SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#276 2013-11-10 18:42:40

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

^^Then another definition of community should be cited other than one that defines a community in terms of "shared characteristics or interests".

Be excellent to each other!

#277 2013-11-10 18:42:58

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

What anonymous said. Where in that definition does it say that we have to agree, or more importantly, what part of "common interests" (in this case, CrunchBang) don't you understand?

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#278 2013-11-10 18:45:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@dura:  [EDIT:  What anonymous said.]

@bobobex:  I apologize if that felt like a personal attack; I meant it in the same spirit as the blogpost intoCB linked to, and could probably have worded it better than I had...although from that last phrase, I probably couldn't have worded it much better. ops

The GTK 3.8 thing keeps popping up.  A patch had been posted a while ago...kinda puzzled as to why it hasn't made its way into a package update.

Last edited by pvsage (2013-11-10 18:46:59)

#279 2013-11-10 18:47:00

dura
Bloated Gimp

As already noted lcafiero. "shared" usually equates with not opposing, and this is the sense you used the term "shared".

I understand the phrase "common interests" but you seem to have not noticed that throughout this thread you have undermined the publicised interests of a long standing member, ew, and defined them as not being 'common' throughout the community yet without recourse to asking the 'community' whether such interests are common or not...

#280 2013-11-10 18:52:16

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

So you say, dura.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#281 2013-11-10 19:28:58

intoCB
Scatweasel

@dura - The accusation of "marketing" is unfounded. There is no market and therefore nothing to market. There might be some well-intentioned pro-CrunchBang hype but marketing implies commercial interests and Corenominal's commercial interests are better served by robbing a bank.

Last edited by intoCB (2013-11-10 19:34:35)

#282 2013-11-10 19:43:34

ew
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

After reading ew's latest post or two, I think I understand what he is concerned about. Its not necessarily that CrunchBang is boring but rather that it may die. Sure new versions of Debian Stable are released roughly every 24 months, but what happens to #! if Corenominal has no time for it or otherwise loses interest? It would be a sad day when/if #! meets the same fate as SolusOS for example.

Finally. Someone who got it. You are spot on.

- apt-mark hold account

#283 2013-11-11 06:22:32

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

hxxp://s17.postimg.org/hygugfdqn/tumblr_mfwogdo_Pr_V1qzt4vjo1_500.gif

(note: had to edit that (flashy gif), sorry hhh! - chillicampari)

forum mod squad

#284 2013-11-11 16:42:43

snowpine
#!-a-roo

dura wrote:

This is not a community!

Please file under 'Feedback'.

Provocatively stated!

Lots of good feedback in this thread, I hope the mods/owners are realizing how diverse and wonderful are our family-friendly rainbow viewpoints.  smile

Last edited by snowpine (2013-11-11 21:12:12)

/hugged

#285 2013-11-11 23:00:40

ew
#! Die Hard

snowpine wrote:
dura wrote:

This is not a community!

Please file under 'Feedback'.

Provocatively stated!

Lots of good feedback in this thread, I hope the mods/owners are realizing how diverse and wonderful are our family-friendly rainbow viewpoints.  smile

big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#286 2013-11-11 23:44:23

ew
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

@dura - The accusation of "marketing" is unfounded. There is no market and therefore nothing to market. There might be some well-intentioned pro-CrunchBang hype but marketing implies commercial interests and Corenominal's commercial interests are better served by robbing a bank.

Well, I guess that applies for me too. Which bank should we do?  lol

- apt-mark hold account

#287 2013-11-12 05:37:47

intoCB
Scatweasel

^Oh I wouldn't waste your time with banks these days. Computer crime is the way to go. If you like the idea of staring at the wall in a sturdy compact room in the company of sturdy compact men with scars on their faces and nicoteen-stained fingers.

Last edited by intoCB (2013-11-12 05:38:52)

#288 2013-11-12 05:46:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Geezer wrote:

Philip can take his time with updating and release the next stable version of #! when he deems it ready. That's good enough for me.  big_smile

Me too.

However, I really hope that if the day ever came that Philip no longer had the time or inclination to continue all the work he puts into this, that he would also put some thought into how #! could continue as a community-based distro.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#289 2013-11-12 13:04:03

ew
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

^Oh I wouldn't waste your time with banks these days. Computer crime is the way to go. If you like the idea of staring at the wall in a sturdy compact room in the company of sturdy compact men with scars on their faces and nicoteen-stained fingers.

Not to found of the idea of the last part, but if it is in a norwegian prison then it wouldn`t be so bad, because it`s like a vacation on a hotel with cable-tv. Not anything like the US-prisons. I would miss my dogs and my wife though. Probably in that order. Nope just kidding. Of course I also would miss my car lol

Last edited by ew (2013-11-12 13:04:34)

- apt-mark hold account

#290 2013-11-12 13:39:53

ew
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:
Geezer wrote:

Philip can take his time with updating and release the next stable version of #! when he deems it ready. That's good enough for me.  big_smile

Me too.

However, I really hope that if the day ever came that Philip no longer had the time or inclination to continue all the work he puts into this, that he would also put some thought into how #! could continue as a community-based distro.

Me too. It`s not like I want to tell him what to do. I just take the consequences for my own part and get my entertainement elsewhere.

People hear me as if I am talking bad about being stable and boring, but that`s not the case. Most of us needs at least one stable system, regardless whether it`s a production system, a server or something else. But a community can not be about a release like that, because there hardly is anything to say about a release that just works. It does it`s job, like a loaf of bread. We need it, but it ain`t all that exciting. I would much rather talk about beer, booze or a big hamburger. Even if it isn`t that healthy and useful to my functional needs. Do you get my point now? Keep the main release stable and safe with the best ootb-experience possible, but add some other projects that people can play with. I don`t want to change Crunchbang, I just want to add to it.

My logic is that if I have something fun to play with here, I would hang here and also answer support-questions now and then. But if I go to another more entertaining distro I will gradually hang less and less here, so after a while I wouldn`t be ready to answer questions, because it could be weeks apart each time I visit Crunchbang. The distro works without the community and I have no need to come here to get help running and configuring Crunchbang. Not any more, and that`s the problem.

If I stay more and more elsewhere it isn`t a problem for #!. But some people here pretend that I`m the only one that`s thinking like this, and that`s simply not the case. There are more like me than there are people that doesn`t want it to be fun and entertaining. But that doesn`t mean that we can`t be serious. Most people want both. Sometimes being serious and on topic, and other times just playing around having fun. So if you look aside the 5-6 most loyal members of this community, then I don`t think that I`m so much the odd one out, as lcafiero seems to think.

I don`t know if this makes any more sense than my previous babble. Anyway, there is no need for Crunchbang to change for my part. I`ll manage just fine having fun elsewhere. But if feedback is asked for, then I don`t think that it`s wise for Crunchbang to present itself as a "pleasently boring distro", and a equally boring community. But that`s just me. Phillip and Cruncbang does whatever it wants, and I`m perfectly fine with every possible outcome. Ẁith thousands of distros and even the possibilty to make our own, it isn`t like we have to be in any given distro. We always have options elsewhere.

Last edited by ew (2013-11-12 21:40:32)

- apt-mark hold account

#291 2013-11-12 15:05:36

damo
#! gimpbanger

@ew

I don`t know if this makes any more sense than my previous babble.

Yes it does - well-argued, well-presented, very hard to disagree with smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#292 2013-11-12 17:21:16

anonymous
The Mystery Member

ew wrote:

My logic is that if I have something fun to play with here, I would hang here and also answer support-questions now and then. But if I go to another more entertaining distro I will gradually hang less and less here, so after a while I wouldn`t be ready to answer questions, because it could be weeks apart each time I visit Crunchbang.

I can relate to this all too well and hence why I am no longer mod and mostly stay in the Off-Topic section.

ew wrote:

The distro works without the community and I have no need to come here to get help running and configuring Crunchbang. Not any more, and that`s the problem.

So why is it a problem? I think its fine to change interests and discover new communities.

#293 2013-11-13 00:17:58

saneks
#! Die Hard

hm. I see you like to post a lot in this thread, @ew, you want to tell something and talk about it and don't just rant and leave - and I like that..

for me, I am perfectly fine with #! at it is. you want some more action, just have a look at the suggestions for janice thread and write something that people demand. - if you want to solve problems in the system (which is pleasantly boring, cause mostly everything works smoothly), well, maybe this distro is just too stable.. so have a look around and play with some more bleeding edge distros.. and come back to the forum for fun and talk and whenever you deem necessary.  (no intent here to send you away)

I am fine with as it is now.. situation now is probably similar as the time before the last release (statler to waldorf) .. once the beta of waldorf turned up, the forum was buzzing..

I dont mind "boring" times just because our #! systems run great, and we dont have to fix millions of bugs - no, we can talk about food, music and coffee instead in offtopic, help the newbies - and if you want to participate and give to the community, find something that needs to be done and do something about it.. people are doing sub700 images, powersaving scripts, tweaks and a lot of other stuff happens here.. just find the thing you want to improve, find folks to collaborate with and do it. and it will be appreciated for sure and if it fits, corenominal will probably implement it. - I try 3-4 new distros each month, because I am interested in Linux development, but I dont feel like I need to use them, because I am fine here.

(edit: we entered an all new discussion here that has nothing to do with forum moderation.. maybe we should find a good title and create a new thread?)

Last edited by saneks (2013-11-13 01:12:55)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#294 2013-11-13 01:44:35

damo
#! gimpbanger

saneks wrote:

(edit: we entered an all new discussion here that has nothing to do with forum moderation.. maybe we should find a good title and create a new thread?)

^ Suggestion here ^

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#295 2013-11-13 02:22:48

ew
#! Die Hard

Well, we`ll see. I`m not at all bored now, I have lots of different projects going on elsewhere. The hard thing is actually to prioritize, because the projects are lining up and I`m working on 3 of them at the same time. So lots of fun things to do. But now I`ll have to go back to work. No time for chat. The install I`m doing right now makes me smile more and more, from being quite discouraged and tempted to bang my head in the wall at the beginning. Just as it should be big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#296 2013-11-13 02:37:14

saneks
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

... The install I`m doing right now makes me smile more and more, from being quite discouraged and tempted to bang my head in the wall at the beginning. Just as it should be big_smile

maybe if you wanted that, crunchbang was not what you expected..

and yeah, I checked your suggestion to a new link, since you linked your link of your post to your reply to my post about a new link which was a reply to you.., but why dont you just open up that link new topic and have a more exciting time here.. this was one page ago and I am all confused now.

edit: I am so confused that I did not see that @damo provided the link to the link to new yet unknown thread

Last edited by saneks (2013-11-13 02:50:35)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#297 2013-11-13 12:43:35

ew
#! Die Hard

saneks wrote:
ew wrote:

... The install I`m doing right now makes me smile more and more, from being quite discouraged and tempted to bang my head in the wall at the beginning. Just as it should be big_smile

maybe if you wanted that, crunchbang was not what you expected..

and yeah, I checked your suggestion to a new link, since you linked your link of your post to your reply to my post about a new link which was a reply to you.., but why dont you just open up that link new topic and have a more exciting time here.. this was one page ago and I am all confused now.

edit: I am so confused that I did not see that @damo provided the link to the link to new yet unknown thread

Link? I haven`t posted any links, and I haven`t moved to that link, nor checked it out, because I see no point in further debating changes in Crunchbang, as there will not be any.... I have pretty much said what I wanted to say, and are having fun elsewhere. I`m way to busy to have time to continue suggesting changes that I always knew wouldn`t happen..., and if people think that I want to discuss beer, women, cars or burgers, then they are way off. I want to be engaged in actual linux-stuff, but then there has to be something to do. That`s simply not the case in Crunchbang, and after pointing that out, I`m taking the control and doing it elsewhere.

My points in this thread are simply advices that might help Crunchbang stay as successfull as it has been, but if the developer and the staff doesn`t want to listen, but continue as it is now and with whatever vision they might have, then it`s fine by me. There isn`t a distro that will be sufficient to me, as I don`t need a distro. If I have a small debian base, then I`m all set, and I might just as well do it from a debian netinstall, as from Crunchbang. To me Waldorf isn`t anything other than any other base. I comment out the Crunchbang repos, I don`t use any of the default themes, icons or backgrounds. I don`t use the kernel, not the conky, not abiword or gnumeric, not iceweasel, nor do I use the default tint2... I could continue for days. The only thing that`s left of the default Crunchbang is the taskbar splitted into two virtual desktops as the original setup is. The last part is the only thing that`s uniqe to me, so that`s my Crunchbang signature. Pretty much anything else is open for change.

But now I`m signing off this thread. I`m finished. Nothing more to say smile

- apt-mark hold account

#298 2013-11-13 17:46:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

bobobex wrote:

I personally find some of the comments on here about his lack of commitment/time to the forums, or lack of action on "developing" the distro further quite hurtful and inconsiderate, but then I guess I'm probably being very over-protective of my husband and of his distro.

Becky, I don't think you need to take such comments quite so hard. The vast majority of people on this thread, and in the forum in general, are very appreciative of all that Philip has done, both in creating CrunchBang and in getting this community off the ground. But there's the rub - the great atmosphere here a couple of years ago owed a lot to his humour and efforts to make everyone feel appreciated. Now with the best will in the world the hugely expanded membership makes that kind of personal touch much more difficult, on top of having a life outside of the computer (as we all do). If now and then people hanker for the golden days, it really isn't an attack on Philip, rather the opposite. smile

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#299 2013-11-13 18:43:51

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Well said John!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#300 2013-11-16 03:10:46

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

hhh wrote:

note: had to edit that to a link (flashy gif), sorry hhh! - chillicampari)

No problem, I forgot about epilepsy. But you axed my 'mind blown' gif too.

Poor moderating!!! smile smile neutral neutral big_smile big_smile yikes yikes tongue tongue tongue cool cool angel angel angel devil monkey ops ops ops wink wink  minkey

gawd the slob is right, that stuff is played.

forum mod squad

Board footer