing blinks, nothing hurts my eyes.
Ratpoison, awesome, i3? All the same. I am certainly missing the joke here.
If anyone can give me atleast a little insight, I would be infinitely grateful (especialy my eyes would be happy).
Thank you.

"Remember, don't pay attention to the competition itself. Ignore other racers. The one you need to beat is yourself." - Bunta Fujiwara

#3 2013-10-07 16:14:56

VDP76
#! Bean Roaster

Hi Tommy311,

I am afraid I do not have much suggestion on how to solve the "flashing issue"...but we can start to see which card/driver you're using, please, post the output of

lspci -knn | grep -A3 VGA

by the way, I would suggest you to use redshift (official page)...at least the flashing would be reddish, so less bright and less painful for the eyes...

Last edited by VDP76 (2013-10-07 16:15:46)

#!#!#! Forum etiquette #!#!#!
Are you a new member!? Have you introduced yourself?!
CLI basics | LVM | smxi | chrooting | multiarch

#4 2013-10-07 19:52:55

Tommy311

Here it is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Turks [Radeon HD 6670] [1002:6758]
	Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device [174b:e194]
	Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci

Fglrx is most likely 12.6 version (most likely, because I am using desktop and laptop, both with ATI graphics, #! and same problems, so I am sometimes confused from which is which)

#5 2013-10-10 12:05:55

VDP76
#! Bean Roaster

do you have the same flashing problem if you switch back to the FOSS radeon driver!?

I guess that without uninstalling the driver you could try to blacklist it and reboot..
if you do that, do keep a live-cd handy so if something goes wrong with the video you can chroot (see my sig) and revert the change....

I hope this helps....

edit: this suggestion is a bit of a wild guess for me, as I have no recent experience with ATI driver and never had to deal with the propietary one, but it might be worth a shot...

Last edited by VDP76 (2013-10-10 12:07:55)

#!#!#! Forum etiquette #!#!#!
Are you a new member!? Have you introduced yourself?!
CLI basics | LVM | smxi | chrooting | multiarch

Board footer