SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-17 18:23:28

google

peppermint user

revived my old hp compaq to be use as download box , surfing the web and a lil bit of multimedia... using peppermint...
been using it for weeks now... but not that light weight as many says... so i searched for another solution and #! looks like a pretty good alternative... but am so used to peppermint now and i gotta say, that app store like thingy is a great feature for a newbie like me to linux... so my question is do i have to do everything in terminal?? if so can you please guide me or a how to would help me alot... thanks...

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-10-17 18:29:27

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: peppermint user

google wrote:

... so my question is do i have to do everything in terminal?? if so can you please guide me or a how to would help me alot... thanks...

I don't exactly know what you mean by "do everything," but as far as downloading apps -- if that's what you do with the "app store like thingy" you mention in your post -- then no, CrunchBang has GUI-based programs like the Synaptic Package Manager to handle that.

The best thing you can do is to try out the distro using a live DVD or a live USB and see how it works for you. This is the key to using Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) -- finding what works for you and using it. If it's CrunchBang, great -- and welcome. If it isn't, we're OK with that and you're clearly welcome to stick around regardless.

Good luck with CrunchBang.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#3 2013-10-17 18:38:30

tamikan
#! Die Hard

Welcome in the forums google lol what a timing just when I wrote in another post that I'm mad at Google

Top things devil
dwb | Firefox Nightly | sakura | emacs | moc | #! | Arch | Doing 1 thing @ the time | Music from the 90s

#4 2013-10-17 20:51:04

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Welcome to the CrunchBang Community, google.

I believe what you're calling an "app store like thingy" is the Software Center; this is available in Debian and is therefore available in CrunchBang, but once you've used apt-get to install things in terminal a few times, you'll wonder why you ever needed something as heavy and bloaty as Software Center. wink

#5 2013-10-17 22:16:27

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Hey, isn't that name trademarked? Welcome anyways, newbie. At least you've seen the light and ventured beyond Peppermint lol . Kudos. Not that I dislike them, but #! is better. Of course. wink

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#6 2013-10-17 23:05:38

AndyinMokum
#! Junkie

Welcome to the show Google.  No, you don't have to do everything in the terminal.  It is helpful to get used to it though.  One of the really cool things about Crunchbang is that it ever so gently nudges you toward using the terminal as an everyday tool.  That is all it is, a tool and a  very good one.  If you want to use a GUI for downloading programmes, Crunchbang has the Debian Synaptic Package Manager.  Also very easy to use and very good. Crunchbang is very easy to use. It just takes a little getting used to.  The other really cool thing about Crunchbang is this forum.  If you have a problem or difficulties there is an army of Crunchbangers ready to help you out. I found this, "things to do after installing Crunchbang" site. really helpful in getting my head around Crunchbang. http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012/10 … wheezy-os/.  The firewall settings are a bit vicious for my liking.  The defaults are great to start with.  Remember to save the default scripts somewhere safe before you start editing them.  It saves a lot of screaming and gnashing of teeth if it all goes wrong.  I say just go with it, ask as many questions as you want and enjoy the whole Crunchbang experience.  I"m also very new to Linux.  I started using it in May of this year.  I can quite honestly say as a newbie that, Crunchbang is an absolute pleasure to use. Have fun  smile!

"If you can't blind 'em with science, baffle 'em with bullshit".

Distros: Crunchbang 11 ""Waldorf" 64bit & Peppermint Five 64bit, Machine: Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Notebook Li 3710, CPU: 2x Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, RAM: 4GB

#7 2013-10-18 00:44:03

google

brace for noob questions!!!
/etc  << is this where all the config files are located???
been playing around the file system... big_smile

#8 2013-10-18 01:19:15

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Yep!

and welcome! enjoy the incredible #! distro!

#9 2013-10-18 08:08:47

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

There are many config files also in your home folder (such as .conkyrc). Press Ctrl-H to show/hide these in thunar. Also some in ~/.config. These ones apply to your user only, as opposed to system-wide.

- Break the conventions, keep the commandments -

#10 2013-10-18 13:40:56

xero
#! Junkie
Website

welcome to #!

the "app store" is the Synaptic Package Manager.

if your looking for GUI config files, open the main menu (right click on the desktop or press SUPER+SPACE) go under setting, and pick an app (e.g. openbox, conky, tint2, etc) notice every app has some option like: "edit config".

happy hacking!

▬▬ι═════════-
dotfiles http://git.io/.files

#11 2013-10-19 16:11:48

google

so i've been playing wih crunchbang for about a day now... and i think I'll stick with this one , instead of peppermint...
but I have some questions...

1.lets say I uninstalled a software... in windows clicking uninstall don't usually remove everthing... there's some entries left in the registry , some temp files and etc and i ahve to delete them manually hmm ... so do i have to do that in crunchbang??
2.what's dmenu?? big_smile
3.when doing a fresh install to hdd... there's a 5% space for super user??... can i just 0 it out or not??
4.can some one explain to me the file system?? like in windows program files >>>> software resides... in linux>>> ???
thanks xD

#12 2013-10-19 16:55:52

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

google wrote:

so i've been playing wih crunchbang for about a day now... and i think I'll stick with this one , instead of peppermint...
but I have some questions...

1.lets say I uninstalled a software... in windows clicking uninstall don't usually remove everthing... there's some entries left in the registry , some temp files and etc and i ahve to delete them manually hmm ... so do i have to do that in crunchbang??
2.what's dmenu?? big_smile
3.when doing a fresh install to hdd... there's a 5% space for super user??... can i just 0 it out or not??
4.can some one explain to me the file system?? like in windows program files >>>> software resides... in linux>>> ???
thanks xD

1. To completely uninstall something, including config files and unneeded dependecies, run

sudo apt-get purge [name of program to remove]

(don't include the square brackets) followed by

sudo apt-get autoremove

2. dmenu is a menu containing all the executables/scripts on your system (as long as they're in the designated folders). Access it with Alt+F3, and type in a search term to search the menu's contents.

3. Are you sure that 5% of space isn't "swap" (i.e. "virtual memory")?

4. As to the filesystem structure, I don't know it well enough to explain it confidently smile

I hope that all the above is correct...

Last edited by photonucleon (2013-10-19 16:57:43)

- Break the conventions, keep the commandments -

#13 2013-10-19 17:18:28

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Also, google, let me make a friendly suggestion: There's a looking glass in the upper right where you can search for answers for quetions you might have before asking them on the forums. You'll find that in a lot of cases for beginners, questions have already been asked and answered, so you don't need to "reinvent the wheel."

A better guide to look for answers on this forum can be found here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=672

Happy CrunchBanging!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#14 2013-10-19 17:48:58

MaLiXs

Welcome Google

#15 2013-10-20 12:58:13

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard google.

Take a look in my 'sig' below.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#16 2013-10-20 16:05:00

google

fatmac wrote:

Welcome aboard google.

Take a look in my 'sig' below.

thanks!  smile

Board footer