SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-16 19:32:30

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Here's the thing...

I've always been a fan of using emulators to play old school games but bsnes is a hassle to use and zsnes is not compatible with #! at all. I'm considering taking a giant leap towards Scummvm (i've heard it works wonders) so I was wondering which games are a must play? Have any of you guys tried it yet?

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-09-17 09:37:58

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: Here's the thing...

Not a gamer, but you might get more response if you changed the title to something like :-

Scummvm & games

(Just trying to help.  smile )

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2013-09-17 09:51:15

saneks
#! Die Hard

SCUMMVM is the engine for old 2-D point and click adventures from the 80s and 90s.. you should basically play all the LucasArts games - also check out Beneath A Steel Sky (free/abandoned) and Simon the Sorcerer. Sierra made some famous games as well, but I always preferred the Lucasfilm/Lucasarts games.

http://scummvm.org/compatibility/

if you play the lucasart games, check the release year and try to play them chronologically (like in the list). they contain lots of crossreferences and jokes between different games. those are great games in an almost extinct genre.

Last edited by saneks (2013-09-17 10:17:53)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#4 2013-09-17 17:08:58

anonymous
The Mystery Member

nebulaehair wrote:

... and zsnes is not compatible with #! at all.

Could you elaborate on this? zsnes appears in the Debian repos. Why would it not be compatible?

#5 2013-09-17 19:46:02

cchhrriiss121212
#! Junkie

I was wondering which games are a must play?

Sam & Max Hit the Road.

#6 2013-09-17 20:40:26

Bradi
#! CrunchBanger

ScummVM is not an emulator in the traditional sense. It's a kinda platform to play old adventure games on modern systems. I emphasise that since adventure games are not everyone's cup of tea. They have their own twisted logic which takes some time getting used to, but after you make that initial effort, they offer an unparallelled storytelling experience, in my opinion. I got the impression that you are somewhat new to adv games, hence this disclaimer.

SCUMMVM is available in the wheezy repositories and should work OOTB with most games, but if you experience problems, get the latest version from scummvm.org - they are constantly improving supported games, and some bugs may have been fixed since the freeze.

As for the games, i'm a fan of LucasArts. There's some zany comedic games with intelligent humour - Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island series, Sam & Max. As well as something more serious - Grim Fandango (my all-time favourite), The Dig, Loom.

However, some of the puzzles in these games may seem illogical for a beginning player. If you find that this is the case, I recommend the first Broken Sword game, by Revolution Software. It is not overly difficult, and it has pretty good writing (my opinion).

I find Sierra games to be the hardest for a beginning player, but if you want to go real vintage and feel what a gamer's life was like before the glorious times of auto-save, health regen and on-screen hints, grab one of their Quest series.

Hope this helps

EDIT: I forgot, Flight of the Amazon Queen is a nice and easy game to get you started. Sudo apt-get install flight-of-the-amazon-queen, and go. It's not as epic as the previously mentioned, but it's a good demo of what's to come.

Last edited by Bradi (2013-09-17 20:48:02)

Board footer