SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-11 03:38:43

kurtosis

Hola

Hi all, long time Ubuntu Desktop user here, been on 12.04LTS since it came out and am a little apprehensive about where Ubuntu is going. 

Waiting till 14.04LTS next spring, and then will evaluate and decide whether to make a move to a different distro, but starting to familiarize myself with the alternatives now.

Window Managers/DE's don't affect me much since I keybind everything and use Vim plugins on everything, so Unity vs Gnome vs X vx Y etc. is a tempest in a teacup for me.  I'm just not interested in Canonical selling my desktop activity to Amazon, etc.  Even if I can turn off the defaults, it's just one more thing I don't want to have to think about.

I love the Debian ecosystem and am 90% sure I'll stick with it, though I'll give Fedora, OpenSuse, and Arch a fair shake too.  If I stick with a Debian distro, only thing I think I'll miss from Ubuntu is the PPA system, but I think between normal repo's and the Debian Alternatives tools I can live without it.

Crunchbang looks great, and the OpenBox desktop looks beautiful, love the dark grey background & light grey windows theme, and system info on the desktop.  Will look forward to playing around with it.

Anyway, I don't have much more to post about, main idea in creating this account was just to be able to lurk and learn for a few months.  Hope I don't get deleted for lack of posting, as warned about in the registration page!

Thanks to both the maintainers and community for what looks like a really solid distro.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-11-11 05:29:53

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Hola

Welcome to the forums smile  (I lurked for months before "coming out")

Quite a lot of us here are ex-Ubuntu, ex-Mint - loving the lean mean crunchbang machine. Sounds like you are a cli kind of a guy, in which case why bother with the bloat and the bling? big_smile

You can still use ppa's with great care if you are familiar with dependencies (which I'm not btw), but I may get shot for saying that around here!

#3 2013-11-11 05:44:07

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Welcome Kurtosis! Enjoy the incredible #! distro!

#4 2013-11-11 06:13:30

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang, kurtosis, and hope you enjoy the distro!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#5 2013-11-11 16:54:55

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

@ kurtosis  Check the users list to see the number of "1" posters there are.  You're safe.

And welcome to #! - lurk all you want ... we'll grow on you anyway. It isn't a "requirement" to be using #! to join our forum.  Only thing we frown on is Windows and Mac users ... and I'm joking about that too!  Lot's of Mac and Windows people here dual booting with #!.

Guess you could say the #! forums is like the Heinz of Linux forums .... you know 57 varieties.  big_smile

Last edited by Sector11 (2013-11-11 16:55:20)

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#6 2013-11-11 17:29:29

vic
#! by Default

Welcome to the #!forums, just come in, kick back, have something to drink, and #!

Time to move on!#

Casual - A nano opera

#7 2013-11-11 18:19:21

Hadrianvs

kurtosis wrote:

Anyway, I don't have much more to post about, main idea in creating this account was just to be able to lurk and learn for a few months.  Hope I don't get deleted for lack of posting, as warned about in the registration page!

Et tu, Brute?
I see you like to live dangerously smile

Srsly, I am also a lurker extraordinare (or mediocre, but a lurker nonetheless) smile)

Welcome, feel good, code or lurk, there is something here for everyone.

Salve!

Honeste vivere, neminem (altervm non) laedere, svvm cvique tribvere.

#8 2013-11-11 18:28:01

Yoyo
Website

Hola, bienvenido  smile

CrunchBang 11 Waldorf 32bits

#9 2013-11-11 22:10:05

kurtosis

Thanks all!

damo wrote:

Quite a lot of us here are ex-Ubuntu, ex-Mint - loving the lean mean crunchbang machine. Sounds like you are a cli kind of a guy, in which case why bother with the bloat and the bling? big_smile

Indeed.  I tried switching to XMonad and i3 a while back, but Spotify and maybe something else was borked in them, so stuck with vanilla Gnome and later Unity 2D. 

But definitely looking forward to seeing how the lightweight DE's like OpenBox, xfce, and lxde have progressed in the past few years.

damo wrote:

You can still use ppa's with great care if you are familiar with dependencies (which I'm not btw), but I may get shot for saying that around here!

I've heard about that never tried it.  Will look into more.  I think the Debian Alternatives system can handle everything I use PPA's for (usually just more current versions of what's in the Deb repos), albeit with more work up front.  Will figure that out later.

Board footer