SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#776 2013-09-13 12:50:00

dot|not
#! Junkie

Re: Ideas for Janice

After long years of practical studies and intensive scientifical work I think the author of this post chose the completely wrong subforum. (Just joking. smile)

Be excellent to each other!

#777 2013-09-13 22:08:55

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

RoysoN wrote:

sorry my laptop is not crunch, but keyboard is missing !! and desconect in install graphic... help

Hi RoysoN! It sounds like your laptop is mostly working but there are problems with some of the keyboard characters and installing graphics drivers? If so, could you please start a new thread in Help & Support for the version of CrunchBang you are running (Stable or Testing) and include what kind of laptop you are using and what kind of graphics card you have? Thanks!

Last edited by chillicampari (2013-09-13 22:09:41)

#778 2013-09-14 03:36:04

codingman
#! Junkie

@RoysoN: Maybe you should take that question over to one of the support sub-forums.

U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

#779 2013-09-15 15:13:45

mjr

how's about to include some script to configure xscreensaver? for example, atm i have 3 language layouts, and when my screen locks, i can't see what layout is chosen; i have to guess. plus, nice #! background will be perfect instead of solid black

#780 2013-09-15 17:15:40

jon#!

I would love for the start-up script to include the choosing of stable, testing and sid. I'm unsure if it's even possible, but that would be great. It's hard, right now, to update to testing and unstable. It breaks for me anyway.

"I would site regulation, but I know you would simply ignore it" - Spock

#781 2013-09-15 18:30:27

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

jon#! wrote:

I would love for the start-up script to include the choosing of stable, testing and sid. I'm unsure if it's even possible, but that would be great. It's hard, right now, to update to testing and unstable. It breaks for me anyway.

Most likely be easier to do a separate iso that is either testing or sid.  for a #! Sid though you got Linux BBQ darkside.

#782 2013-09-16 13:56:46

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

How about a button to correctly install our drivers, nvidia or otherwise?
How about a button to make debian multimedia get all hooked up and ready to go.
How about a button to get Oracle VB hooked up for us in the repo's and installed.
How about a button to hook us up for skype and google earth.
How about voice controls and voice feedback integration, have it read me my webpages.
How about a built in alarm clock so I don't oversleep.
How about our own custom CrunchBang screensavers!!!!  Flyin GL stuff for our custom Screensavers CB themed...
How about a little CrunchBang song played when we log in...

#783 2013-09-16 14:48:07

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

kd5ob wrote:

I like this idea, However I would like the ability to customize this or even disable it completely.
because recently trying archbang... I don't like the "Welcome to Archbang Linux" every time I log in!

#784 2013-09-16 14:50:36

dot|not
#! Junkie

That's risky. If the responsible script detects the wrong hardware you may end up with a severely damaged system.

It's no official repository. And it's not the most complicated thing to add a few lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

How about a button to get Oracle VB hooked up for us in the repo's and installed.

It actually is in the repository.

How about voice controls and voice feedback integration, have it read me my webpages.

Show me a good (!) package for that.

#785 2013-09-16 23:01:58

ew
#! Die Hard

kd5ob wrote:

How about a button to hook us up for skype and google earth.
How about a built in alarm clock so I don't oversleep.
How about our own custom CrunchBang screensavers!!!!  Flyin GL stuff for our custom Screensavers CB themed...

I agree with skype, and spotify could also be added to that. It should be set up just like for example dropbox and the web-browsers, which are installable from the menu.

Crunchbang screensaver? Well, but then it need to be a lot better than the ones you find in x-screensaver, because that`s sso ugly that it`s even beyond what could be funny...

Song? You have the possibility to enable Waldorf saying a little adage. Isn`t that enough?

- apt-mark hold account

#786 2013-09-16 23:20:21

anonymous
The Mystery Member

ew wrote:

Song? You have the possibility to enable Waldorf saying a little adage. Isn`t that enough?

Now theres an idea! In addition to just text notifications, have the #! fortunes be read aloud in either Statler's or Waldorf's voice.

#787 2013-09-16 23:35:28

ew
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:
ew wrote:

Now theres an idea! In addition to just text notifications, have the #! fortunes be read aloud in either Statler's or Waldorf's voice.

Yes, that would be awesome big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#788 2013-09-17 11:00:03

vic
#! by Default

Since Janice begins with a J, get rid of the compositor and give her a raw retro Jauntyesque look.

Time to move on!#

Casual - A nano opera

#789 2013-09-17 11:31:45

pvsage
Internal Affairs

+1 for ditching the compositor (though those of us who like things like qtponies will need to install one).

-1 for anything Jaunty.  I thought the font rendering in Jaunty, in particular, was...mediocre.

Alternate retro suggestion:  bitmap fonts FTW.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-09-18 06:32:45)

#790 2013-09-17 17:48:02

Linuxephus™
Banned

After much contemplating of the State Of The Unixverse and what not, my humble conclusion is that since Waldorf runs so perfectly on a wide variety of hardware, Janice is now officially defunct and no longer necessary on the premise of Waldorf having personally notified Counsel, viz., M[y]E[njoyment], that he no longer requires a spouse, Janice, at this current point in time.

Furthermore, I hereby nominate Skype's middle finger icon as the correct response to the suggestion above.

Thank you and please bear with us here at Customer Dissatisfaction as we work to obfuscate the gentleman babbling like a monkey trapped in a locked cage.
But I digress.

Copywronged 2013.
All rights reserved.

-Evolution Is Merely God's Way Of Performing An Upgrade.-
-Linux: Guerrilla UNIX Development...Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus.-
-Linux: The Operating System With A C.L.U.E...Command Line User Environment.-

#791 2013-09-17 21:44:54

Hy
#! CrunchBanger

I like the idea of a themed screensaver, but who uses screensavers these days?

I'd go for some less solemn stock wallpapers too ...though still white on charcoal/black based.

~ Wait - what? ~

#792 2013-09-17 22:39:10

ew
#! Die Hard

Hy wrote:

I like the idea of a themed screensaver, but who uses screensavers these days?

I'd go for some less solemn stock wallpapers too ...though still white on charcoal/black based.

I would use a screensaver if it doesn`t look like it`s created by drunk monkeys, as the x-screensavers do. They are all created with the assumption that we all use computers and graphics from 1995.

- apt-mark hold account

#793 2013-09-18 02:35:19

codingman
#! Junkie

How about a button for each and every thing that exists in the repositories?
How about you actually set up those things by yourself?
How about some simple apt-getting?

U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

#794 2013-09-18 03:19:19

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Codingman brings up a good point (though I'd like a button to make and serve me dinner) :-D

One of the things I really like about #! is that the distro is set up to where you can use it as is as a much nicer than barebones install, and optionally add on some goodies through the cb-welcome script, but the other big part is tailoring it to your own needs, which involves some DIY and possibly learning how to do some things. Like video drivers. Other distros have different ways of doing it, but it's nothing I'd feel comfortable using as either part of the welcome script where there are several other things going on, or dealing with jocky-gtk. Also, when you start getting into multiple choice on a single select, you're going past a simple script and getting into ncurses style interfaces or temporary databases which adds additional overhead. Sometimes simpler isn't always easier, but can be more useful.

Edit- as a side note, I had to reuse the drive that had my Waldorf install for something else a while back but I recently fired up the drive with my old Statler install, and that thing still really flys.

Last edited by chillicampari (2013-09-19 03:25:45)

#795 2013-09-18 10:43:07

ew
#! Die Hard

codingman wrote:

Because Crunchbang is intended to provide the best out of box experience possible, thereby targeting a broader market than those that normally would use a Debian-distro. The introduction of a welcome-script with the option to install things, and also being able to install Dropbox, Web-browsers an libreoffice etc... opens the gates for these kinds of suggestions...

- apt-mark hold account

#796 2013-09-18 11:02:34

dot|not
#! Junkie

There is a fine line between "best out of the box experience possible" and "bloated". We should not cross that line.

#797 2013-09-18 20:21:40

frankob
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Some are trying to bloat it here, others are trying to scarce it...
But in my opinion, if you are an intermediate (or more advanced) user, #! already is one of the best out of the box experiences out there, WITHOUT being bloated for that sake. And at the same time, it is one of the best lightweight distros out there, WITHOUT sacrificing standard modern functionality for that sake. It's in balance. And it should be kept that way.

Last edited by frankob (2013-09-18 20:22:13)

Omnia sunt communia.

#798 2013-09-18 22:11:38

ew
#! Die Hard

dot|not wrote:

There is a fine line between "best out of the box experience possible" and "bloated". We should not cross that line.

Yes, but when some apps are possible to install that way, you will always get questions about why not also this and that. It`s the nature of human beings. We want our apps to take priority ...

Frankly, I think that Crunchbang should quit doing this all together. Assisting people trough installing java, flash and things like that is sufficient. There`s no need to assist people in installing webrowsers, office-suites or other popular apps like spotify and skype. Even the most unskilled are capable of finding chromium or libre-office with synaptic...

Last edited by ew (2013-09-18 22:13:23)

- apt-mark hold account

#799 2013-09-18 23:14:40

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

codingman wrote:

It's called synaptic, comes as a button (icon) or menu item. monkey

codingman wrote:

Say what!!! I have to work? sad

codingman wrote:

Very east to do:  get my_file

alias get='sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends'

And right after I install Janice I have my 'ainstall' to run ...

#!/bin/bash
# Sector11's list
#
echo 'apt get is about to install -- THE list! ---'
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends -y apt-listbugs apt-listchanges artha bum claws-mail claws-mail-doc conky-all convertall cups cups-driver-gutenprint cups-pdf curl disk-manager dlume escputil fbxkb flashplugin-nonfree gawk gawk-doc gimp gimp-help-en hddtemp homebank htop hunspell hunspell-en-ca hwinfo ibritish icedove iceweasel ispell libdate-manip-perl libreoffice libreoffice-help-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-en-gb libvdpau1 libxml2-utils lm-sensors mawk medit menu mtink mtink-doc myspell-en-gb myspell-es myspell-tools ntp ntp-doc numlockx nvclock printer-driver-hpijs python-dateutil radiotray remind sane sane-utils sgt-puzzles sl smartmontools suckless-tools system-config-printer umplayer vnstat wbritish-insane wcanadian-insane weblint-perl wmctrl xsane yad &&
echo ' '
echo 'Press ANY key to create vnstat database (eth0)'
read key
sudo vnstat -u -i eth0 &&
echo ' '
echo 'Press a key to continue with sensors-detect'
echo 'Answer YES to everything!'
echo ' '
read key
sudo sensors-detect
echo ' '
echo 'Press a key to configure hddtemp'
echo 'Answer: Yes, 0, Yes, OK, OK'
echo ' '
read key
sudo dpkg-reconfigure hddtemp
echo ' '
read 'Done'
exit

OK!  I'm ready for Janice!!!!  Go ahead Core - throw her at me ... be quick, my wife is watching!

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#800 2013-09-19 00:25:34

ew
#! Die Hard

Sector11 wrote:

OK!  I'm ready for Janice!!!!  Go ahead Core - throw her at me ... be quick, my wife is watching!

Hey, keep throwing those scripts at me. You`ve now got your own folder in my Dropbox big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer