SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-16 12:27:47

saprabolt

Installing on an UEFI laptop

Hi all,

I have 3 computers with #!, but this will be my fisrt laptop with UEFI. Just ordered it and told the dealer to go someplace dark if linux won't run on it (will demand refund). I am scared by the seriousness of trouble found online on how to deal with UEFI.

samsung NP900X3D is the laptop in question.

What the heck do I need to do to install in on? I just want the usual #! nothing else, I want to eradicate win8, please! I have been unsuccessful in trying to boot from a live USB on a similar SAmsung series 5 UEFI notebook, so now I am deeply worried (I disabled secure boot etc. The usb boots just fine in my old PC).

Since it will be a work laptop I will need from day one, I could use some serious advice on how to do it.

I do not need UEFI (EFI) boot, normal legacy Grub will do just fine, thank you (can I use the entire disk, do I have to leave the EFI partititon? Can i Upgrade to EFi after installing... so many questions).

The laptop should be here in one week.

Thank you,

Blaž

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-10-16 15:00:01

vic
#! by Default

Re: Installing on an UEFI laptop

Time to move on!#

Casual - A nano opera

#3 2013-10-16 20:02:58

slowgraffiti

i had problems with my EFI laptop and could never get anything other than Ubuntu to work on it. In the end I just went to bios, and enabled legacy bios mode, then installed off cd as normal. It's not as quick to boot as having efi switched on would have been (so i'm led to believe), but i don't really notice. It says here that you have the same option on your laptop: http://liliputing.com/2012/12/samsung-s … eview.html so thats an easy solution if you need.

#4 2013-10-16 23:54:04

ew
#! Die Hard

The best option for you is to disable secure-boot, enable legacy boot, and install Crunchbang just as you`ve always do. There isn`t anything in uefi that makes it worth the hazzle of getting Crunchbang to work with it.  As for partitioning, choose something else in the installer and do it manually. Then choose "create a new partition table", and set up the partitions you want. Then finish partitioning and write the changes. Easy as that. W8 is gone, and #! is installed with the partition-scheme of your choice.

- apt-mark hold account

#5 2013-10-17 16:51:14

ferenc
#! Member

hi,

OK, i see... reading through the threads (slowly)

do I need to keep the small EFI partition, just to be on the safe side)?

Thx,

Blaž

Oh, hehe... I seem to have 2 different accounts here

Last edited by ferenc (2013-10-17 16:51:59)

#6 2013-10-17 23:37:44

ew
#! Die Hard

ferenc wrote:

hi,

OK, i see... reading through the threads (slowly)

do I need to keep the small EFI partition, just to be on the safe side)?

Thx,

Blaž

Oh, hehe... I seem to have 2 different accounts here

You could keep it if you think that you will install anything in uefi mode later. But if you use the whole harddisk for Crunchbang then there is no point in keeping it, because you can recreate it the next time you replace it with a new release. There will never be any need for uefi with Waldorf, so if that`s the only distro you want to use, then forget uefi all together.

- apt-mark hold account

#7 2013-10-18 13:16:15

ferenc
#! Member

are there any serious advantages with uefi? I mean, what is the actual difference, speed? anything?

thnx,

f

#8 2013-10-19 00:41:15

rabidfox
#! CrunchBanger

Many of you have probably seen my previous posts about trying to install #! on a UEFI laptop.

Today's attempt led me to put Ubuntu on there, which of course works okay, and then I used Unetbootin to install the iso to the HD.  However, when I'm there it tells me that it can't detect the CD-ROM.  It won't let me proceed.  How do I get around this?

Please, don't make me use Ubuntu!!  :'(

...But I'm ever so squeezable!

#9 2013-10-19 00:51:50

ew
#! Die Hard

rabidfox wrote:

Many of you have probably seen my previous posts about trying to install #! on a UEFI laptop.

Today's attempt led me to put Ubuntu on there, which of course works okay, and then I used Unetbootin to install the iso to the HD.  However, when I'm there it tells me that it can't detect the CD-ROM.  It won't let me proceed.  How do I get around this?

Please, don't make me use Ubuntu!!  :'(

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to install Crunchbang in uefi-mode? I wouldn`t recommend it for the average user, but here is a way to do it: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21510

Psst... Debian 7.1, our mother, does the same as Ubuntu. It will make a excellent efi-install right out of the box. Just install Debian and Crunchify it. No need to use that Ubuntu-shit smile

- apt-mark hold account

#10 2013-10-19 00:56:38

ew
#! Die Hard

ferenc wrote:

are there any serious advantages with uefi? I mean, what is the actual difference, speed? anything?

thnx,

f

Nope. There are benefits by GPT. but that can also be used with bios/legacy mode. Just add a small partition used as "reserved as "bios boot area". 1 MB is more than enough.

- apt-mark hold account

#11 2013-10-19 01:31:50

rabidfox
#! CrunchBanger

Well, I was trying to get unetbootin to install it through Grub, but now it's suddenly not loading anymore and saying it has to load the kernel first.

I'd love to put Debian on and crunchify it, but unfortunately Debian too is not UEFI friendly.  Only Ubuntu seems to have gotten it easy for us.  And I'll tell you, this has been the hardest computer problem I've had to solve.  I've been dealing with this for a year now and still can't get #! on this thing.

...But I'm ever so squeezable!

#12 2013-10-20 00:01:13

ew
#! Die Hard

^ I know that Ubuntu has made this very easy for us, and has been easy for quite a while. That`s why I used Ubuntu as my efi-bootloader and master-grub, handling all my other distros. BUT DEBIAN 7.1 has become uefi-friendly, and does the uefi install right out of the box. The only thing you have to remember, is to boot the installation media in uefi-mode, otherwise it will not do a uefi-install. Why use unetbootin?

Of course you can get Crunchbang on your pc.  Disable secure boot, enable legacy boot and install Crunchbang in legacy mode. Remember that if you use a gpt-disk, then you should create a small partition reserved as bios-boot area(bios_grub).... If you don`t want this partition, you should convert your disk to a mbr-disk. But to be able to do this, you need to wipe the disk clean. You can use gparted to convert the disk. If you wipe it clean, the default in gparted is to create a ms-dos table, which is what you want. But you can choose whatever you want. When the disk is empty with unallocated space, then in gparted, click on "Device", then "Create Partition Table", and then if you want gpt, then click on advanced and choose gpt....

But remember, all new windows pc`s use gpt, and if you do not wipe it clean and convert it, then you need the bios_grub partition. Otherwise your bootloader may fail. My experience is that unetbootin doesn`t handle gpt and uefi very well, so if you want to use unetbootin, then you should convert your hdd to mbr(ms-dos) and use legacy boot.

- apt-mark hold account

#13 2013-10-27 06:22:21

ferenc
#! Member

OK, I get the laptop on wednesday. I will try.

In the meantime I failed with style to liveUSB any linux distro I tried on my friend's similar EFI laptop (Samsung too).

This will be fun!

f

#14 2013-11-04 12:19:47

saprabolt

hi,

solved, legacy BIOS mode, GRUB2 way.

It's flying. Thanks.

blaž

Board footer