SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#926 2013-10-11 00:31:37

.devon

Re: Ideas for Janice

The only reason i had that thought, was if you walk in a best buy (overpriced swindlers) then just look at their laptops, like 80% of them are touchscreen. Mabye not integrate touch in #!, but have the option to use it. haha @Hy "nooooooo"

"Wisdom begins in wonder." -Socrates

Be excellent to each other!

#927 2013-10-11 08:35:43

AlexMex90
#! CrunchBanger

My two cents,

updating the oracle-java7-installer package to install the latest JDK version,
seems like JDK7u40 has conflicts with OpenJDK6 but if JDK7 is installed alone works perfectly. Why not asking on the welcome script whichh one to use?

(I had to download oracle-java7-installer_7u40-0~webupd8~0_all.deb manually from launchpad)

Statler: Are you running Mac or PC?

Waldorf: After that... I'm running away!

#928 2013-10-16 06:41:34

hoodsey
Website

I'm new here, and this thread is quite long, so please bare with me.

PulseAudio, while a resource hog, is fine. There have actually been sound cards I couldn't get to work with ALSA, but PulseAudio done the trick.

Everything out of the box currently, as it stands, is amazing. However, as a lightweight distro, why not pipe the installers instead of installing everything out of the box? So essentially upon first boot, you would have tint2, conky, file-roller, thunar, iceweasel, essentially everything you'd need to work out of box and do things online. And make everything outside of that optional installs?

Feel free to tell me to shut up. But this would reduce the image size even further, cut some of the clutter, and give users some options.

#929 2013-10-16 14:52:10

anonymous
The Mystery Member

hoodsey wrote:

Everything out of the box currently, as it stands, is amazing. However, as a lightweight distro, why not pipe the installers instead of installing everything out of the box? So essentially upon first boot, you would have tint2, conky, file-roller, thunar, iceweasel, essentially everything you'd need to work out of box and do things online. And make everything outside of that optional installs?

Feel free to tell me to shut up. But this would reduce the image size even further, cut some of the clutter, and give users some options.

Frankly I would agree with your idea, at least for a CrunchBang Lite (hint!hint!). However without additional software, many files (doc, mp3, avi, etc) would be useless until the user installed the appropriate software and I suspect this could be a major turnoff.

Last edited by anonymous (2013-10-16 14:52:21)

#930 2013-10-16 15:44:06

tamikan
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

However without additional software, many files (doc, mp3, avi, etc) would be useless until the user installed the appropriate software and I suspect this could be a major turnoff.

true
Plus the software selection is pretty nice. The only app that I delete on a fresh install if I'm not lazy is xchat but that's me tongue

Top things devil
dwb | Firefox Nightly | sakura | emacs | moc | #! | Arch | Doing 1 thing @ the time | Music from the 90s

#931 2013-10-16 19:16:10

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

anonymous wrote:

@ hoodsey
Frankly I would agree with your idea, at least for a CrunchBang Lite (hint!hint!). However without additional software, many files (doc, mp3, avi, etc) would be useless until the user installed the appropriate software and I suspect this could be a major turnoff.

Crunchbang Lite would be nice - OB, Tint2, Thunar, IceWeasel, Terminator (forget Synaptic - apt-get it if wanted) I'd rip out file-roller for xarchiver (personal choice) - see changing things already and it doesn't even exist yet. (hint hint) big_smile

Even CB Lite would have the look and feel of #! "OOTB" and since it is the LITE version users would be prepared for the "user installed appropriate software" and actually be looking forward to it.

Here's where a "Super" cb-welcome script could come in ... or pipemenus ... in a "Personalize CB" menu entry with sub menus
ie:
==========================================
Archivers: a is installed and the default #! archiver
Choose a number - precede with 0 to delete default

1. a

2. b

3. c

4. d

Example:
03 would delete the default and install #3
3 would install #3 and leave the default.
Option [blinking cursor]
==========================================
Pipemenus:
2013_10_16_16_09_48_1920x1080_Sector11.jpg
I really have to learn bash scripting.

Last edited by Sector11 (2013-10-16 19:17:58)

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#932 2013-10-18 20:04:32

swiftlinuxcreator

I agree with the suggestions on offering a lighter version of CrunchBang that still fits on a CD.  GIMP can be omitted.

I understand that CrunchBang has a following of users who don't like DEs, but there should be a version with a DE pre-installed.  Puppy Linux, antiX Linux, and SliTaz Linux use Rox Pinboard for this.  Another possibility is to use LXDE (which uses OpenBox).  I've always had to have clickable desktop icons, and that's why I like Linux Mint Debian Edition, antiX Linux, and Puppy Linux so much.

#933 2013-10-18 21:52:23

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

What's so hard about installing a DE manually? if you don't like #! because it lacks a DE then don't use it. simple as that.

#934 2013-10-18 21:58:01

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

#! Gamers edition? Have desura, steam Linux and window client installed along with playonlinux and any debian game repos.  Also a script or GUI easy program to install proprietary graphic drivers?

#935 2013-10-18 23:27:43

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

CSCoder4ever wrote:

What's so hard about installing a DE manually? if you don't like #! because it lacks a DE then don't use it. simple as that.

I doubt you'll get an answer ... I'm surprised he's still here after Bobobex's comment in this thread and all the comments here - he's just pushing his own twist of Linux.

#936 2013-10-18 23:41:31

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

Sector11 wrote:
CSCoder4ever wrote:

I doubt you'll get an answer ... I'm surprised he's still here after Bobobex's comment in this thread and all the comments here - he's just pushing his own twist of Linux.

He really seems to be just trolling. He doesn't understand the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager, he thinks IceWM is hard to configure, and that SliTaz uses LXDE (it does not -- it uses lxpanel and pcmanfm to manage desktop icons, as does LXDE, but this does not mean it uses LXDE; both of those can be added to Openbox without installing LXDE).

switflinux.org wrote:

LXDE interface: The IceWM interface is very well-polished and user-friendly in antiX Linux, but replicating it without an antiX Linux base proved to be much more difficult than expected. IceWM doesn't offer as much support or as many tools out-of-the-box as LXDE does. SliTaz Linux proves that LXDE can be extremely lightweight as well as user-friendly.

www.slitaz.org/en/doc/releases/4.0/relnotes.en.html wrote:

By default, the SliTaz LiveCD uses the very light and stable Openbox window manager. Openbox is widely themeable and configurable using the ObConf utility. The integration of the taskbar “LXpanel” makes it possible to dynamically provide a menu based on the Freedesktop standards. The principle is to have a small menu accessible via a screen click with the favorites, windows effects, LiveCD and LiveUSB tools, Openbox configuration and system actions made available. Applications can also be accessed through the menu supplied by LXpanel. The managment of the Desktop and icons are entrusted to the file manager PCmanFM.

Last edited by porkpiehat (2013-10-18 23:47:30)

#937 2013-10-18 23:52:05

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Sector11 wrote:
CSCoder4ever wrote:

I doubt you'll get an answer ... I'm surprised he's still here after Bobobex's comment in this thread

I think this is the fourth or so time I've read that thread and it makes me laugh every time  lol

#938 2013-10-19 00:08:39

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

anonymous wrote:

I think this is the fourth or so time I've read that thread and it makes me laugh every time  lol

Which one there are two ... Believe it or not I only just found the first one, it after reading the post here .. and you're right!  F*U*N*N*Y*!

I went looking because: Registered: 2011-01-22 - Posts: 4 so I figured --- easy reading.

If it's his "Great distro, needs default DE" tread - I agree --  F*U*N*N*I*E*R*!  but the original threads a good chuckle as well.

Last edited by Sector11 (2013-10-19 00:10:08)

#939 2013-10-19 01:00:30

ew
#! Die Hard

I could live with lxde, but I don`t see why we need it. If you want it, install it. And if your issue is the lack of a menu, then just enable the xfce-panels that are already installed in Crunchbang. There you get your applications-menu. Ugh!

Last edited by ew (2013-10-19 01:01:19)

- apt-mark hold account

#940 2013-10-19 05:20:52

pvsage
Internal Affairs

From swiftlinuxcreator's introductory thread:

mrpeachy wrote:

It will also be the most user friendly distro ever created.  All menus will contain pictures of kittens... or maybe puppies... actually when you install it I'll make that option selectable.  When you start up, depending on your selection, you will see a short video (15 minutes or so... which can't be closed or skipped) of cute kittens/puppies.  Guaranteed to cheer up even the grumpiest linux nerds!  In addition soft mewling/yipping noises play at all times while using the distro.

PONIES + nickering!!! devil

#941 2013-10-19 14:13:32

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

pvsage wrote:

PONIES + nickering!!! devil

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

#942 2013-10-20 00:53:00

aenemic

Make the base lighter, and the post-install script bigger, and branchier would be my two cents. Im still a bit new to #! but if I could change anything it would be that.

-- Games
---- Steam
---- 0ad
---- etc

-- Graphics
--- GIMP
--- Some 3d program

-- Web
--- You get my point.
---
etc, etc.

#943 2013-10-20 08:51:30

nore
>2^9

Puffing up the post install script with every possible application is not necessary. There are certain things, that an average or inexperienced user usually needs, like printer or wifi support. Special wishes, like favourite music players, 3D renderers and games, can be installed with help of the forums or a reborn wiki. There is a fat wide line between must have and nice to have.

#944 2013-10-20 09:22:31

damo
#! gimpbanger

nore wrote:

Puffing up the post install script with every possible application is not necessary. There are certain things, that an average or inexperienced user usually needs, like printer or wifi support. Special wishes, like favourite music players, 3D renderers and games, can be installed with help of the forums or a reborn wiki. There is a fat wide line between must have and nice to have.

+1

The current installation and post-install is more than adequate as an intro to #!  Those who know what they want/don't want also probably know how to apt-get install/remove.

As a general principle I'd prefer to see the iso on a cd, but I'm not fretting about it - if I want to go that route I'd learn about installing a barebones system and building it up.

I have a post-install script of my own which removes all the stuff I don't want, and gets all the stuff I do. I can't believe the fuss some people make about which apps should/shouldn't be in the iso, when it's so easy to add or remove them

Maybe folks could post their own post-install scripts here, then people could cherry pick the ones they want, if they can't be bothered with apt-get?

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#945 2013-10-20 12:32:02

nore
>2^9

damo wrote:

Maybe folks could post their own post-install scripts here, then people could cherry pick the ones they want, if they can't be bothered with apt-get?

Please do us a favor and post your script in a new thread. I'd like to see, what and how you have removed. It is usually easier to add than remove packages. (Removing a program may cause installing another, if there is a dependant package etc.)

#946 2013-10-20 19:03:57

RoysoN

Xchat: No
Pidgin: Yes

smile

#947 2013-10-20 21:04:44

Bradi
#! CrunchBanger

I'd say that we need MTP file transfer working out of the box, to go along with #!'s perfect wireless and codec support. Not sure how exactly this would be achieved, but it's an idea.

#948 2013-10-20 22:54:53

damo
#! gimpbanger

nore wrote:
damo wrote:

Please do us a favor and post your script in a new thread. I'd like to see, what and how you have removed. It is usually easier to add than remove packages. (Removing a program may cause installing another, if there is a dependant package etc.)

Posted in Tips,Tricks and Scripts: Personal post-install scripts

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#949 2013-10-21 11:52:49

elias

(35mb when apt-get install pidgin, ---> fckn 51 packages)
in my opinion we dont need to install programms normally installed by the user for personalisation,
its like gimp, libreoffice or icedove....
and i appreciate the near to debian-normal please dont change to systemd
the mos important thing for me:

++++better installation cd/dvd --> no rescue system found (not that difficult) 
--> the waldorf one is not usable for system recovery --> better use grub standalone ;-)
(recovery in live-desktop is useless when hardware is creepy)

++++root overlay partition(file is possible as well) (setting up through postinstallscript ) for securing root directories --> fckn awesome --> could be a reason to change to crunchbang

+chrunchbang repo mirror --> mine could be in germany
"+postinstall-script to change to sid"
+geany
+backupsystem written in bash (setting up through postinstallscript )working with cron for example with rsync and second partition or usb disk --> would be fckn awesome
+get the shortcuts to split windowsizes working on second screen 

forgot the rest i wanted to tell you
grelias

vpcsb1c5e+chrunchbang+fglrx+intelhd+sid/unstable+liquorix-kernel --> working great, yesterday

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#950 2013-10-21 12:05:07

tamikan
#! Die Hard

elias wrote:

chrunchbang repo mirror

+1 since we learned the hard way that the server can be under attack

Top things devil
dwb | Firefox Nightly | sakura | emacs | moc | #! | Arch | Doing 1 thing @ the time | Music from the 90s

Board footer