SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#201 2013-10-21 00:36:54

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

Re: DDoS Attack 2013-10-17 (resolved)

lcafiero wrote:
kd5ob wrote:

Well, even here in the Forums, they are not taking what Larry says that seriously...
That's what I was just told...

This is very, very true. big_smile

kid smile

Be excellent to each other!

#202 2013-10-21 00:38:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs

#!_828 wrote:

B: All I'm saying is, this is a very stressful time in the community. You've got Corenominal & his buddies in the UK practically sweating blood, the lines of communication between the admins & the rest of us are breaking down, Every 10 minutes, I'm practically on the verge of peeing my pants, we (at least those of us ouside of the inner circle) have no idea whose behind this or what they want, it's scary. As unlikely as it is, It seems I'm just prone to play devil's advocate, & I'm just praying that none of the higherups decide to call a White Knight & end it like that.

C: If worse does come to worse, you can rest assured that there'll be at least one person who didn't drink the Kool-Aid

Philip's far from sweating blood; he's doing the old-school meet-and-greet at some con or fest or other.  I sense no panic from him.  As for "his buddies"...I assume you're referring to Linode?  They don't seem overly concerned about this either.

The moderators are here and communicating with you.  One typed this message; we're all actively participating in this thread.

I too do not drink the Kool-Aid.

EDIT:  Actually, aside from this one thread, things are fairly laid back around here...so much so that we've resurrected an old joke thread to liven things up. monkey

Last edited by pvsage (2013-10-21 00:56:08)

#203 2013-10-21 00:40:37

ew
#! Die Hard

kd5ob wrote:

@ew:  I'm not certain, but I *think* having the CrunchBang repo down during that initial update causes some of the cb-* metapackages to break

That could be correct, but for me it`s just java that is relevant from the meta-packages, and I think I should be able to install java on my own. Besides, in a situation like this, or always actually, it could be an advantage if unskilled users didn`t install java...

- apt-mark hold account

#204 2013-10-21 01:02:20

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

pvsage wrote:
#!_828 wrote:

I love this community, it's one of the friendliest, most open, honest places I've been in quite a while, & I want nothing more than for it to remain that way.

This is the moderators' unanimous desire as well.

C: That's why I'm also uncomfortable with the notion of admins going around on mass-deletion purges, because the moment that the voice of one admin outweight the voice of ten average users, the community has been transformed into a police state

I assure you that there have never been any moderator- or admin-driven mass deletion purges on my watch.  (There was an incident a few years ago, before corenominal changed things so this is no longer possible, that a regular user started deleting many threads that he had started; with the exception of a period of a couple days, that was all restored from backups.)  Know that if such deletions were to happen I'd raise Holy Hell in the admin area to find out what was going on.

Thanks for all you do, I really appreciate it. My concern about the purges was in response to ew's suggestion that admins start getting serious about deleting "things that has no other agenda", which made me a bit uncomfortable. As far as the state of the community, I guess I was a bit misinformed by some of the snipets of conversations that've been going on. Also, to better explain my point of view, I've watched forums & BBSs go to Hell in a handbasket before, & I may have overreacted because I got that same kind of bad feeling from a couple of posts. All-in-all, & for the record, I'm not trolling, nor am I making baseless accusations. I believe in the saying "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". I also know that when they take down the guy with the sign yelling "The end is nigh!", that's when you run for the hills. I thank God for the fact that this has not happened, & I pray that it won't, because if the past 12 hours have been any indication, I'd probably be the among the first ones loaded into the proverbial cattle car.
(also, sorry for being so longwinded)

Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

#205 2013-10-21 01:02:25

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Or you can just do as the poster says:

keep_calm_and_wait_out_the_ddos.jpg

[NOTE: I am not responsible for the idiotic ads that the postimage.org site includes when clicking on the poster above.]

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#206 2013-10-21 01:04:50

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

#207 2013-10-21 01:07:25

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

pvsage wrote:
#!_828 wrote:

C: If worse does come to worse, you can rest assured that there'll be at least one person who didn't drink the Kool-Aid

s
The moderators are here and communicating with you.  One typed this message; we're all actively participating in this thread.

I too do not drink the Kool-Aid.

EDIT:  Actually, aside from this one thread, things are fairly laid back around here...so much so that we've resurrected an old joke thread to liven things up. monkey

Understood . . .

. . . . Standing down to DEFCON 3

#208 2013-10-21 01:12:37

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

#!_828 -- Keep this in mind: There are 28,128 threads in this forum, and possibly more are being made as I type this.

This thread is only one of them.

Sure, this one is probably the most active in the last 48 hours or so, but the fact remains that our community is a lot stronger than this temporary hardship that we have to overcome. And 28,127 threads bear me out on this.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

#209 2013-10-21 01:18:31

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

porkpiehat wrote:

Great job of taking my quote completely out of context
I most certainly am not being condescending, nor am I implying that the person to whom I was replying is doing anything wrong. pvsage was clearing up some misunderstandings I had, I was explaining what had lead me to that train of thought.
As I have said before, I love this community, it's one of the friendliest, most open, honest places I've been in quite a while, & I want nothing more than for it to remain that way. Nothing I've done has been to disorganize or distract from anything.

#210 2013-10-21 01:20:19

pvsage
Internal Affairs

(EDIT:  To add to what Larry posted above), this isn't the first disturbance within this forum.  We've weathered tihs-storms here - including the fallout from the attempted mass-delete - during my tenure here that make this look like a light drizzle.  This one is different in that it's driven by something that is entirely outside of our control, but that's precisely why I'm not worried about it having a lasting impact on our community; perhaps the best thing we can do regarding this is lurk moar.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-10-21 01:23:22)

#211 2013-10-21 01:20:25

titianmom
#! Member

For those who don't know what a DDoS Attack is, its not a hack.  Its when a network is flooded with traffic until it crashes (orchestrated by a nefarious person to intentionally crash a network, of course.)

I've been out of circulation for so long I forgot what a DDoS was. Asked my husband, a network guy.  He said at the place he works they pay an ISP to sense a DDoS and they're required to shut down traffic to their network if they id one coming in.  Doesn't always work, tho.  Some losers are smart enough to circumvent it and find a weak machine inside the network and crash it.  Happened to one of their mail servers, an older machine.

Thought the info might help those who are wondering what's happening.  I'm guessing Linode is still trying to clean up  the mess on all of their servers, not just Crunchbang's.  I went to wikipedia to find out about Linode, a privately-owned cloud-hosting provider.  Went on to explain some of the other problems they've had over the past few years.  Probably common with most hosting sites.

Anyways, we just have to sit back and wait.  In the mean time, I set up my old desktop to dual boot 2 distros and share a common data directory with great success.  I just created a /data partition and dumped my data directories from my home acct in /data, then make symbolic links from /data/<dir> to my home acct/<dir>.  Put the UUID in my new fstab without any tabs and invisible characters anywhere (used vi to be safe), and it worked just great.    I did it this way to avoid messing up applications and their special dot files that ea distro has.   Of course, you have to make sure that each /etc/passwd & group file's user acct(s) have the same numbers.

Time well spent, right? smile  But I'm on yet another laptop with Mint installed, LOL.  FWIW, I've been having problems with the repositories on Ubuntu, also.  My last upgrading didn't go so well (last night).  I'm wondering if Ubuntu is having issues, too. ??

Kim

T530: Mint 17 & CrunchBang, 13-yo Dell Dimension 4550: CrunchBang, T42: CrunchBang, Dell D420: Mint 15 running hot and dying.  Finally, an x-gamer machine with the works, but a really lousy Broadcom wireless card, alas.  Also have genius network eng hubby, one spoiled rotten 10lb poodle who lets us live here, and one spoiled rotten 17-yo in college.

#212 2013-10-21 01:21:51

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Guys -- let's take a breather here, OK?

#213 2013-10-21 01:27:09

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I agree; it looks like many of us could use a time-out.

#214 2013-10-21 01:38:15

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

lcafiero wrote:

Agreed, standing down to DEFCON 4

#215 2013-10-21 02:04:58

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

#!_828 wrote:
lcafiero wrote:

Agreed, standing down to DEFCON 4

While this may possibly be a bit random, to help us all regain our nerves, let's enjoy this picture of a Mack Snow Ghost from the Leopard Gecko Wiki wink

Mack Snow Ghost

& pray that the DDoS ends soon, so we can carry on with our #!-ing lives

Last edited by #!_828 (2013-10-21 02:06:23)

#216 2013-10-21 02:42:58

titianmom
#! Member

Have you given him a name?

I've been thru enough server crashes and all nighters that this doesn't bother me much....Kim

T530: Mint 17 & CrunchBang, 13-yo Dell Dimension 4550: CrunchBang, T42: CrunchBang, Dell D420: Mint 15 running hot and dying.  Finally, an x-gamer machine with the works, but a really lousy Broadcom wireless card, alas.  Also have genius network eng hubby, one spoiled rotten 10lb poodle who lets us live here, and one spoiled rotten 17-yo in college.

#217 2013-10-21 03:21:49

tlinsley
#! Member

I have theory as to whom has perpetrated this chronic DDoS attack...

I believe it is the revenge of someone who has suffered the horrible agony of Slim eating their music.   devil

#218 2013-10-21 03:32:46

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

tlinsley wrote:

I believe it is the revenge of someone who has suffered the horrible agony of Slim eating their music.   devil

DAMN!!! lol lol lol

#219 2013-10-21 04:58:56

jensenbox
Website

I go out and get some groceries, play with the kids, come back and find that I am part of a coup? I am actually and truly laughing out loud (a little).

I am a solutions guy - if I think I have a solution, I push it until someone shuts me up. I am not affiliated with Cloudflare, not even the slightest other than I use them for my site and love what they have done for my server workload.

There is no way for me to get a payback or anything - consider also the fact that I was pushing for the free plan.

I now have a much clearer picture of the land known as #! - I see that there is a single entity at the top. One that is to be admired and also at the same time to be helped but only if help is wanted.

It is with 100% of my heart that I thank corenomial for his efforts and ingenuity. No doubt that he has contributed significant portions of his life and money to this product.

I am sorry for any wasted foil used for hats, I am sorry for any conspiracies I may have just busted.

I promise, not to utter another word pushing a shift to Cloudflare other than what is in this post.

To pitch this one last and final time.... Cloudflare is like a reverse proxy on steroids. They advertise geo-distributed IP addresses using their own DNS (you give them control of your DNS) any request that they cannot satisfy with a cached item, the go to the origin server and grab it and cache it if the right headers are set or it is one of their 'static' file extensions. Layered in front of that is their DDoS protection and some other bits that allow faster page loading. The part I think will solve this is the part where they foot all the front end traffic. To accomplish the entire switch would be an export of the the current zone file and change the IP addresses of the servers to something not publically known.

In the long run, this shift should also make updates faster globally as the load will be brought closer to the last mile.

Amazon Cloudfront does almost the same except they charge you out the yinyang when you get a DDos.

With much gratitude and appreciation for the entire community - I will shut the hell up now.

#220 2013-10-21 05:44:04

Anjou

I picked a helluva time to come back to #!

#221 2013-10-21 05:46:49

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Ya did, Anjou. big_smile  Welcome back!

#222 2013-10-21 06:22:29

xskoulax

Winston Churchill has this situation covered. "If you're going through hell, keep going."

The fact is this DDoS is a inconvenience, and that is all. This community is too strong to succumb to this behaviour. If this attack and the one that proceeded it are indeed directed at this community, rather than us being collateral, the attacker will tire of their efforts or the community will find a suitable solution to neutralise them.  If it is just a random attack they will eventaually get bored and move on to something else. Regardless of the exact nature of this DDoS it will eventually subside and when it does this community will still be here helping eachother out and waiting for the next release.

Last edited by xskoulax (2013-10-21 06:23:18)

#223 2013-10-21 10:11:36

vekt0r7

I would like to run SMXI to install the proprietary ATI drivers for my graphics card, but SMXI just stops at the "apt-get update" part beacuse it can't communicate with the CrunchBang servers. Is there any fix for that?

I know I can install the ATI drivers myself, but that is too burdensome because I'm new to Linux.

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17948&p=1

smxi
For real, save yourself the trouble and let smxi do the work for you. It couldn't be easier. If you have a wireless card, edit your connection, tick the box that says "Available to all users" and "connect automatically". Now drop to a tty, and run this:

#224 2013-10-21 10:22:44

damo
#! gimpbanger

^ comment out the crunchbang lines in your sources.list, as described elsewhere in this thread. Re-enable them after things return to normal

Be excellent to each other!

#225 2013-10-21 10:38:57

xskoulax

Vekt0r7 if you need them instructions for commenting out the repo are below.

In a terminal do this.

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

after giving it your password you should see the following at the top of the file.

## CRUNCHBANG
## Compatible with Debian Wheezy, but use at your own risk.
deb http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf waldorf main
#deb-src http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf waldorf main

if you put a # at the begining of the line that reads deb http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf waldorf main
and then exit with ctrl+x it will ask you if you would like to save hit Y and then hit enter to confirm the file name.

Then run smxi and you should be golden.

Board footer