SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-16 17:27:26

Chooch
#! Member

Love For An OS! <3 #!

I just posted this as a blog entry on another forum. I'm posting it here, also, as it certainly constitutes feedback as to what I think of Crunchbang. I hope that I have done a good job of representing #!  therein.  I think I'm becoming a #! evangelist! It's the perfect OS....and unfortunately, doesn't seem to be getting the exposure that many lesser distros are getting. Wish I would have discovered it sooner!

Less Is More: CRUNCHBANG: Best OS On The Planet

You know how when you find something that is just so right- be it a woman; or a good pick-up truck; or a faithful dog- that you just know, early-on, that "it was meant to be"; and that you will be in it for the long-haul; and wonder how you ever lived without what it is that you've now found? Well, I now see that such a relationship can also apply to an operating system!

I had just come off of an LTR with Ubuntu. Ubuntu had changed, from the simple unfettered Maryanne I once knew, into a bloated Ginger whom I did not know anymore. I courted Debian for just a short interval- she was basically nice, but I was still left wanting....

Enter Crunchbang! -Debian's little sister. She's Debian....but without all the extraneous unnecessary trappings; and she's fit, agile and nimble. She aims to please.

So here's the deal: Crunchbang is essentially a minimal Debian install, with the venerable Openbox window-manager instead of a desktop environment...and a few little niceties, like Tint2 and Conky thrown in...all tied together and made functional with a minimal amount of software and some basic utilities- which culminates in giving you a system that is fast and light; and yet one that "just works" out-of-the-box; allows you to do what you need/want to do, while being pretty much invisible; comes with media codecs (including the "non-free" ones) and Flash already installed; uses all the Debian packages, as well as some of it's own; and, of course, is rock-solid stable!

All that, while, like a fine Eye-talian(Italian) bicycle or a finely-crafted watch, possessing a quiet, tasteful, understated beauty; an elegance that is at once simple and clean, and yet capable and powerful; The freedom to be whatever you want it to be, with the substance and structure to handle whatever you throw at it. The refrigerator on which to hang your artwork, while keeping your delicacies cold and safe inside!

The real beauty of it is: While it is not a distro specifically aimed at noobs (nor does it specifically seek to be overly user-friendly)- the fact is, that since it "just works" right out-of-the-box, a Linux noob like myself can use it quite easily. Basically, you can install it, and use it; do whatever work or engage in whatever entertainment you care to, without much thought- The only things that require a little effort, are tweaking the aesthetics- i.e. making the system your own and customizing the look and feel. Don't get me wrong- there are some GUI tools- but you will need to edit a few .xml/rc files- which should not be a problem....as after you've done it once, like anything else, it becomes second-nature, and you see that it is not a big deal. And the thing is, you don't HAVE to. I mean, as far as being a great-working OS, there's really nothing you have to do to it- it just freaking works; tweaking/customizing the aesthetics, is just an option that is there for you- and as I have discovered, it pays to take a few minutes to learn how to manually alter config files, because with such files, instead of GUI tools, one has much more freedom and far more choices, and thus, is enabled to do far more!

I find Crunchbang has just the right balance of GUI tools. It allows me to do whatever I NEED to do, without having to think about it, or take the time to learn something new...yet having to manually edit some files, or install desired software of my choosing, allows me the opportunity to get my hands a little dirty and actually learn- which is something I was missing in my three years of Ubuntu usage.

The kicker is: With Crunchbang, my 7 year-old computer is now running better and faster than it EVER has! Better than the day it was new! Although switching from Windows to linux was a great turning-point for me; and made computing much more pleasant....finding Crunchbang was the pinnacle of my computing experience- as NOTHING else has made such a difference in performance and speed; while also providing a beautiful environment; and offering unlimited power and stability, with everything I want..and nothing more. A beautiful minimalism, which is not spartan, or even merely functional, but one which can reflect YOU and be what you want it to be, with elegance; and without being packed with 8000 different apps, so that it can be what ever every person on the face of the entire earth wants it to be from the git-go, even though no person would ever use more than 2% of those apps! (That is where Windows and Ubuntu are...and where far too many Linux distros are heading these days)

In short, Crunchbang is a canvas which you can make into your own masterpiece...or just use it to paint a simple sign if you wish. Fast; sleek; and elegant. Accessible to noobs, quite easily, yet with the power and flexibility to be the province of many a geek.

This OS is just SO tastefully and thoughtfully done! While the Openbox WM takes a little getting used to if you've never encountered it before [Anyone who sees my computer now, thinks that I know what I'm doing, and that I'm a computer geek! big_smile] -there is just no going back, once you get acclimated to it! At first, being presented with a nearly-blank gray screen, I said to myself "WTH is this POS?!"; I booted back into Debian with Gnome and felt comfortably at-home again...but there was just something about Openbox! I had to try it again. 24 hours later, I no longer had any desire to boot-up Debian/Gnome! I quickly realized that Openbox allows one more freedom and efficiency; it's just a matter of taking a few hours to get used to it, and of learning your way around. It QUICKLY becomes second-nature, so that after only a day or two, if I booted-up Deb w/Gnome or LXDE, I felt like i was lost and mired in a quagmire of bloated menus and a never-ending endurance contest of pushing a pointer around a screen. Openbox is serenity and peace. Openbox in Crunchbang is one-better, as if you just install it, say, in another distro by itself, it seems a little bleak- but in Crunchbang, it has a few little (very small and light) pieces of baggage already onboard- like Tint2, to give it a minimal taskbar/panel..as well as some GUI tools, like Nitrogen, so that it is fully functional and capable; and able to be easily customizable, right from the git-go! The perfect balance!

Try it for yourself, to experience the beauty.

I've rambled- but such is love. Crunchbang and i will be together for as long as it remains unchanged and true to the vision of what it is. Beauty; freedom; elegance; efficiency. What more could you want? [Prior to trying Crunchbang, I was on the verge of trying Arch....but I found the idea of a rolling release, with it's constant need for updates, abhorrent! In my opinion, Crunchbang offers the power and efficiency of Arch, but is easier to install and use; while offering the stability of Debian. In short: Perfection!]

/rave

My sincere thanks to all who have worked to give us such a GREAT OS; and to all who participate on this forum.  I will be making a small donation!

Last edited by Chooch (2013-10-16 17:30:57)

CAUTION!    Linus may be quoted!!.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-10-16 17:39:06

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: Love For An OS! <3 #!

Hey, Chooch -- Feel like making it to Ohio Linux Fest next year if CrunchBang has a booth?

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#3 2013-10-16 17:40:34

tamikan
#! Die Hard

Chooch wrote:

You know how when you find something that is just so right- be it a woman; or a good pick-up truck; or a faithful dog- that you just know, early-on, that "it was meant to be"; and that you will be in it for the long-haul; and wonder how you ever lived without what it is that you've now found? Well, I now see that such a relationship can also apply to an operating system!

Such a nice intro smile

Top things devil
dwb | Firefox Nightly | sakura | emacs | moc | #! | Arch | Doing 1 thing @ the time | Music from the 90s

#4 2013-10-16 19:55:40

Chooch
#! Member

lcafiero wrote:

Hey, Chooch -- Feel like making it to Ohio Linux Fest next year if CrunchBang has a booth?

Wow.... Am I sounding like THAT much of a geek?! big_smile (I do wear thick glasses....)

I see myself more of a kind'a door-to-door Crunchbang Witness...

[Knocks on random door] "Hello! Would you please stop masturbating today; and could I talk to you today about a free Unix-like operating system?" big_smile

tamikan wrote:

Such a nice intro smile

Awww, thanks!

#5 2013-10-16 21:00:18

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

WOW! {standin' ovation}

Give the man a free all he can drink lifetime membership to the #! Coffee Shoppe.

Well said Chooch.  That red glow you see on the horizon is corenominal blushing.  big_smile

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#6 2013-10-16 21:38:27

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Welcome Chooch! enjoy the incredible #! distro!

also... I wish I could go to the Linux Fest.. too poor. lol

anyways, welcome!

#7 2013-10-17 00:33:34

saneks
#! Die Hard

be it a woman; or a good pick-up truck; or a faithful dog   

The refrigerator on which to hang your artwork, while keeping your delicacies cold and safe inside!

yikes errrr?

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#8 2013-10-17 21:05:01

Anakinholland
#! CrunchBanger

Eye-talian(Italian)

I see what you did thar...

Bon Journoh!! Be welcome, sit down, have some coffee smile

Use what you like. If you don't like it, improve it. If you can't, look for something else. || **Please read before posting** || Edit the first post in a topic and mark it [solved] if it has been.

#9 2013-10-18 14:36:02

Chooch
#! Member

Anakinholland wrote:

Eye-talian(Italian)

I see what you did thar...

Bon Journoh!! Be welcome, sit down, have some coffee smile

You mean....you can tell my grandparents were from Naples? smile

And thanks, CScoder and Sector11! Very happy to be here in Crunchy-land!

Sane-ks....hehe....I'm wonderin' about that refrigerator line myself! I t was late....

#10 2013-10-18 19:01:27

Anakinholland
#! CrunchBanger

Chooch wrote:

Hmz, I actually went with a Brad Pitt kind of thingy from Inglorious Basterds, but ah well... Nice town! ;-)

Use what you like. If you don't like it, improve it. If you can't, look for something else. || **Please read before posting** || Edit the first post in a topic and mark it [solved] if it has been.

#11 2013-10-20 15:37:10

Chooch
#! Member

Anakinholland wrote:
Chooch wrote:

Hmz, I actually went with a Brad Pitt kind of thingy from Inglorious Basterds, but ah well... Nice town! ;-)

Still trying to figure that one out... big_smile [I don't "get" most modern pop culture references, as I don't watch TV/go to movies/listen to the radio] On the other hand....if you had made reference to Seinfeld... smile

In other news:

Last night I spent about 2 hours watching CLI tutorials on Youtube....and I am LOVING this! I was able to put my new skills to use already this morning, as I was unable to delete files in the trash folder of my Walkman via GUI, for some reason- so I opened a terminal; logged in as root; navigated to that directory and did a rm -r ...and VIOLA[sic]!

In 2 seconds   via CLI I did what I couldn't do via GUI all morning!

#! inspired me to learn this stuff...which I should have learned 3 years ago, when I first started using Linux!  Next, I'm going to start dabbling in scripting!

#12 2013-10-21 00:37:43

QuantumTonto

this is really a great review .. i had few nice laughs .. and i agree .. i believe i have finally found my distro .. i rlly like the way things are laid out so that someone whos not a total geek can learn to be one .. ie: readily available config files accessible in the menu .. its really started opening me up to getting under the hood .. which i love .. and also the community ive found on the irc .. which i am also pretty noob to .. so all in all this has been a nice icebreaker for me from being a distro-hopper to getting involved in a great project and community .. so thanks to all involved in making this great  big_smile

#13 2013-10-21 02:32:27

Chooch
#! Member

QuantumTonto wrote:

this is really a great review .. i had few nice laughs .. and i agree .. i believe i have finally found my distro .. i rlly like the way things are laid out so that someone whos not a total geek can learn to be one .. ie: readily available config files accessible in the menu .. its really started opening me up to getting under the hood .. which i love .. and also the community ive found on the irc .. which i am also pretty noob to .. so all in all this has been a nice icebreaker for me from being a distro-hopper to getting involved in a great project and community .. so thanks to all involved in making this great  big_smile

Thank you!

I think your little review right there is better than mine! It pretty much says it all...and much more concisely than mine!

It's amazing- this Corenominal dude has really struck the PERFECT balance with this build! And it is so refreshing, after seeing the way that far too many distros are going these days. I know it's not a popularity contest; and I usually prefer to be in the off-beat minority...but in this case, I actually hope that #! gains a huge following, just to show the Linux community what users really want and appreciate (And that [hopefully] that is NOT the bloat; eye-candy; and dumbed-downedness of Windows and current Ubuntu...)

#14 2013-10-22 09:57:25

barneymatthews

I completely agree with this post.

#15 2013-10-22 17:21:26

Agnus
Website

Well put, Chooch! I guess many of us #! users have felt the very same thing. I did. Welcome to this very nice forum!

EDIT:

Chooch wrote:

...but in this case, I actually hope that #! gains a huge following, just to show the Linux community what users really want and appreciate (And that [hopefully] that is NOT the bloat; eye-candy; and dumbed-downedness of Windows and current Ubuntu...)

I think many of these distros have taken the wrong way. It seems like they want to show they're just as good as the other OSes and competing distros so they immitate and put some extra on top of that, thus the bloat. This may have been en vogue many, many years ago when Linux hit the mainstream but it has become an annoyance today. And if you really want it the KDE / GNOME / whatever way with all the apps installed you still can have it all. But I'm sure most #! people don't have.

Last edited by Agnus (2013-10-22 17:42:24)

All human evil comes from a single cause, man's inability to sit still in a room. -- Blaise Pascal

#16 2013-10-22 19:19:02

Chooch
#! Member

Agnus wrote:

I think many of these distros have taken the wrong way. It seems like they want to show they're just as good as the other OSes and competing distros so they immitate and put some extra on top of that, thus the bloat. This may have been en vogue many, many years ago when Linux hit the mainstream but it has become an annoyance today. And if you really want it the KDE / GNOME / whatever way with all the apps installed you still can have it all. But I'm sure most #! people don't have.

Exactly! It's getting to the point where you can't even tell most of the distros apart from each other anymore.  KDE comes with xyz programs; and Gnome comes with abc; and LXDE comes with.... well, what's the difference? No matter what distro they're being bundled with.....Gnome is Gnome; and LXDE is LXDE.....and if you sit someone down in front of a computer  with Gnome, can they really tell whether the underlying OS is Debian or Antix or Ubuntu or Mint? (Or even Arch or Salix, until and if they go vto use the package manager?).

And when you read/watch reviews of distros....half the time, the reviewer is just telling you what programs they come with. Who cares?! We can download and install any programs we want- and so easily, in Linux.....why not just give us a base system, and let us choose what we want? Oh...that's right...because about 90% of today's distros are redundant; and what they come with is their only distinguishing characteristic.

I mean, sheesh! If I wanted all that bloat, I would've just stuck with Windur!

When I first saw #!, and that it came with Openbox, instead of a DE, I said "Now there is something different; and something where they respect the user enough to let him make his own choices, rather than shoving a bunch of crap down your throat".

I must have looked at 100 different distros after I decided to ditch Ubuntu- and other than the few differences between the various branches, like package management and release strategy, I just couldn't believe how similar most of them were...and how they all came with a ton of stuff I'd never use.

As soon as i saw Crunchbang, i said "Wow! There's something different! This is for me! Just what I'm looking for; stable; light; fast; yet powerful; and totally customizable in every way".

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!

Board footer