SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-20 16:02:57

Laudan
#! CrunchBanger

Crunchbang's hit count is going up on distrowatch.com

I have noticed that lately Crunchbang's position has been climbing quite fast in distrowatch's hit parade (see right-most column on the distrowatch.com main page).  Today we are the the 13th position!! Not long ago we were at the 20th.
Is Crunchbang finally becoming mainstream?

Last edited by Laudan (2013-10-20 16:06:19)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-10-20 16:23:31

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Re: Crunchbang's hit count is going up on distrowatch.com

Laudan wrote:

Is Crunchbang finally becoming mainstream?

I'd hope not, otherwise I'd have to go to a different distro  monkey

Evil hipster side of me anyways lol.  devil

still good though, #! is an incredible distro!

#3 2013-10-20 18:52:58

g33zr
#! Die Hard

#! could move still higher--12 or 11--maybe even to 10? But I won't predict such a thing.  cool

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens. Curly Howard lol

OHCG | LXer | smxi

#4 2013-10-20 19:58:59

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

@Geezer, I would, its following debian, i'd say #3 in next 6 months.

#5 2013-10-20 20:25:28

Laudan
#! CrunchBanger

brontosaurusrex wrote:

That's being a bit too optimistic.

#6 2013-10-20 20:46:29

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

It's great that we're ranked in the teens, but bear in mind this, from the Distrowatch.com site:

"The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more."

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#7 2013-10-20 21:45:27

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Laudan wrote:
brontosaurusrex wrote:

That's being a bit too optimistic.

There are rare occasions where I was wrong as well, what is your prediction if any?

#8 2013-10-20 21:51:26

Laudan
#! CrunchBanger

brontosaurusrex wrote:

There are rare occasions where I was wrong as well, what is your prediction if any?

Well, I am not really interested in predictions, nor in the position itself, but in the trend. As I read it, Crunchbang is going strong!

#9 2013-10-21 02:32:10

intoCB
Scatweasel

The problem I have with words like "hipster" or "fanboy" is that they always seem to be used to attack somebody for liking something. They are loaded with apparent meaning and not easily proven/disproven although they are typically held by those who use them to be self-evident.

I seem to remember that Philip does not have as CrunchBang's #1 bug that Linux Mint is #1 on Distrowatch. But I might be wrong.

Another version of Windows is released. Could this be the year of the Windows desktop? No.

#10 2013-10-21 03:08:36

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Laudan wrote:

As I read it, Crunchbang is going strong!

You are right there, Laudan. Just the fact that we have a lot of folks looking at the distro is good in and of itself. And I can tell you that when I first started talking to groups and at expos about CrunchBang, I used to have a slide that said that #! was in the 20-to-40 range in DistroWatch. Now I can change that to say we're in the low teens.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

#11 2013-10-21 09:46:02

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

intoCB wrote:

The problem I have with words like "hipster" or "fanboy" is that they always seem to be used to attack somebody for liking something. They are loaded with apparent meaning and not easily proven/disproven although they are typically held by those who use them to be self-evident.

I seem to remember that Philip does not have as CrunchBang's #1 bug that Linux Mint is #1 on Distrowatch. But I might be wrong.

Whom exactly are you replaying? You have probably meant some other thread, because this looks like from outer-space smile

#12 2013-10-21 12:52:18

MALsPa
#! Member

Laudan wrote:

Today we are the the 13th position!!

Depends on which data span you look at. I like to see the 30-day data span, which has CrunchBang at #16 right now. But either way, I don't take those page hit rankings too seriously. It is what it is; I don't think I've ever seen Debian at #1, but all things considered, I'd say it's the top Linux distro.

#13 2013-10-21 16:01:16

intoCB
Scatweasel

brontosaurusrex wrote:
intoCB wrote:

Whom exactly are you replaying? You have probably meant some other thread, because this looks like from outer-space smile

Think it was about CSCoder4ever's comment. It made sense at the time.

Another version of Windows is released. Could this be the year of the Windows desktop? No.

#14 2013-10-21 16:30:23

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

I think something can be good and mainstream at the same time, and no, we don't have a bug number 1 (at least not that I know of).

Even with the DDoS, where #! has dropped to 24 in the 7-day list, it's still remarkable that we are this high in the rankings. It's shows how good the distro is, and how great a community we are.

#15 2013-10-21 16:35:07

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
Website

i have seen #! at 10 some months ago may be.

#16 2013-10-21 17:33:16

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

lcafiero wrote:

"They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more."

So Occam's Razor tells us people clicked on the page link because they liked the name and it made them curious to read the description  devil

#17 2013-10-21 18:08:30

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

kbmonkey wrote:
lcafiero wrote:

"They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more."

So Occam's Razor tells us people clicked on the page link because they liked the name and it made them curious to read the description  devil

Must be that.

#18 2013-10-21 18:31:43

Laudan
#! CrunchBanger

brontosaurusrex wrote:
kbmonkey wrote:
lcafiero wrote:

Must be that.

Even if indeed it was just that, it's a good thing. It means that the name is nice and attracts people. As we know, the marketing departments of companies spend millions of dollars to find the most attractive names, and legal battles are fought over commercial names.

Board footer