SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-23 20:51:35

ew
#! Die Hard

Re: Invitation to LinuxQuestions.org

pvsage wrote:

While I agree with corenominal on this, I wonder if this attitude might be a little too insular, and if the community and distro might benefit from exposure to a broader audience.
/Devil's Advocate

Crunchbang can`t benefit from a broader audience. How could it?

- apt-mark hold account

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2014-01-23 20:56:37

anonymous
The Mystery Member

More people to answer questions? Or perhaps (multiple) different answers to a question?

#28 2014-01-23 21:05:50

ew
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

More people to answer questions? Or perhaps (multiple) different answers to a question?

Perhaps. But it could also just get more confusing for the newbies.

- apt-mark hold account

#29 2014-01-23 21:43:36

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Confusing in what way? Whatever the case, there could be a stickied thread to clarify the forum's relation to the original #! forum.

#30 2014-01-23 21:50:49

MALsPa
#! Member

ew wrote:
pvsage wrote:

While I agree with corenominal on this, I wonder if this attitude might be a little too insular, and if the community and distro might benefit from exposure to a broader audience.
/Devil's Advocate

Crunchbang can`t benefit from a broader audience. How could it?

More donations?

#31 2014-01-24 00:13:29

ew
#! Die Hard

MALsPa wrote:

More donations?

Nope. Why should they? Corenominal will create the distro for himself whether he gets paid or not. I have donated to him myself a couple of times, but that was before it was made clear to me that he only made it for himself, and gracefully lets us use it as is.

Make Crunchbang more like a community-driven project, or at least have a more democratic structure than now, and I`ll donate more. But I`m not going to donate to a one-man distro, where I have absolutely no influence on the finished result. Not even allowed to give honest feedback or be critical to the developer or his vision, without someone shutting the lights lol

- apt-mark hold account

#32 2014-01-24 01:28:55

anonymous
The Mystery Member

^ is that part of your humour or is that how you really think about donations? With you, I cannot tell which it is yikes

#33 2014-01-24 02:25:03

ew
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

^ is that part of your humour or is that how you really think about donations? With you, I cannot tell which it is yikes

A bit of both. I`m not all that impressed about what other people have learned me about Corenominals intensions and visions. And I only donate to projects that I like. Actually, their defence made me like it even less roll

Last edited by ew (2014-01-24 03:01:45)

- apt-mark hold account

#34 2014-01-24 02:33:06

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Ew, this is the Open Source world. There is nothing, absolutely nothing stopping you from creating the distro and/or the community that you want to see. smile

#35 2014-01-24 02:35:16

zbreaker
#! CrunchBanger

^
Each to their own.

I accept #! for what it is. And what it is has been readily laid out for all of us by corenominal. It fits my requirements flawlessly..i have donated. If ones needs or requirements for developmental inclusion are not realized, well, the road stretches before you. There's no
looking back. lots and lots of distros out there cool

H-ohcg

#36 2014-01-24 03:16:49

MALsPa
#! Member

Anyway... I don't believe a CrunchBang sub-forum at LQ would hurt anything. It could possibly help to increase donations, it could help make more people aware of CrunchBang, and it might be nice for users who enjoy being part of both communities. If corenominal doesn't feel like it's worth his time, though, then that's cool.

Kinda surprising to me that some CrunchBang users and forum members don't like the idea. Whatever.

#37 2014-01-24 03:25:15

anonymous
The Mystery Member

ew wrote:

A bit of both. I`m all for donations to developers that develops stuff mainly for the benefit of a community or a group of people, but I`m not into just passively donating to people who develops just for themselves.

Why can't it be both? Sometimes people develop programs to solve a particular problem and then decide to share that program with the world. Who cares if the program just started as a personal project for the author?

#38 2014-01-24 03:40:46

ew
#! Die Hard

chillicampari wrote:

Ew, this is the Open Source world. There is nothing, absolutely nothing stopping you from creating the distro and/or the community that you want to see. smile

I`ve already created a distro for me. And I could throw together a new one each day if I wanted to. I have a couple in my head, that I`m preparing for as we speak.  A Ubuntu/openbox-spin, and a Debian/mate-spin.

But don`t worry. I accept the situation, and are quite indifferent to what happens with Crunchbang. I`m past the point where I need someone to put packages together for me, and the visual aspects always needs fixing anyway. As long as Debian, Ubuntu and the other big ones are there, so that I can create my distros based on them,  and use their repos, I`m pretty much all set.

But even if the future to #! are quite indifferent to me, I still will have a opinion about how it should be, as I also would have with any other distro, and pretty much about anything really. You would be surprised about the things that I could have an opinion about, or the things that I pretend to have an opinion about. Most of the time I swim upstream. It`s my nature smile

Last edited by ew (2014-01-24 03:42:39)

- apt-mark hold account

#39 2014-01-24 03:53:12

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Ew, you're smart. You obviously have free time. If you have a distro spin, or more, and could throw one together every day if you could, perhaps you should look for like-minded people to contribute, start community building and strive for your personal best. I think that will make you much happier in the long run than you are here. smile

#40 2014-01-24 05:48:21

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

You would be surprised about the things that I could have an opinion about,

How do you feel about Doughnuts.. ?  smile

As with Sector11 and ew I too have been a member of linuxquestions forum for many years.
However I joined it strictly for a Slackware forum as Slackware does have a standard forum just a mailing list..
Not a big thing to have additional #! forums Debian does...
As for me though I like my #! right here. You can't improve on the Original..

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#41 2014-01-24 22:01:29

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

No point in splitting up this great community. It would be downhill from there and why scatter solutions over several places? Besides, I like this colour scheme better, too.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#42 2014-01-24 22:45:16

saneks
#! Die Hard

if someones wants to find our forum, they sure will.
it won't hurt to have a #! section on LQ, but I doubt I will spend much time there, since the forumcolors are much too bright.. cool
other than that, why not.

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#43 2014-01-25 00:31:57

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

Nope. Why should they? Corenominal will create the distro for himself whether he gets paid or not. I have donated to him myself a couple of times, but that was before it was made clear to me that he only made it for himself, and gracefully lets us use it as is.

Make Crunchbang more like a community-driven project, or at least have a more democratic structure than now, and I`ll donate more. But I`m not going to donate to a one-man distro, where I have absolutely no influence on the finished result. Not even allowed to give honest feedback or be critical to the developer or his vision, without someone shutting the lights lol

Although Core may create the distro for his own use, it costs money to host the site.  Additionally, maybe enough donations will enable Core to travel to a Debian dev conference or something similar.  I'll continue to gladly donate to such a fine Linux distro.

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

#44 2014-01-25 00:33:21

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Barnabyh wrote:

... and why scatter solutions over several places?

Good point, Barnabyh.  wink

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

#45 2014-01-25 01:25:21

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Barnabyh wrote:

No point in splitting up this great community. It would be downhill from there and why scatter solutions over several places? Besides, I like this colour scheme better, too.

I don't really see it as scattering. I mean are people here suddenly going to use the LQ forum and never post here again? I doubt it. Furthermore just because the LQ forum exists does not mean you are obligated to create an account and post there.

#46 2014-01-25 12:11:44

joek
#! Junkie

Eh, I am not a member of the LQ fora, and I doubt that I would become so if a #! section was added. If the LQ people want to add a #! board, I don't mind, but I would be unlikely to use it. The only fear that I would have would be that having two forums would fragment the userbase, but I honestly don't think it likely that we would lose the wonderful members of the community here to a new board... I mean, the IRC channel and the subreddit haven't noticeably taken away quality content from the forums here, so I really don't care what the people over at LQ do...

#47 2014-01-25 13:58:28

ew
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

Why can't it be both? Sometimes people develop programs to solve a particular problem and then decide to share that program with the world. Who cares if the program just started as a personal project for the author?

I agree. It can be both. But Crunchbang isn`t.

Without going into the technical stuff about how Corenominal builds the distro using the Debian Live Project, in all reality, it`s just a snapshot of the developers custom Debian install.

If Crunchbang was in front of the development in Linux and Debian, then it obviously would be another matter. But we are simply following Debian Stable without adding anything new to it. Crunchbang isn`t any kind of development. It`s a stable production system for a developer that mainly works on application-level. A very skilled and clever developer, but that`s beside the point.

- apt-mark hold account

#48 2014-01-25 14:17:24

ew
#! Die Hard

chillicampari wrote:

Ew, you're smart. You obviously have free time. If you have a distro spin, or more, and could throw one together every day if you could, perhaps you should look for like-minded people to contribute, start community building and strive for your personal best. I think that will make you much happier in the long run than you are here. smile

I`m looking for the right place for me, and I have a few possible candidates. It has to be a distro and community that`s small enough to make a difference. If I find the right project, I will also help fund it. But I doubt that I will do it all on my own, because then I will have to deal with users like me, and that`s pretty much the worst case scenario big_smile

But you are 100% correct. I probably never will be happy in someone elses one-man distro. As I`m not much of a follower. That`s never been me, in anything. I need to have a say and make a impact somehow. Otherwise I will get bored. You read me well smile

Last edited by ew (2014-01-25 14:19:46)

- apt-mark hold account

#49 2014-01-25 14:58:09

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@ew:  Are you already active with the BBQ team?  It feels like working with them would be a good fit for you.

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2014-01-26 02:49:35

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

@ew:  Are you already active with the BBQ team?  It feels like working with them would be a good fit for you.

Nope. I`ve tried different things lately, to try and find the right enviroment for me. BBQ is a great distro with very skillfull people, but I`m not quite sure that they are the right fit for me. They only do unstable, and they don`t like bloat. And they are much more old-school than me.

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer